PDA

View Full Version : TX>Anybody Want To Bake Some Butts? 3rd Annual Butt Bake Discussion Thread

sargevining
06-02-2014, 12:12
I'm seeing a bunch of new folks posting coming from TX and a couple of the lesser States. I did some research and found that the Statute of Limitations has expired on most of the violations from the last one, with the possible exception of You Know What done by You Know Who, but I think we'll be able to skate on that one if we all stick to the story we made up at the time. I know there's no REAL velociraptors in SHNF, but that's only because we killed the two who were threatening those orphans (wink wink). Seriously guys, that's the only story we can tell that fits the evidence.

Anyway;

Who's up for a Third Annual Butt Bake and when?

I'm headed out in the next couple of weeks with the Wilderness Ministry to follow a route to Neiderhoffer Lake. That's a 4 mile hike from Parking Lot #8, with a half mile of bushwhacking at the end to get to the lake. It also means that the route will be pre-explored, and who gets lost going to the same lake twice?

OK, maybe I should say "Who gets lost twice going to the same lake twice?"

OK, never mind, You guys know what I mean, and we shouldn't scare the noobs with senseless discussions of navigational deficiencies.

We can do the pot luck thing on Friday night, and the hike the next day. If we settle on a date before the 27th of this month, I might also be able to get the key to the gate for the road leading up to Neiderhoffer, which means we should be able to stage gear/water at the Saturday night campsite and slack pack in from PL#8.

For those who haven't been there, Parking Lot #8 is shown on this Map:

http://lonestartrail.org/maps/LSHTparking.pdf

Neiderhoffer is shown on this Map of th Four Notch Section of the LSHT:

http://lonestartrail.org/maps/simple/06fournotch.pdf

lanejustin
06-02-2014, 12:24
I'm up for it, especially since I won't actually be able to make the Wilderness Ministry trip.

newjack214
06-02-2014, 17:12
I'm down with finally getting to the Tx BB. Although, I'm out of town the second weekend in August. I was out at Hidden Lake on May 3rd for the night with a co-worker, he wanted to take pictures of the milky way and other constellations but didn't want to go to Huntsville State Park. It was nice and the lake was nice and high with plenty of drinking water, after treatment of course.

sargevining
06-03-2014, 06:34
Looks like I'm going to be able to get the keys to the gate at Niederhoffer Lake. This means we can stage packs over there, or even move the location to the Lake.

Caveman
06-03-2014, 13:02
Watching. I'll let you know for sure as the date gets a bit closer.

rhjanes
06-03-2014, 13:36
Their evidence wasn't incriminating enough. Sort of like Jon Voight driving off at the end of Deliverance. that Sheriff who told us to never come back....can we avoid him?
Doubt I'll have time off to make it. And my broken foot of 5 years ago, seems to be demanding surgery later this summer....at least that is what two doctors have said after looking at X-Rays. I hiked 40+ miles on it.....but can't move a toe and almost assaulted the doctor when he tried.

Watching for dates.

TexasPhil
06-03-2014, 14:47
I am also watching and will let y'all know when the date gets closer.

sargevining
06-04-2014, 00:14
So---

Somebody toss out a date or two.

Last time we discussed August but changed to July for Spaceweaseal.

I always like going on full moon weekends. Full Moon in July is the 12th, which is a Saturday. and In August its on the 10th, which is a Sunday.

lanejustin
06-04-2014, 00:39
Either one is great for me.

spaceweaseal
06-04-2014, 00:43
Find out the date and I can try to make it. ..

UncleMJM
06-04-2014, 11:47
I'm pretty sure I can make almost any date for at least the Friday night portion so I'll be watching and committing later when things get more nailed down.

ZaMonkey
06-04-2014, 18:17
I would be interested in showing up, and either date would work for me.

rhjanes
06-04-2014, 21:59
wait....sarge is talking about a DIFFERENT lake to go "lose map contact trying to find"....
Last time, Hidden lake was the target.....

sparkygeek
06-06-2014, 16:16
Either weekend mentioned works well for me so I'll tag along whatever y'all decide.

gospidey
06-06-2014, 18:42
please put me in the dark pencil.

