PDA

View Full Version : Laundering directions

gargoyle
07-12-2009, 13:45
:cursing:My local bird population just desicrated my gargoylebird tarp, wwwaaaahh:cursing:.Apparently, boysen berries are a good laxative. yuk!
So, I'm looking for suggestions on washing poo from my now purple and o.d. green tarp. Regular washing machine? gentle-cycle? Or do I go to the laundry-mat.? Whats the standard procedure here? and hammock as well?

angrysparrow
07-12-2009, 13:51
I wouldn't put either in a machine. YMMV - but here's what I do -

For the tarp, string it up tautly and hand wash it with a rag and some soapy water. You may have to use your hand to support it from behind, if any scrubbing motion is needed. Spray with a hose to rinse it.

For the hammock, hand wash in either the sink or tub, using just a little laundry detergent. Hang outside to dry.

Darby
07-12-2009, 20:55
I took my DIY hammock & tarp to the laundromat & used a front loader (no agitator) with "technical" detergent. It worked OK, BUT, I could have achieved the same results in the bathtub without spending the coin on the machine. The attendant was not happy because when I pulled the hammock (waterproof) out of the machine it was holding alot of water which ended up on her spotless floor:scared::scared::scared:. So I promptly asked her for the mop and cleaned up my mess. The same thing happened with the tarp, luckily I was prepared for that. My reason for this was musty gear (being packed wet). As angrysparrow said , a hose & sponge for the tarp and the tub for the hammock is by far the easiest method. The only thing I do different is that I use a cleaner made for WP material.