PDA

View Full Version : Video : A Stroll on Striding Edge

GrizzlyAdams
07-05-2009, 06:39
As a college student I got to spend a year at the University of Lancaster, which is only 30 miles from the English Lake District. I joined the hiking club there and did lots of rambles, and a highlight for me that year was a week long trek that me and a couple of mates made where we stealth camped the whole way. Whenever business takes me to England and I have a chance to get back up there for a hike, I do.

Part 2 of my weekend in England had me arrive in the Lake District in mid afternoon, take a bit of a ramble around in the hills, then make my stealthy hang near the Haweswater Reservoir. In the morning I drove over to the village of Glenridding which was my trailhead for a hike up to Helvellyn via the Striding Edge. This is one of the classic Lakeland hikes.

I took a fair number of video snippets along the way, mixed in Google Earth and the Trinity College, Cambridge choir to cook up a video trip report.

Cannibal--the mist on the Lake is at 3:18. An interesting point not made in the video is that Haweswater was created in the 30's by building a dam to flood a valley that contained a village. Everyone was moved out, including the graves. I'm told that when the water is low you can see the village down there. Until recently a church spire would stick out of the water when it was low.

The link (you do want to see this in HQ) is here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGAyzHcAuYY).

UGAyzHcAuYY

Grizz

April Fool
07-05-2009, 07:10
That was very well done. Very informative about the area. The only thing I wish you had gotten was video of the dogs working the sheep. I have owned a border collie for many years.

Thanks for taking the time to make this.

gargoyle
07-05-2009, 07:21
Excellent work on the video, Ursa. looks very barren atop those ridges, no where to hang, but beatiful country.thanks for sharing your trip.

Peter_pan
07-05-2009, 07:30
Very nice report/film Grizz.... Thanks for sharing.

Pan

poker88
07-05-2009, 08:50
Wow, fantastic trip report! I love the use of google earth to show your route and all the history mixed in was very cool.

plowhorse
07-05-2009, 12:01
excellent report griz, I thank you have a future in working for the tourism board.

Dutch
07-05-2009, 12:13
Wow Griz that was great. You rally must be planning on how you were going to put this all together for us. What, no Bridge?

Perkolady
07-05-2009, 12:39
Very enjoyable TR/video, Grizz!

A while back a friend told me about hiking in that area, but they had very few photos. It was great to really get an eye full ! Loads of great info!

Thanks!

Shug
07-05-2009, 13:25
Wow Grizz .... like watching a National Geographic Special!!!!
Very well put together.....
All secure in sector seven,
Shug

pgibson
07-05-2009, 14:04
Ya, Grizz top quality video. You just gave me some great ideas on how to do some future videos. Great looking area too.

Paul

Walking Bear
07-05-2009, 14:33
Great trip report. I loved all the use of video and google. I need to start doing more video clips instead of still photos.
However, I'll never develope the skill to do a great production like that.

GrizzlyAdams
07-05-2009, 16:23
Wow Griz that was great. You rally must be planning on how you were going to put this all together for us. What, no Bridge?

That was my DIY bridge under my stealthy MacCat Delux near 3:00.

I had in mind that I'd make a video, and did a number of panning shots to show the scenery, but most of the video planning came together sitting at the computer terminal. Finding the site with Google Earth Lakeland hikes was great...spurred me on to figure how that site was talking with GE to move the view around, and tinker with its scripts a little. Was a lot of fun! The Lake District has a special place in my heart and I wanted to show it off to my US friends who may not know of it.

Thanks for the appreciative comments everyone.

plowhorse : I think I'll keep my day-job!

April Fool : I was thinking about staying where I was to get footage of the shepherds and dogs, but I was near this junction and thought the herders may have wanted to drive their sheep along the path I'd taken (they ultimately did). I didn't want to be something the sheep where trying to avoid and so got out of the way. What was interesting was that the flock by-passed the turn, and when the herders got to it they sent the dogs out to the front of the flock to drive them back to the turn and go another way.

Grizz

animalcontrol
07-05-2009, 18:07
thanks for the most informative TR!
some many outstanding places to see...so little time to see them <sigh>

Just Jeff
07-05-2009, 18:30
Great stuff, Grizz - you really make some good videos.

plowhorse
07-05-2009, 21:37
I didn't think you were going to leave it

stormcrow
07-05-2009, 22:02
The trip reports on here are just amazing!

