PDA

View Full Version : MA>Willard Brook State Forest, Ashby - hammock friendly?

mrmike65
05-21-2014, 11:50
Hey folks, does anyone know if Willard Brook State Forest campground is hammock friendly? I'm heading up there this Saturday with my nephew. Hope to hang, but prepped for otherwise.

Snaggletooth
05-21-2014, 11:56
Don't know, report what you find out about the park have fun!

mrmike65
05-21-2014, 12:05
Sure will :)

SemperFiGuy
05-25-2014, 05:25
Hey folks, does anyone know if Willard Brook State Forest campground is hammock friendly? I'm heading up there this Saturday with my nephew. Hope to hang, but prepped for otherwise.

Hey MrMike, Gil here. Met you at the NEHHA Winter Hang in Ashby.

Probably the best guy to ask about Willard Brook State Forest is (Tom), aka 1960HikerDude. He's from Central Mass and is very active in hanging in and around those parts. If anyone knows he would.

Generally, my experience has been, so far, that all the Mass. State Forest Parks seem to be hammock friendly, or at least hammock tolerant. I have openly hung at October Mountain State Park, Harold Parker State Park, DAR State Park, Mt. Greylock Primitive Camping Area, etc....... and no Ranger has ever advised me to the contrary. In fact, at the Mt. Greylock Primitive Camping Area, the Ranger will come to your site to make sure that all is well and will chat for a few minutes. Never said anything about my hammock.

Hope that helps. If you need a quick response, PM Tom. He's a great guy and I'm sure he'd be willing to give you a hand in finding out about Willard Brook.

All the best.
Gil

mrmike65
05-25-2014, 11:05
Thanks for the advice Willard Brook State Forest campground is hammock friendly :) The Ranger was more than open to the idea, as long as no metal was put in the trees - not that any of us would ;) most all of the camp sites could support two or more hammocks each. The campground has a small beach for swimming, some fishing and a couple of short hiking trails, but it's close enough to the other larger trails in the area. A nice little campground all in all.