PDA

View Full Version : Colorado???

JollyGreen
05-26-2014, 21:06
Is there any hikes or group hangs in the Colorado area? Ever? I've been on one overnighter since I've been here and don't see any in the near future, maybe I was spoiled in the Northeast?

sliver
05-26-2014, 22:51
Check this out: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ighlight=aspen

JollyGreen
05-26-2014, 23:07
Saw that but there's no dates or commitments, with all this beautiful area here there should be something every week. There are members in this area, just no activity.

sliver
05-26-2014, 23:26
Maybe the problem is not enough members. There seems to be a few here and there but kind of spread out. Maybe you should try organizing a hang for an upcoming weekend and see who gets froggy, eh?

OutandBack
05-27-2014, 10:58
Is there any hikes or group hangs in the Colorado area? Ever? I've been on one overnighter since I've been here and don't see any in the near future, maybe I was spoiled in the Northeast?

If you are talking about outdoor potlucks at reserved campgrounds? Then no.
No one I hang with enjoys that type of a hang or maybe I should say no one wants
to go thru the logistic of organizing that type of hang.

Typically I host 2-3 open to the public hangs but
most of the time my hangs are put together thru PMs and eMails since the trips are specific
to some type of outdoor activity like stealth wildlife photography, kayaking the Colorado, mtn biking the CT, winter snowshoeing at 10,000ft.
For me hammocks are just the place i sleep not the main event.

I solo most of the time and get out almost every week weather permiting.
The issue is my hang/hiking/biking/kayaking time isTuesday thru Thursday
so I can spend the weekends with my family who still works.

JG, The last time we spoke you could not make the Spring Bike Hang do to manditory overtime.
I took you off the PM list thinking that would suck seeing plans of trips you could not attend do to work.

Just to get you caught up. Flexytoy and I are working on a RedFeathers car camp/mtnbike/kayak/hike/fishing hang for the week prior to the 4th of July.
But until he scouts the area we have no plans to post in the planning thread.

hth

JollyGreen
05-27-2014, 11:24
No I never said anything about potlucks, if read my OP I'm talking about hikes, car camping or any kind of trips. I'm having to drive 9 hours to the Utah hang which is car camping. Some miles hiking on a trip would be nice once in a while.

OutandBack
05-27-2014, 11:37
No I never said anything about potlucks, if read my OP I'm talking about hikes, car camping or any kind of trips. I'm having to drive 9 hours to the Utah hang which is car camping. Some miles hiking on a trip would be nice once in a while.

Sorry when you mentioned the Northeast my first thought was MAHA's and NEHA's that type of hang.

JollyGreen
05-27-2014, 11:39
Just saying in the northeast there is always something to do, not here

mcallaghan
05-27-2014, 11:45
CO is a much larger area...covers the equivalent of a couple states in the NE. Plus, our area is much more remote.

My camping trip was cancelled this weekend since it rained all day Saturday and Sunday here. I'm in the Aspen area (car-less, so limited as to where I can get) but am planning on going camping again either Friday Night (get a ride from work from my boss to the trailhead) or Saturday (get a ride from a roomie or hike up early and spend the day relaxing by the Creek). If you think you can make it, I'd be happy for the company - pending the weather of course. This week its supposed to be in the 70's but the rain chance for the weekend is 50/50 right now.

OutandBack
05-27-2014, 12:23
Just saying in the northeast there is always something to do, not here
If you mean with other hammock campers you are probably right.
The next closes hammock owner is probably in the Springs.

JollyGreen
05-27-2014, 12:43

The Springs is just right up the road, I'll gladly drive a couple of hours to a meet.

mcallaghan
05-27-2014, 13:22
I think I am quite alone out here in Aspen/Snowmass. No one I know locally likes camping.

OutandBack
05-27-2014, 22:28
I think I am quite alone out here in Aspen/Snowmass. No one I know locally likes camping.

I think many of us are in that boat. Having different schedules and things we like to do outdoors.
I'm not a hiker for hiking sake, well at least not any more.
I can still mtn bike and kayak so those are methods of transportation I prefer.

joefbtg28
05-30-2014, 16:19
CO is a much larger area...covers the equivalent of a couple states in the NE. Plus, our area is much more remote.

My camping trip was cancelled this weekend since it rained all day Saturday and Sunday here. I'm in the Aspen area (car-less, so limited as to where I can get) but am planning on going camping again either Friday Night (get a ride from work from my boss to the trailhead) or Saturday (get a ride from a roomie or hike up early and spend the day relaxing by the Creek). If you think you can make it, I'd be happy for the company - pending the weather of course. This week its supposed to be in the 70's but the rain chance for the weekend is 50/50 right now.

I hit up the Lost Creek Wilderness last weekend despite my better judgement based on the weather forecast. Lots of Rain. Rained Friday night on the way in. Rained Saturday from 4pm-3am. Once we got wet we just decided to keep going unit we set up camp (thankfully it wasn't colder). Got another 5 miles in the rain and hail, haha. Sunday we woke up at 6:30am to no rain. Decided we should bust camp and get out of there quick. 5 miles and back to the car by 9am. Started raining 10 minutes later... All in all still a great trip.

OutandBack,
That sounds like a good time for before the 4th. I love me some biking and fishing and camping.

OutandBack
05-31-2014, 08:47
I hit up the Lost Creek Wilderness last weekend despite my better judgement based on the weather forecast. Lots of Rain. Rained Friday night on the way in. Rained Saturday from 4pm-3am. Once we got wet we just decided to keep going unit we set up camp (thankfully it wasn't colder). Got another 5 miles in the rain and hail, haha. Sunday we woke up at 6:30am to no rain. Decided we should bust camp and get out of there quick. 5 miles and back to the car by 9am. Started raining 10 minutes later... All in all still a great trip.

