PDA

View Full Version : 6x10 ?

KMACK
07-06-2009, 18:16
Is a 6x10 tarp too small? Etowah makes a sil one that size...10.5 oz?? I think its only a couple of inches narrower than a McCat standard. Just wondering if any one uses a 6x10 for summer/fair weather hanging.

Roadtorque
07-06-2009, 18:23
If your looking to keep the sun or bird doo doo off of you it should work fine. Like you said it is more of a fair weather tarp. It will keep rain or wind off of you, but probably not both. Is it the weight or the price of the tarp that is more appealing. If it is light weight you are looking for you can get a lot bigger tarp from OES for the same weight.

KMACK
07-06-2009, 18:28
I cant really say what it is...I'm in the market for a new tarp and I keep going back to it. Trust me, I want a OES Deluxe or maybe the standard or even a 8x10 or, or, or, or... See what I mean...?

Frawg
07-06-2009, 19:02
Is a 6x10 tarp too small? Etowah makes a sil one that size...10.5 oz?? I think its only a couple of inches narrower than a McCat standard. Just wondering if any one uses a 6x10 for summer/fair weather hanging.
Call me a masochist, but I've been playing with a 5' x 10' rectangle. Kept me dry with an A-frame pitch in some moderately heavy rains last week. Had to drop it down to the hammock ridge line but I'm fortunately not particularly claustrophobic. :scared:

In a previous test during a very heavy downpour, with rain driven by swirling 30 mph wind gusts, I got soaked from underneath as well as from both ends. I've a weird idea to try next time we get some heavy rains here. Even if it works I'll probably still need a weather shield under the hammock.

IIRC, something on one of Risk's pages hooked me on the 5x10. It's an interesting challenge, though nothing to take lightly. (eewww, sorry!:rolleyes:)

In the long run I'll probably migrate to a 7x10, perhaps a tad longer.

Roadtorque
07-06-2009, 19:03
Yeah I hear ya. Its been a year now that I have been without a tarp... cuz I cant make up my mind on which to get. I finally decided to go with a 14x10 black OES maccat. Its being made as we speak. If I had known OES had tarp colors besides gray I think I could have made my choice sooner. So many manufactures, sizes, shapes, and colors to chose from. I feel your pain

DuctTape
07-06-2009, 20:59
The one and only time I made my own tarp. I only hemmed the edges and attached some loops for lines on a spare piece of sil I got my hands on. The tarp enede up being 5' x 11'. It actually works quite well for a hammock due to the 11' length. As others pointed out, the protection from the side is almost non-existent. However, with some creative pitching and if the direction of the wind is constant (LOL) I can make it work. Nonetheless it is my fair weather tarp.

sclittlefield
07-06-2009, 21:09
The stock tarp with a HH expedition is really not much more than an 8x5 tarp, hung a-symmetrically. Use your 6x10 that way and you'll have better side coverage. Still, that would be pushing the limits for me.

I just made a monster tarp that pushes the other limits (11' ridgeline, 13' outer idge length, 10'6" wide, 20oz). I think I'll go with an 11x10 hex cat-cut next.

speyguy
07-06-2009, 21:48
For summer use when I'm expecting good weather, I will take my homemade 5 x 9. Plenty of coverage for the little unexpected shower. If you are expecting and anticipating more extreme weather, then size up. Otherwise, it will work fine and save you some weight.

SmokeHouse
07-06-2009, 22:37
The stock tarp with a HH expedition is really not much more than an 8x5 tarp, hung a-symmetrically. Use your 6x10 that way and you'll have better side coverage. Still, that would be pushing the limits for me.

I just made a monster tarp that pushes the other limits (11' ridgeline, 13' outer idge length, 10'6" wide, 20oz). I think I'll go with an 11x10 hex cat-cut next.

Awwwwwwwwwwww,,, sclittlefield, I was wondering when you were going to get your tarp done... would love to see some pic's...

Topplestack
07-07-2009, 15:17
I just finished a cat tarp that I think has great dimensions for a 3 season tarp. It has a 11' ridgeline coming down to a 9' by 8' box. The distance between cat cuts at the center of the tarp is only 7'. I wanted to make it wider, but the Walmart bargain bin only had 52" wide Sil. At a $1.50 a yard I was more then happy to make these dimensions.

gargoyle
07-07-2009, 15:35
Nice work, but dont let walmart know, they'll end up raising their prices. Your fabric looks alot like mine. Have you done a waterproof test on it?

Topplestack
07-07-2009, 17:44
Before I started I poured a little over a gallon into the fabric in a bowl shape. After about 20 minutes I did see a few drops coming through. Will do a better test with the hose tomorrow evening. I'll put a thin coat of home brew over it if it doesn't live up to my standards.

Topplestack
07-07-2009, 19:35
At any rate. I also have a 6'x10'. If I am expecting decent weather, it's a great ultralight tarp. Hanging it Asymmetrical on something like an asymm hammock and it's decent for either rain or wind, but not both at the same time. You could hang it low against your hammock ridgeline and be ok. I think it was stated earlier, it depends on whether you are looking at ultralight or price.

sclittlefield
07-07-2009, 21:14
Awwwwwwwwwwww,,, sclittlefield, I was wondering when you were going to get your tarp done... would love to see some pic's...

I'll definitely put some pictures up when I get a chance. I'm off to Belize for a couple weeks, leaving tomorrow, so it will have to be after that. I really really like your design, it was really cleverly done - hope you don't mind me copying. :)

Before I started I poured a little over a gallon into the fabric in a bowl shape. After about 20 minutes I did see a few drops coming through. Will do a better test with the hose tomorrow evening. I'll put a thin coat of home brew over it if it doesn't live up to my standards.

That would make it ripstop with a good DWR ("durable water repellent") coating. That's what 99% of what looks like silnylon at Wal-Mart actually is. I've used it in 4 tarps, it held up well... much better than it should have, but I wouldn't trust it long term or with monsoon rains. I think I'll do what you're talking about, a DIY sil coating. Still can't beat the price.

Topplestack
07-08-2009, 00:03
I find it easier to work with the regular ripstop then coat it myself. I use the washout tape to make my seams all nice and straight. The tape doesn't stick to sil, even if it did, it wouldn't wash out.

Wasn't this thread about tarp size though?

KMACK
07-08-2009, 00:23
Yes it was about size...but thats fine. My question was answered...I'll be looking for a 8x10 tarp.