PDA

View Full Version : What tarp is recomended for a Skeeter Beeter Pro?

Ricky&Jack
06-04-2014, 11:55
My used Skeeter Beeter that I bought over in the W.B. forums should be here today.

What tarp do you recommend?

it's my first hammock, and I hear that SBP is bigger than some hammocks. Is there a minimum size tarp that I need?

Also, I bought my first sewing machine a few days ago. Does walmart carry the right size/light-weight tarp that I can buy and modify myself? Or is it better to just buy an actual hammock tarp?

If you have any links, it'll be appreciated.

I bought the Hammock to take my Husky on hiking trips (he sleeps on the ground)

Any recommendations and links would be appreciated.

thanks.

SilvrSurfr
06-04-2014, 12:57
I'd buy an actual hammock tarp - I doubt Walmart sells anything worth modifying. Look for something with an 11 ft. ridgeline length. The Hennessy Hex is a popular starter tarp.

Ricky&Jack
06-04-2014, 13:04
I see on Henneseys website its:

Hex Rainfly 30D Silnylon for $140
Hex Rainfly 70D Polyester for $79

I'm so completely new to hammocking, I will need to find out what the difference is etc. Time to do research, I guess. lol

aboyd
06-04-2014, 13:20
I have used several on my SBP. Started with a Kelty Noah 12. As far as hammock tarps go, it is big and heavy, but a nice tarp none the less. I also used several DIY tarps, mostly with 12 foot ridge lines. My son uses it now, and I have him an 11' ridge line tarp I made. It works, but might be a little small for real bad rain. I would say stay with something close to 12 foot on the ridge.

SilvrSurfr
06-04-2014, 13:26

I'm so completely new to hammocking, I will need to find out what the difference is etc. Time to do research, I guess. lol

Silnylon is lighter; therefore more expensive. I was recommending the poly tarp as a starter - affordable with lots of coverage. It weighs 23 oz, compared to the 18.6 oz silnylon. Silnylon stretches when wet so people usually use tarp tensioning systems (shock cord or flexible tubing) to take up the slack, which may negate or at least diminish the weight savings over poly.

The lightest tarp material is cuben fiber, but you'll pay an arm and a leg for it ($395). I have the HG Cuben Fiber Winter Palace. At 8.5 ounces, it has almost identical coverage to the Warbonnet Superfly (19 ounces). For the price and coverage, I'd say the Superfly is one of the best 4-season tarps you can buy.

goobie
06-04-2014, 21:28
A skeeter beeter pro is a 10-1/2' hammock, no need to lug around a 12' tarp. With a hammock ridgeline around 8' 9", a 10' tarp will have plenty of coverage. I use a DIY asym tarphttp://diygearsupply.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/DIYGS-UL-Asym-Tarp-lowres.jpg (a minimal coverage tarp) with my SB (not the pro) that has an 11' ridgeline and have stayed dry in some fairly heavy rain. If you're looking for your first DIY project it doesn't get much easier than the tarp I linked.

sefus
06-18-2014, 13:50
Superfly!

I tried making other stuff work; a tent fly, a tarp... nothing beats a light, purpose built fly no mater how much it costs... for backpacking anyway. If you're just car camping set up an EZUp and enjoy.

KngFhearts
07-22-2014, 11:23
I use the ENO Profly, and am pretty happy with it.:thumbup1:

stephz0r
08-11-2014, 15:28
I use a MacCat Deluxe and love it!

TimberbeastWaco
08-11-2014, 18:35
SBP is the same size as a Grand Trunk Single.

My used Skeeter Beeter that I bought over in the W.B. forums should be here today.

What tarp do you recommend?

it's my first hammock, and I hear that SBP is bigger than some hammocks. Is there a minimum size tarp that I need?

Also, I bought my first sewing machine a few days ago. Does walmart carry the right size/light-weight tarp that I can buy and modify myself? Or is it better to just buy an actual hammock tarp?

If you have any links, it'll be appreciated.

I bought the Hammock to take my Husky on hiking trips (he sleeps on the ground)

Any recommendations and links would be appreciated.

thanks.

Opus87
08-12-2014, 19:00
I have the SBPro and use the Warbonnet Mambajamba and works out great. Also use the REI Half Dome Tent poles for my pole mod. Makes for a lot more space inside.