OutandBack,
That sounds like a good time for before the 4th. I love me some biking and fishing and camping.

Hi joefbtg28,
Glad to hear you are getting out. Lost Creek Wilderness is a cool place, very beautiful.
This time of year is always a gamble with rain. The scary part for me is wind blowing down live trees
because the soil is so wet from the snow melting.

Flexytoy is up hiking RMNP this weekend. I will be talking with him later next week.
Once we get boots on the ground and some picts of a basecamp area we'll post up in the planning forum.
I'm thinking a weekend, for thoses that work, and extending the hang into the week for those that can
take some time off. Here's some details of the place with possible hang sites.
Many lakes for bank and kayak fishing hopefully they hold fish.
The mtn bike trail looks very interesting.

Mount Margaret Trail
# 979 (formerly #167)
Canyon Lakes Ranger District
Arapaho & Roosevelt National Forests
2150 Centre Ave., Bldg. E, Ft. Collins, CO 80526
www.fs.usda.gov/goto/arp/clrd recreation (970) 295-6700

Backcountry Campsites for google earth:

N40°47.308’ W105°32.330’
N40°47.336’ W105°32.350’
N40°48.021’ W105°32.494’
N40°48.111’ W105°32.434’
N40°48.233’ W105°32.332’
N40°48.487’ W105°31.855’
N40°48.591’ W105°31.807’ I like this one...based on google maps only

From Ted’s Place, follow US-287 north for 10.5 miles to the “forks” at Livermore. Turn left onto the Red Feather Lakes Road (CR-74E). At mile marker 20.8 you will see the trailhead and parking lot on the right. There are no facilities or water. Trailer parking is available.

JollyGreen
05-31-2014, 08:58
Hi joefbtg28,
Glad to hear you are getting out. Lost Creek Wilderness is a cool place, very beautiful.
This time of year is always a gamble with rain. The scary part for me is wind blowing down live trees
because the soil is so wet from the snow melting.

Flexytoy is up hiking RMNP this weekend. I will be talking with him later next week.
Once we get boots on the ground and some picts of a basecamp area we'll post up in the planning forum.
I'm thinking a weekend, for thoses that work, and extending the hang into the week for those that can
take some time off. Here's some details of the place with possible hang sites.
Many lakes for bank and kayak fishing hopefully they hold fish.
The mtn bike trail looks very interesting.

Mount Margaret Trail
# 979 (formerly #167)
Canyon Lakes Ranger District
Arapaho & Roosevelt National Forests
2150 Centre Ave., Bldg. E, Ft. Collins, CO 80526
www.fs.usda.gov/goto/arp/clrd recreation (970) 295-6700

Backcountry Campsites for google earth:

N40°47.308’ W105°32.330’
N40°47.336’ W105°32.350’
N40°48.021’ W105°32.494’
N40°48.111’ W105°32.434’
N40°48.233’ W105°32.332’
N40°48.487’ W105°31.855’
N40°48.591’ W105°31.807’ I like this one...based on google maps only

From Ted’s Place, follow US-287 north for 10.5 miles to the “forks” at Livermore. Turn left onto the Red Feather Lakes Road (CR-74E). At mile marker 20.8 you will see the trailhead and parking lot on the right. There are no facilities or water. Trailer parking is available.

If there's fishing and kayaking I'm guessing there's water.

OutandBack
05-31-2014, 09:10
I think what they mean is water you don't have to filter.
There's basic parking and no established camp grounds.
Meaning no picnic table, fire rings, or potapotty's.

Or so I am guessing. That is why we need a scout trip.

ColoGator
06-01-2014, 18:35

hey I'm in Castle Rock!

OutandBack
06-01-2014, 18:51
hey I'm in Castle Rock!

Hi Gator, Welcome to the forum. I can see Castle Rock from my house I live just North of Chatfield Res.

ColoGator
06-01-2014, 20:44
Hi Gator, Welcome to the forum. I can see Castle Rock from my house I live just North of Chatfield Res.

Thanks OutandBack

A buddy of mine from HS (in Florida) lives in Roxborough Park and we're always texting back and forth "hey you're getting some snow over there!" and "**** you're getting bad lightning!"

Kyle
06-08-2014, 12:33
I'm not very active on the forums anymore, but I'm up in Fort Collins. I do get PMs sent to my phone, so I will respond to those. But I intend on doing at least a few trips this summer Like OaB, I tend to use the hammock simply as a place to sleep. Hiking and fishing are the goals, typically. I try to post here when I'm planning something, but I'm a notorious last-minute-planner, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's only a couple days' notice before I head out. Guess I'm difficult to work with, lol.

Sporto
06-09-2014, 08:25
Does anyone know snow conditions in the Tennessee Pass area? I am tentatively planning a trip over the July 4th holiday weekend. The plan on paper is to arrive Thursday evening with departure occurring Sunday. I would like to set up camp around Lily Lake (Leadville) to hike & trail run. Has anyone been in the area or know/heard of current snow conditions?

Thank you for any responses.

Syrrka
06-15-2014, 00:52
hey I'm in Castle Rock!
Pleased to meet you, I'm in the Springs.

i am planning to do a hike/camp up near The Crags or Pancake Rock trail this week (sometime tues-thrs) I haven't been there, but supposedly lots of trees and you can camp anywhere…they call it dispersed camping I think. Looking forward to being back in the woods.

G-Rat
06-15-2014, 04:47
Does anyone know snow conditions in the Tennessee Pass area?

We were at the Turquoise Lake FS campground last weekend. Snow is essentially all gone.

Sporto
06-15-2014, 17:12
We were at the Turquoise Lake FS campground last weekend. Snow is essentially all gone.

Thank you @G-Rat.