Zort
06-06-2014, 18:44
I'll say I'm in for either date, just need to know when I'm requesting the time of from work. Looks like we have interest from the usual suspects...and from the unusual ones as well.

Gazelle
06-06-2014, 20:33
August would work with me. I'll keep an eye on the thread. Need to find a summer UQ to test out.

sargevining
06-06-2014, 20:54
Looking at August myself. Will be working out some details with Yorik next weekend when I'm up in Big D for Father's Day, but lets say the weekend of 8 August for right now.

Who might be coming down from Dallas/Carrollton area who can offer a ride?

lanejustin
06-06-2014, 21:12
I'll be coming from Austin and would like to ride with someone to save on gas, but not required.

mgreg.scout
06-06-2014, 21:16
I think I can make august 8th. I usually camp monthly but I've missed the last 3 months due to travel. I'm looking forward to a week under the stars out in the Davis mountains in July

Gazelle - I'll be skipping the UQ and packing a fan.

sargevining
06-06-2014, 21:26
wait....sarge is talking about a DIFFERENT lake to go "lose map contact trying to find"....
Last time, Hidden lake was the target.....

Yes, and in a couple of weeks I'm taking one for the team and will try to get lost out there at the new lake. Even if I get lost that weekend, what are the odds that a guy can get lost looking for a lake twice, twice?

sargevining
06-06-2014, 21:33
August would work with me. I'll keep an eye on the thread. Need to find a summer UQ to test out.

I make what I call an ELQ---Extremely Lightweight Quilt. Its good in the 65-70 range---just enough to take the chill off if the temps get around 70. I use recycled stuff for the insulation, so its pretty cheap. PM me if you want one. Mr Gregg is right about the fan, though---

Last year the Butt Bake wasn't so Butt Bakey. Night time temps hovered right around 70. Some folks needed a little something, others didn't. I generally do. But if the temps are around 75 or above, you might not want anything.

Snaggleroot
06-06-2014, 22:18
Now who wouldn’t be up for a good, old fashioned butt bakin’. Count me in, too.

BossLady
06-08-2014, 21:37
Room for (tentatively) one more? If I can get off work, count me and Wandermutt in! Is there a date set yet? Seemed a few were thrown out, but not confirmed?

sargevining
06-09-2014, 07:15
We're going with the weekend of 8 August. I'll have the "official" post up at lunch today with maps, directions, etc.

These pics are from the Lone Star Trail Hiking Club's Facebook page. They just made this same hike this weekend for National Trail Days. It appears to be OK for swimming (for one guy at least). Someone might be able to catch a fish or two from the pier.

Looking at that last one, I think Zort knows the way there, although he's not in the picture.

I'll be going to SHNF HQ on 26 Jun to get the keys to the lake for the Wilderness Ministry trip, and will reserve the site for the Butt Bake then. There is a 20 person maximum for camping at the lake, but its my understanding that there's no cost. What this means is that participation in Friday's Pot Luck will be unlimited, but we can only take 20 people to the lake. We'll start making a list of who's coming on the "official" post that I make at lunch.

Zort
06-09-2014, 13:03
Looking at that last one, I think Zort knows the way there, although he's not in the picture.

I see what you did there...a wagon in the picture. No, i learned my lesson from Caveman and Spaceweasel...I'm off the wagon from now on. Besides, there was talk last time of putting it up on blocks.

sargevining
06-09-2014, 13:43
"Official" thread here:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?94454-Texas-gt-Willis-gt-Third-Annual-Texas-Butt-Bake-gt-8-10-August&p=1271387#post1271387

sargevining
06-09-2014, 14:03
I see what you did there...a wagon in the picture. No, i learned my lesson from Caveman and Spaceweasel...I'm off the wagon from now on. Besides, there was talk last time of putting it up on blocks.

Dang.

I was hoping to call you "Wagon Master" from now on----