Opus

TimberbeastWaco
08-13-2014, 11:34
Any tarp with a 12' ridge line, I used a Cabela's 9x12 Diamond shape, works great, I can even close the windward end if needed, also have a Kelty Noah 12, love it more versatile.

abialecki
09-28-2014, 12:18
Hey everybody long time lurker first time posting. Ive only been hammocking for 6 months and Ive tried several inexpensive options. My first attempt was a 5x7 blue tarp from harbor freight. unfortunately that only provides 8 feet give or take of coverage. That night I was in a unbelievably bad storm, lightning, thunder and forest gump type rain. From that very wet miserable experience I made some changes. My next set up was a blue and grey 8x10 walmart tarp. This provided just about 13 feet of coverage and enough tarp on both sides where if the rain and snow is coming in sideways you dont get wet. After using that tarp for a couple months i decided I needed to go lighter. So I went to home depot and got 2mm plastic painters drop cloth. What I did was cut a piece off the roll 14 feet long. The plastic sheet was 72 inches wide. I reinforced the edges and corners with duct tape and put a few knife slits over few feet to pass paracord through. On my next backpacking trip it worked out perfect, the weight reduction was noticeable and it packed snugly into a 2 liter mountain dew bottle. Put it over my full length paracord ridge line only to discover 72 divided by 2 is 36 and thats 3 feet and thats not wide enough to sleep comfortably(at least to me). That night it was very hot almost 80 degrees and because of the short sides I had to pitch the "tarp" very low which gave me almost no air flow. Combined with my DIY survival blanket under quilt and my new 0 degree bag I was testing for the first time, I was completely drenched with sweat, almost as wet as my experience with the 5x7 in a storm. Since those errors I have gone back to the 8x10. My local home depot was having a sale on blue 8x10s single ply poly weave tarps so I bought like 5 of them. So after all that Id say 8x10 will do, 10x10 would be ideal but if you want to spend your hard earned money on a sil-nylon tarp that you have to maintain, do it. Just seems to be a lot of work to me, and I am a cheap skate, 3 dollars tarps work fine IMO

goobie
09-30-2014, 17:41
Just a few questions while I admire your resourcefulness, if you don't mind.

Why was it necessary to pitch your 6' wide tarp so low? Unmentioned rain I would think. 14' long, but only 6' wide? Why so long and skinny?
80* with a 0* bag? What is this DIY survival blanket UQ?

Lastly, what is involved in maintaining a silnylon tarp? I guess I've been neglecting mine by just putting them away dry.

TimberbeastWaco
10-01-2014, 10:08

I use a kelty 12x12 and love it, I also have a Cabela's 9x12 and have turned it sideways.

OregonBushcraft
10-31-2014, 19:39
I use a PahaQue HM20R. It works GREAT! It's a little heavy but for $40 I think it's an awesome value.

rigidpsycho
12-14-2014, 16:08
I use the GT Funky Forest tarp, the GT Athh(as a tarp) over my SBPRO

Madbeachcrew
01-17-2015, 13:25

I use a eno XL. It has apps 12' ridge line and keeps everything dry. A bit heavy, but the regular pro fly was wet.

JCinPA
01-26-2015, 19:23
I got the Grand Trunk All Purpose Rainfly, erroneously labeled the Funky Forest Tarp on Amazon. It is 10 feet square with additional tie-outs along the edges and on the diagonal ridgeline so it can be hung 'traditional' diamond pattern, but is still large enough to be pitched square for a large covered area in porch mode.

It is designed similarly to the Kelty Noah, which I also looked at, but I thought I wanted something a bit bigger than the Kelty Noah 9' and the 12' seemed like it might be a bit big for me, so I went with the Grand Trunk.

I have not camped with it, but I pitched it all once and it is really a great size. I like it a lot. It's polyester so should not stretch as much as nylon tarps and it is very well-constructed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IikjqnawUko

Tacoma96
01-26-2015, 20:52
The WL Big Daddy works great with the GTSB.

JCinPA
02-01-2015, 15:22
There are a lot of good tarps out there, but for reasons you'll see below I like square patterns with lots of tie-outs because they are so versatile. I have the Grand Trunk All Purpose Rainfly at 10' square. Rather than retype here is a post from me in another thread.

++++++++++

Sounds like you are all set, but in case other folks come in here to learn about beginner tarps, I thought I'd chime in. I got the Grand Trunk All Purpose Rainfly (APR, erroneously sold on Amazon as the Funky Forest Tarp). Here's why.

1. I like hanging out under my tarp when I'm not sleeping if it's rainy or super sunny. For this reason I shied away from the uber-light tiny tarps that will keep you dry in your hammock but are good for nothing else.