Once again Grizz, you have outdone yourself! What a great job! I always look forward to watching your videos to look for ways to improve my own.

Stormcrow

JayS
07-06-2009, 00:24
Grizz,
Excellent video and trip report! I really envy the way you tack some hiking and hangin' onto your business trips... or is it the other way 'round? ;)

Loved "Jerusalem" - it brought back the old Emerson, Lake and Palmer days!
JayS

headchange4u
07-06-2009, 08:25
Incredible report Grizz. I nominate you for Hammock Forums international emissary. I love the integration of Google Earth.

NCPatrick
07-06-2009, 09:13
Very nice Grizz. Loved the red line showing where you went, as well as the flying all over the map. I'll be impatiently waiting for the next video postcard from "Uncle Traveling Grizz". :)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_PuZoLkvmBbc/SdE1DOw6s6I/AAAAAAAADJs/SuhIFZpSYmk/s320/Uncle+Traveling+Matt.jpg http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4866&d=1246891751

moski
07-06-2009, 11:48
Wow, that was great stuff !
I will not be easy for anyone to match your Trip report videos.
We are getting spoiled, not that i complain :D

HappyCamper
07-06-2009, 13:36
We are getting spoiled, not that i complain :D

Isn't that the truth! Great report. Thanks for taking the time to do it! Much appreciated, Grizz.

ikemouser
07-06-2009, 17:14
Thanks alot Griz, Great video.

Shug
07-06-2009, 17:18
Hey Grizz .... they are holding the MUni (off road unicycling) event in Helvellyn this year. http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77168
Now I gotta go there !!!!!!!
Whooooo Helvelyn!
Shug

slowhike
07-06-2009, 19:57
Very nice work Griz! Thanks

GrizzlyAdams
07-06-2009, 21:30
Grizz,
Excellent video and trip report! I really envy the way you tack some hiking and hangin' onto your business trips... or is it the other way 'round? ;)

Loved "Jerusalem" - it brought back the old Emerson, Lake and Palmer days!
JayS

Well, let's just say that I have many opportunities to travel on business, and ones that allow for a bit of fun too are more interesting....

The ELP version of "Jerusalem" was the only one I knew for years. Wasn't I surprised then to find it in a church hymnal (in an Anglican church of course!). And even longer after that to learn that it is sort of an informal English national anthem. I knew if I used the ELP version on the report that the digital rights filters would bust me. There's not a shred of "Brain Salad Surgery" to be found on youtube. You know there would be if there could be... The track I used is published on the web with other hymns sung by that choir, so it's OK, and definitely classic.

The trip reports on here are just amazing!

Once again Grizz, you have outdone yourself! What a great job! I always look forward to watching your videos to look for ways to improve my own.

Stormcrow

Yeah they are....living in the corn belt means often getting one's trail fix vicariously, and there fascinating reports coming in all the time. On the vids...we're all learning from each other, someone could write a PhD thesis on that tracking techniques that show up in one HF vid, which then pop up in others. We're viral, man.

... I nominate you for Hammock Forums international emissary. I love the integration of Google Earth.

I accept the nomination! I have invitation now to do Wales, and I get to Sweden every couple of years....would like to get to Australia. International HF ambassador, that's a niche I can fill...<grin> I knew you in particular would like the Google Earth stuff. Very cool system to place with. I learned enough to only scratch the surface...

NCPatrick---maybe I should use that photo as a new avatar. I've been using the same one for quite a while now...

Hey Grizz .... they are holding the MUni (off road unicycling) event in Helvellyn this year. http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77168
Now I gotta go there !!!!!!!
Whooooo Helvelyn!
Shug

There you go. Nuff said. Off you go.... Seriously though, Helvellyn is highly approachable by a number of routes (the map on the MUni list has my return route on it. Long, to be sure, but a mostly gentle slope.

That would be a sight all right, seeing a bunch of unicycles coming up over Lower Man heading for the summit! I can also give you tips on hanging near Glenridding....

Walking Bear, animalcontrol, JJ, moski, HC, ikemouser, slowhike, others that I missed---thanks! Exhibitionists like me and Shug do this because making vids is a blast, and we know others appreciate them.

Grizz

SmokeHouse
07-06-2009, 22:48
Awesome video,,, you put alot of work in this one.

Mule
07-07-2009, 23:28
Grizz, Wonderful! You are the Man. Mule