PDA

View Full Version : NJ > Allaire State Park > June 7, 2014 -- Hammock Friendly Sites

mychal
06-02-2014, 14:58
I'm gonna try to take my kids to Allaire Saturday. Since I'm only going one night, the people who answer the phone there tell me I can't use ReserveAmerica, but that I have to call on Saturday to reserve. So couple questions:

1) Anybody have any idea which sites are hammock-friendly, at Allaire?
2) Anybody have enough Central Jersey camping experience to know if any sites are likely available on Saturday when I call, since I can't reserve online ahead of time?

I also called Cheesequake, but they said they don't allow hammock camping. Ugh.

Any other locations any would recommend, say, no more than 15 minutes south of Allaire or 30 minutes north or west of Cheesequake? I'm in East Brunswick, but one kid has a soccer tourney in Ocean Twp. We've got a million soccer games and birthday parties we have to shuttle kids to/from that day, so just trying to sneak in a non-back yard quickie.

I also called Turkey Swamp, and might try there Saturday, but I can't call...I have to walk up...

Looking for advice from the vets. Thanks in advance.

SilvrSurfr
06-02-2014, 15:24
Might be tough to get any advice 'cause those campsites aren't very popular among the NJ HF members. I've stayed at Turkey Swamp Park and it's on my list of "never again" camping spots. Overcrowded, loud, and an entirely forgettable experience. However, there were lots of trees, as I recall.

SilentOrpheus went to Allaire once for a bachelor party, but I think he stayed in a cabin.

Ratdog
06-02-2014, 15:32
Can't reserve online, huh?

That's stinks.

They get $20 a night and most rentals are weekend so they are trying to maximize the $$

Some folks from here have hammocked at Allaire, I'm not one of them...yet.

As for other options, no State campgrounds spring to mind, perhaps a private one.

mychal
06-02-2014, 15:35
Yeah, I was worried about that. All those campgrounds in Jackson or thereabouts are pretty shady...and I don't mean "shady" in a good way...more like an episode of Cops. Butterfly and Timberland and whatnot.

mychal
06-02-2014, 15:47
Can't reserve online, huh?

That's stinks.

They get $20 a night and most rentals are weekend so they are trying to maximize the $$

Some folks from here have hammocked at Allaire, I'm not one of them...yet.

As for other options, no State campgrounds spring to mind, perhaps a private one.

I can reserve online if it's greater than one night. I didn't think to ask if I could just pay for both nights, but only show up for one night. Or I guess I'd book Saturday/Sunday nights, and just leave Sunday morning. Or maybe I'll just stealth in Bruce Springsteen's yard.

silentorpheus
06-02-2014, 15:55
Shoot HF member Treywilly a PM - I think he's the one shoe hung at Allaire. Or at least he organized a trip there at some point - not sure if they ever went or not. But that's the closest you'll likely get to any real intel.

SilvrSurfr
06-02-2014, 17:00
Shoot HF member Treywilly a PM - I think he's the one shoe hung at Allaire. Or at least he organized a trip there at some point - not sure if they ever went or not. But that's the closest you'll likely get to any real intel.

He never went - another unsuccessful meetup.com gathering (though Deadphans was supposed to show). I saw Treywilly actually got two people to come to a Pine Barrens hang this weekend. Success at last!

Jshep420
06-03-2014, 06:44
Haha. I love turkey swamp for my trailer! I was there last weekend. It is very loud and a lot of kids. Some sites have trees but not too good. 8705287053

If u call u can get spots, but no reserve America. U need to talk to a ranger on the phone. If you leave them a message they will call you back. The Rangers are very very nice there!

When I was there last weekend was at site 11 and they had 4 or5 decent trees. Definitely take a drive through Turkey Swamp before you choose what site you want to get because trees are limited. 87054

The Tree Frog
06-06-2014, 20:39
Or maybe I'll just stealth in Bruce Springsteen's yard.

I like this idea better. That is as long as Bruce has some trees!

SilvrSurfr
06-06-2014, 20:47
I went by his Rumson house on my canoe once - not a lot of trees as I recall.

mychal
06-06-2014, 20:50
Colts Neck property, then. It's a horse farm, so probably _some_ trees. Or I'll just hang on his back deck.

The Tree Frog
06-06-2014, 20:59
Sounds good. Tell him I said hi if you can before being run off!

SilvrSurfr
06-06-2014, 20:59
Bruce seems like real people. A few years back, my wife and I were bowling with the kids in Red Bank (alley since burned down). I looked over and in the next lane was Bruce and Patti and the kids. I said to my wife, "That's something you don't often see - Bruce Springsteen bowling."

My wife, being somewhat oblivious in general, said, "How do you know it's Bruce Springsteen?" Well, geez, because it's Bruce Springsteen and Patti Scialfa maybe? Rather than be awkward, I said hi to Bruce and Patti and he was quite nice.