2. I like the square pattern because you can pitch it so many different ways. Diagonal for longest ridgeline, square for nice wide porch mode on both sides, square closer to the ground on one side to shield wind, from the extra edge tie-outs so you can pull the corners in for some doors (may be partial depending on size. It's a great all-purpose shape.

I heard good things about the Kelty Noah 9' and 12' but the Grand Trunk APR was 10' square and I just thought that was the right size for me. A 9' is a good size, certainly big enough for most uses, the diamond ridgeline would be 121.7'. The 12' just seemed too big to me, it has a ridgeline of 17' :scared:. Probably great for a true, 4-season choice. The 10' Gt APR has a ridgeline of about 14' (14.1 to be exact) and in true 3-little bears fashion, I chose that one. I'm sure someone makes an 11' square tarp, I just did not find it (15.5' ridgeline on the diamond pitch).

The Noah 9', GT APR, and Noah 12' at Amazon will run you $60, $67, and $70, shipped. Construction on the GT is great, and it is polyester, so it won't stretch. I'm not pushing the GT APR by any means, but it is very solidly made, and I consider it almost identical to the Noahs so it just fills out the too hot, too, cold, just right length choices. I'd recommend all three of these as good tarps to learn on and be creative with your pitches.

Here are some excellent square tarp pitches for the ground (could be useful if you have a midday downpour that should clear and you are not ready to pitch camp). Great article on why this is such a great design. I think a well-rounded backpacker should know how to use his gear on the ground anyway. Well worth the read.

http://sectionhiker.com/square-tarp-pitches/

8'x8' Jacks R Better square tarp in diamond over hammock from Jeff's Page. Certainly big enough to keep you dry in your hammock plus a little, but I'd want just a tad more.

The Kelty Noah 9' in diamond also from Jeff's pages. Probably plenty big but I wanted a little more.

This one is from Terra Rosa Gear (don't know them) but it shows a 10' square tarp pitched on the inner tie-outs on one side showing how you can rig a door, other side is in porch mode.

The Kelty Noah 12' in full winter mode

I would say this is a tarp type recommendation, not a tarp brand recommendation. I think the GT and Kelty are pretty equivalent on construction quality. I just think a 9-12' square setup with additional tie-outs along the edges and in the middle are very versatile "first tarps" for beginners, and you can get one for a bit less money than a more intricate design/material, yet still sell it later when you have your heart set on an "uber tarp".

Chum!
02-01-2015, 16:38
There are a lot of good tarps out there, but for reasons you'll see below I like square patterns with lots of tie-outs because they are so versatile. I have the Grand Trunk All Purpose Rainfly at 10' square. Rather than retype here is a post from me in another thread.

++++++++++

Sounds like you are all set, but in case other folks come in here to learn about beginner tarps, I thought I'd chime in. I got the Grand Trunk All Purpose Rainfly (APR, erroneously sold on Amazon as the Funky Forest Tarp). Here's why.

1. I like hanging out under my tarp when I'm not sleeping if it's rainy or super sunny. For this reason I shied away from the uber-light tiny tarps that will keep you dry in your hammock but are good for nothing else.

2. I like the square pattern because you can pitch it so many different ways. Diagonal for longest ridgeline, square for nice wide porch mode on both sides, square closer to the ground on one side to shield wind, from the extra edge tie-outs so you can pull the corners in for some doors (may be partial depending on size. It's a great all-purpose shape.

I heard good things about the Kelty Noah 9' and 12' but the Grand Trunk APR was 10' square and I just thought that was the right size for me. A 9' is a good size, certainly big enough for most uses, the diamond ridgeline would be 121.7'. The 12' just seemed too big to me, it has a ridgeline of 17' :scared:. Probably great for a true, 4-season choice. The 10' Gt APR has a ridgeline of about 14' (14.1 to be exact) and in true 3-little bears fashion, I chose that one. I'm sure someone makes an 11' square tarp, I just did not find it (15.5' ridgeline on the diamond pitch).

The Noah 9', GT APR, and Noah 12' at Amazon will run you $60, $67, and $70, shipped. Construction on the GT is great, and it is polyester, so it won't stretch. I'm not pushing the GT APR by any means, but it is very solidly made, and I consider it almost identical to the Noahs so it just fills out the too hot, too, cold, just right length choices. I'd recommend all three of these as good tarps to learn on and be creative with your pitches.

