PDA

View Full Version : First weekend trip pics + details

Rug
07-06-2009, 20:23
Unlike the majority on this site I do not hike. I bike instead. As hammocking is a niche to camping recumbents are a niche to bikes.

I ride a Longbikes Slipstream. It is a long wheelbase 2-wheeled bike with underseat steering. It is very comfortable to ride.

My ride was a 158km round-trip that started at home, took me to a Provincial park for 2 nights and back. I mostly rode empty county roads so that I could avoid most of the traffic. The total weight of bike + all gear was 130lbs. The bike alone weighs ~60lbs. The food and water that I brought was the biggest weight penalty. Considering that this was my first trip I need to lean to better manage the consumable weight.

All photos can be found here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/o2kewl/TripPhotos?authkey=Gv1sRgCLqLw7CtvZnM5gE&feat=directlink

Please provide any feedback and input. I will be sending the hammock to 2QZQ soon for mod#2.

Note about the lashing I used: It is a variation on the Hennessy Knot, but much quicker to do. I have found that the lashing held the hammock + gear with only 2 wraps and no knots, so the 5 wraps total gives me a sence of security (and I always finish with a slippery half hitch). The lashing have not slipped after 2 nights and 2 days in the the hammock.

I also have some homemade gear that I will be posting pictures of in the DIY section. It is a sleeping pad made out of milk bags that kept me very warm down to 55^F.

I forgot to mention the best part; When I woke my back did not hurt! I have had damaged disks in my lower back for 22 years, and I can honestly say that this was the first time I woke without pain.

swampfox
07-06-2009, 21:42
As you already know, a hammock makes perfect sense for biking. You're really going to enjoy the not hurting when you wake up.:)

gargoyle
07-06-2009, 23:45
get a trailer, that load looks big and top-heavy. nice bike and good report. as for that knot.... check grizz's videos for more solutions, they are extremely helpful.

NCPatrick
07-07-2009, 08:26
I also have some homemade gear that I will be posting pictures of in the DIY section. It is a sleeping pad made out of milk bags that kept me very warm down to 55^F.

Congrats! Looking forward to seeing the pics... we don't have milk bags down here where I live, it'll be interesting to see how you've used them. Hopefully you washed them out well, otherwise, eww... :eek:.

Darrel
07-07-2009, 08:37
Hey Rug,
Thanks for sharing your setup. Nice Bikes!
My wife and I have been riding bents for several years now.
Here is a shot of our homemade "Long Easy" ( Tour Easy spin off) .

http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/photos/albums/userpics/10003/Halloween_08_001croped.jpg

We tour and camp and use under seat storage to keep the weigh low and centered. We also strive for "Lightweight loads" and keep the weight to a minimum.
I have a full front fairing and tail box that will soon be on these full time.

I have some buddies that like the Burly Utility Trailers
(Nomad) but I have never personally tried one.

Bents are to cycling as Hammocks are to camping... Comfortable and very cool.:cool:

Cheers,
Darrel:)

HappyCamper
07-07-2009, 08:46
Cool bikes! I've never seen someone pack up a recumbent bike like you did. Thanks for post and picks. I'm sure this is going to give others with bad backs ideas how to camp. Between the bike and the hammock you've got it down. As for the weight, you'll do better with more experience and planning I'm sure. Good job!

gargoyle
07-07-2009, 08:51
Milk bag sleeping mat here. bags for beds.com. Looking forward to your demo video.

Darrel
07-07-2009, 08:51
Close up of mine:
http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/photos/albums/userpics/10003/SilverBike_edited.jpg
I had a friend weld up the frame and I built it up from there.
Before these we road short wheel base Rans Rockets:
http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/photos/albums/userpics/10003/Rocket_001.jpg
-Darrel:)

SmokeHouse
07-07-2009, 09:04
Very nice,,, I have a friend that Mt bikes and hammocks...

Shug
07-07-2009, 10:01
Sweet rides. What a way to go and hang. Been mean to go on a long trip on my touring unicycle!
Saddle-Sore Shug

Darrel
07-07-2009, 10:14
Hey Shug,
Super Uni ya got there.;)
OK, Stupid question time....:eek:

Do they make a unicycle that has coast capabilities ?
Say for example one came upon a long gradual downhill and didn't need to peddle, could you in fact stop peddling and coast if you wished to rest or must the crank be kept constantly in rotation?

Also have wondered about steep hills and the potential for gearing or crank ratio options.

I am just a wee bit too old to try to learn but childlike enough to think I could :scared:.. Looks like a lot of fun.

Cheers,
Darrel :)

Shug
07-07-2009, 10:19
Hey Shug,
Super Uni ya got there.;)
OK, Stupid question time....:eek:
Do they make a unicycle that has coast capabilities ?
Say for example one came upon a long gradual downhill and didn't need to peddle, could you in fact stop peddling and coast if you wished to rest or must the crank be kept constantly in rotation?
Also have wondered about steep hills and the potential for gearing or crank ratio options.
I am just a wee bit too old to try to learn but childlike enough to think I could :scared:.. Looks like a lot of fun.
Cheers,
Darrel :)
Coasting requires putting a foot up on top of the tire to control speed and the other foot on the uni frame.... free pedals. Quite hard ... I cannot do it yet.
They do make a geared hub ... Two ratios: 1:1 and 1:1.5 (high gear mode).
Here is a link: http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1197
I believe that it is never to late to learn and have fun and get scabby!
Sorry to steal thread.
Terrific trip!!!!

Alan
07-07-2009, 10:31
I ride a Longbikes Slipstream.

Excellent 'bent!

I've had my share of 'bents and trikes while rehabilitating from a near-fatal motorcycle accident back in '01. I've always loved the Slipstream.

mbiraman
11-20-2009, 00:04
nice pics and report on your first outing. I'm just starting in the hammock world but have been riding bents for 4 yrs. At the moment my ride is a Barcroft Dakota. Look forward to ridin and hanging

trigger hurt
11-20-2009, 05:53
Good pics.

Nice bike...although I've always wondered about the learning curve on steering one of those things, but it looks much more comfortable than being hunched over handle bars for several hours.

Maybe I'm the only one that caught this picture. I can't be the only sci-fi nerd on this website.