PDA

View Full Version : Cuben/Cuban tarp

ikemouser
07-05-2009, 10:31
Hey everybody. In the quest for the lightest gear, cuban fiber seems to be the lightest, more repellant than sil or spinn, and tougher than both. (at least thats what others are saying on BPL, etc) I was wondering if anyone has a tarp made of it and can comment on its durability/waterproofness/"noisyness". Also does anyone know anybody whos making tarps out of this stuff? It seems like an amazing fabric if it can get your tarp down to 5oz maybe less.

hangnout
07-05-2009, 10:54
I have a DIY cuben tarp. It is lighter but I would have to disagree about it being tougher than sil or spinn. It is hard to tear but "slice's" easier when tree limbs etc rub against it.

MLD sells them http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/shopping_cart.php?osCsid=3bae40ce0aef25816d2bf6ea1 29db0fa

I would go with the spinnUL if I was doing one now. I would buy it from Brian at OES instead of DIY. Price the material then get a price from Brian and you will see that his is a great deal.http://outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/

hangnout
07-05-2009, 11:03
Here is link to a thread were cuben and tarps were discussed

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=123339#post123339

I am copying what T-Back had to say about his cuben tarp

Imo, Cuben is not the panacea fabric we had hoped it would be. I'm sure it's great for its intended purpose but falls short on duribility when it come to hiking. It is very strong and light weight but it also punctures easily. On a ship that's not a problem but under a tree in storm force winds is a differnt story. I learned a hard and expensive lesson when wind torn branches made several holes in my tarp during a thunder storm. I had to throw my ground sheet over the ridgeline of my hammock to stay somewhat dry. It was a long night. I'm with Grizz, stick with more conventional fabrics.

If an a s s goes a travlin', he'll not come back a horse...

MedicineMan
07-11-2009, 21:27
8.5oz 12'x10'
seems/stitching all excellent.
I've got an MLD DuoMid in cuben and know the material's good/bad points.
As mentioned above it is not for everyone or for every application.
I also discussed this with Brian of OES and he concurs.
But the first time you pick up this tarp the weight will astound you--or lack thereof.
My inteneded use is those hikes where every possible microgram counts and hopefully I'll be judicious in regard to potential raining branches.
Incidentally, the tarp arrived 3 weeks ahead of anticipated arrival so Ron's either working overtime or has more help than last year.
Maybe the best application for this tarp is on the PCT or Colorado Trail where you are not constanly every night sleeping under potential falling daggers?

hangnout
07-11-2009, 21:40
Know what you mean about the weight. I am with you in that I use it when I am cutting the last ounce and doing more hiking than camping.

Scotch transparent duct tape work great for small repairs. It blends right in with the cuben material

MedicineMan
07-11-2009, 22:02
sounds like you've done field repair on Cuben?
Thanks for the tip on the duct tape-i'll make sure to carry a bit.

hangnout
07-11-2009, 23:41
sounds like you've done field repair on Cuben?

A couple times, both times it was because the tarp will pitch very tight (no stretch) and something has to give when something gets pushed into it. One time was a temp spreader bar on my bridge hammock and the other was a small puncture from a limb. I have not been pitching it quite as tight so that there is a little give. The good thing is that the cuben material does not continue to rip like nylon and is easy to repair in the field.

Shug
07-14-2009, 10:25
I am waiting for Cuben to come in something other than white ....... will it? Can it? I like the weight but just am not crazy about the whiteness......
Dark Shug

hangnout
07-14-2009, 18:17
It's not white, it is Arctic Camo:D

I must admit I have ditched the Cuben tarp a few times for the heavy SG Camo tarp just to be stealthy. There was rumors of it coming in different colors but have not seen anything yet.

Oh-No
07-14-2009, 18:52
I am waiting for Cuben to come in something other than white ....... will it? Can it?
Dark Shug

It does come in colors. A friend of mine has some blue, but he reports
that tint is light. Think lightly colored Saran wrap.

MedicineMan
07-14-2009, 20:52
but my spine is color blind.

cwayman1
07-16-2009, 23:06
... Think lightly colored Saran wrap.

i forget where i saw pictures, but that seems to be a VERY applicable analogy.

Captn
09-17-2009, 11:37
There's a group over at BPL that are making a special order of Green Cuben.

Just FYI