Here are some excellent square tarp pitches for the ground (could be useful if you have a midday downpour that should clear and you are not ready to pitch camp). Great article on why this is such a great design. I think a well-rounded backpacker should know how to use his gear on the ground anyway. Well worth the read.

http://sectionhiker.com/square-tarp-pitches/

8'x8' Jacks R Better square tarp in diamond over hammock from Jeff's Page. Certainly big enough to keep you dry in your hammock plus a little, but I'd want just a tad more.

The Kelty Noah 9' in diamond also from Jeff's pages. Probably plenty big but I wanted a little more.

This one is from Terra Rosa Gear (don't know them) but it shows a 10' square tarp pitched on the inner tie-outs on one side showing how you can rig a door, other side is in porch mode.

The Kelty Noah 12' in full winter mode

I would say this is a tarp type recommendation, not a tarp brand recommendation. I think the GT and Kelty are pretty equivalent on construction quality. I just think a 9-12' square setup with additional tie-outs along the edges and in the middle are very versatile "first tarps" for beginners, and you can get one for a bit less money than a more intricate design/material, yet still sell it later when you have your heart set on an "uber tarp".

I had my mind set on a Kelty 12'x12', but after playing around with structural ridge line this weekend and reading your post, I think I'll go with the Grand Trunk All Purpose tarp. By shorting the over all length of the hammock by adding the ridge line I think the 12'x12' will just be over kill. 10'x10' square sounds exactly what I want now.

karbo
02-01-2015, 18:09
I'm 6'3" and my skb gives me plenty of room, and i use a older tarp 8x10 and it covers me well, but when it rains my suspension lines get wet. I camped 2 day's ago and used a 10x12 tarp and i think this is the size i will use. Plenty of room to cover the skb, but i like having extra covered area and my dog has plenty of room. My problem is i understand these light weight tarps, i just have a hard time spending that kinda money for a tarp when my tarp works just fine. If i am car camping or hiking i don't worry so much about weight as long as it work's. I bought a tarp at harbor freight and its crap i do use it as a ground tarp for my dog, got one at academy and used it one time , looked at it the following morning and it had a hole. Good luck in your search.
s

Chum!
02-07-2015, 10:32
My Grand Trunk 10'x10' Funky Forest Tarp came in today...I can't wait for a free minute to go play with it!

goobie
02-07-2015, 11:01
Browse theses while your waiting to get outside with it

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/61655-grand-trunk-funky-forest-tarp

http://theultimatehang.com/2012/10/pitching-the-grand-trunk-funky-forest-tarp-for-all-weather/

Very versatile tarp, great coverage with many pitching options.

Chum!
02-07-2015, 11:19
Good deal! I saw the video on youtube, but didn't read these posts before making my purchase...I feel like I made the right decision!

JCinPA
02-07-2015, 12:12
Just so you know, the Funky Forest Tarp is no longer made. Amazon erroneously labels one that way when it is, in fact, the All Purpose Rainfly (APR). The APR is 10' x 10'. I love mine.

Chum!
02-07-2015, 13:45
Just so you know, the Funky Forest Tarp is no longer made. Amazon erroneously labels one that way when it is, in fact, the All Purpose Rainfly (APR). The APR is 10' x 10'. I love mine.

Thanks, I noticed that after I commented above...all the better, Funky Forest is kind of a stupid sounding name for a tarp.

Chum!
02-07-2015, 19:06
I had a few minutes to play in the back yard today, so here it is! 102641102645 It looks great and I am excited to play around with the configurations this tarp offers.

Oh...and this is my 50th post!

thrillseeker
05-20-2015, 22:22
I use an eno dry fly fits perfect. I have used it in wind and snow and rain. So far so good. Packs up small too.

born2blove
05-27-2015, 14:37
I am going to order Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Hammock at Amazon $69, and $45 on Kelty Noah's Tarp, but I dont know 9x9' or 12x12' which one is good for Grand Trunk
please give me some advise.
Thanks

HandOfGod
05-28-2015, 00:33
I am going to order Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Hammock at Amazon $69, and $45 on Kelty Noah's Tarp, but I dont know 9x9' or 12x12' which one is good for Grand Trunk
please give me some advise.
Thanks

I just ordered the same combo earlier this week. I did the Skeeter Beater Pro and the Kelty Noah 12 foot. I will not be backpacking so weight was not going to be an issue for me. The Arizona sun is brutal so the bigger the shade the better was my reasoning. I also ordered 100 feet of para cord so I could play with ridge line combinations

CoastieRon
08-26-2015, 21:25
When I first got my SBP I used a regular tarp. Then I bought a UST 1.0 tube tarp. Now I use a PahaQue single hammock tarp.http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/26/3229065a6d20157657040a4d2e75e011.jpg

The kids use the UST tarps now. One thing I don't like about the PahaQue is the stuff sack. Takes up too much room in bag....

cspan37421
09-12-2015, 16:27
I have a Skeeter Beeter Pro and just acquired a Noah's Tarp 12 for it. I even got the tarp back in their little square bag after checking it out.

