PDA

View Full Version : DriDucks Poncho Mod w/ BB

StumpJumper
07-07-2009, 10:41
Has anyone tried using one of these (ala JRB Mod) with their BB?

I really like the idea and I'm interested in the multi-functionality for both wearable gear and warm summer night exterior coverage.

Has anyone tried folding these and using it between layers for your lower 1/3 with a 2/3 UQ? My pack is lightly framed (Osprey Exos) so laying on that isn't an option. Trying to avoid carring a seperate 1/3 foam pad.

Any experience or suggestions would be great. Really enjoying the forum!

HobieCat

lazarus
07-07-2009, 15:31
i've been using my jrb driducks poncho mod installed the "full" jrb way with a jrb torso length uq, above 40 degrees, and have been very happy. i think the creation of the dead air space below the hammock is more useful than folding the poncho and lying on it would be...

StumpJumper
07-07-2009, 16:38
i've been using my jrb driducks poncho mod installed the "full" jrb way with a jrb torso length uq, above 40 degrees, and have been very happy. i think the creation of the dead air space below the hammock is more useful than folding the poncho and lying on it would be...

So what is the "full" JRB mod? I know most of the JRB stuff is a little tailored towards the HH. Did you have to alter it for your BB?

Looks like attachments on all four corners, a pull-thru running the length of the bottoms to cinch it and center hammock tie-offs... If I'm not mistaken? I'm considering ordering the poncho and DIY as long as there's no need for a sewing machine.

Peter_pan
07-07-2009, 17:27
So what is the "full" JRB mod? I know most of the JRB stuff is a little tailored towards the HH. Did you have to alter it for your BB?

Looks like attachments on all four corners, a pull-thru running the length of the bottoms to cinch it and center hammock tie-offs... If I'm not mistaken? I'm considering ordering the poncho and DIY as long as there's no need for a sewing machine.

HobieCat, et al,

All of the JRB under quilts will fit all of the known single camping hammocks and most of the ENO style double hammocks, including the WBBB, HH, Speer, Claytors, Clarks, Byers, ENOs etc.... Only the Nest and the Winter Nest were specifically designed for the HH, Yet they will also work on any hammock.

Pan

BrokeEnthusiast
07-07-2009, 18:28

Do you have pictures?

animalcontrol
07-07-2009, 19:28
Do you have pictures?

here is a pic of a DD poncho with a complete JRB mod (the velcro pieces are not used...just he corner attachments) on my BB
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/1/5/3/4/img_0004_575880.jpg

StumpJumper
07-08-2009, 11:33
Great pic - thanks.

The poncho looks like it'll more than cover head-toe on the BB. I love multi-purpose gear, I'll be picking one up.

Out of curiuosity, does anyone have an estimated temp rating for the stand alone poncho? Is this merely a "weather shield" or a makeshift HH-SS (minus foam, I realize)? I've got a couple mid-upper 50's nights ahead and I'm wondering whether to leave my UQ behind.

Thanks

animalcontrol
07-08-2009, 12:20
Great pic - thanks.

The poncho looks like it'll more than cover head-toe on the BB. I love multi-purpose gear, I'll be picking one up.

Out of curiuosity, does anyone have an estimated temp rating for the stand alone poncho? Is this merely a "weather shield" or a makeshift HH-SS (minus foam, I realize)? I've got a couple mid-upper 50's nights ahead and I'm wondering whether to leave my UQ behind.

Thanks
I have not used it as a stand alone for the simple fact I always have a sit pad with me.
by itself, the DD poncho really doesn't offer any insulation...stops wind convection I suppose. The general theory is it 'adds' about 10*F of range to whatever insulation your using (by creating dead air between itself and your hammock). So, IF I wanted to assume that was true stand alone, the question would be "Can you sleep without any under insulation at 60-65*F. I know I can't...others can.
If you carry a thin (1/8 ccf) pad, I would guess you could get to the mid 50's no problem. Again, assuming your not a cold sleeper. A 2/3 length ccf pad would add 2-3oz in weight.

Things to think about