But while checking it out I had a couple of concerns. One was that the instructions only described how to set it up in a diamond configuration, along the diagonal. OK, I know how to rotate it and can see that there would be loops in the middle of the sides so that it could be hung square with an "over" ridgeline, or even with under too. However, I noted some design features of the Kelty that implied to me that it's not really designed to go that way. For one thing, the taped seam only runs along the diagonal, so you would lose the benefit of having your tarp ridgeline be seam-sealed.

Another thing is that the seriously reinforced areas are only at the corners, not the middle. There's a bit of doubling to the fabric for each of the many loops of the tarp, but nothing like what they have at the corners, where they have grommets as well. So I wonder how tight you'd want to go across the top RL if you hung it square.

Finally, due to the catenary cut-outs on each side, hanging it square produces a ridgeline of only a bit over 10 feet (not counting stretch - though it's not clear how much you'd really want to stretch it since it's not as reinforced that way - nor taped at all). The SBP is probably very close to 9 feet wide after accounting for sag, so this leaves rather little at each end for overlap. The minimum.

Perhaps this is all making a mountain out of a molehill ... but I wonder if I should have gone for the 9 instead and stuck to hanging the tarp in a diamond. I bought the 12 because I liked the versatility it was said to have - hanging in so many configurations, and the ability to nearly make a tent out of it with either the A-frame square hang or the "boat" like (ark like?) with doors. People do seem to use it that way, but I'm not sure they have a hammock as long as the SBP to worry about, and I do wonder how tight they pull the middle along the ridgeline.

Hanging the 12 diagonally would be pretty challenging. You'd need trees at least 18' apart, meaning that the SBP would have to be hung from at least 7' high. For larger trees it's really hard to get the straps up that high.

I'd welcome thoughts on any of these questions/concerns. Thanks -

LuvmyBonnet
09-12-2015, 16:47

If you are going to spend $140 on a tarp I would highly recommend the Warbonnet Superfly over the Hennesey!

cspan37421
09-14-2015, 21:46
Follow up to my question above - I reached Kelty customer service today and posed my questions about the Noah's Tarp 12 to the CSR.

On the plus side, my wait on the phone (about 5 min) wasn't nearly as long as they warned (15 min). I got a cheerful CSR who sounded like a native speaker. On to my questions though, and IMO his answers were vague.

When I asked if the Noah's 12 Tarp was meant to be hung on the diagonal, given the locations of its most reinforced tie-out points and the taped seam, he said something to the effect that yes, that's the best position for it, that's what they intended, and that's what they recommend. But he went on - there are a lot of tie out points, and it was designed to be extremely versatile - so use your imagination, etc. So then I asked, well, suppose you hung it square, and had a tarp tear at a tie-out point along what would be the square ridgeline. Would it be covered under warranty? What is your warranty? He hedged a lot. I think he might have even said it's "kind of" a lifetime warranty. And if it failed, they would want to inspect it to see why it failed. Was it a manufacturing defect, or was it used improperly? What's improper? We'll just have to make a judgment on that.

Besides square and diamond, I thought of a couple other ways it could be hung. Someone here on HF suggested hanging diamond and tucking back under the excess length of RL back to the first tieout you see on the ridgeline. Based on a rough schematic I'm guessing this would produce about a 12'9" ridgeline. You'd get the benefit of the taped seam but still be pulling on one tieout that's not in a corner. The other way is asymmetric. Has anyone hung it asym? I'm guessing about a 11'6" ridgeline if you rotated it off diamond to the first tie-outs you get to. I don't think it requires much rotation but the way the cutouts work, I think it probably makes a big difference in RL length.

Dill Pickle
09-18-2015, 11:47
I use a Superfly from Warbonnet.

willhang1
04-12-2016, 19:32
Superfly is what I use with my SBpro

mrbomb
04-21-2016, 11:35
I just got the Chinook 12x9 from Amazon, tried it out last weekend and it worked great over my SBPro.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160421/4b8844c4d29124579048aff746a37166.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160421/4b975dae2d9c4c81a0a9d47dd833bd58.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160421/a32b1510fb8d1391c5100771c799cc55.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk