PDA

View Full Version : NJ>Lower Forge>7/12/14>1st Annual GSHDANJ Blueberry Hang

Pages : [1] 2

SilvrSurfr
06-19-2014, 00:05
Y'all got to come pick some wild blueberries and huckleberries this time of year.

This seems like the best weekend to have a quality blueberry pick, based on personal experience. However, I will rely on the reconnaissance or reconnoitering abilities of Ratdog to affirm whether my blueberry prognostications are indeed accurate.

July 12 will also be a full moon supermoon (when moon really close to earth, kemosabe).

We could also consider Mullica River campsite since you can also paddle to it.

natureboy68
06-19-2014, 08:58
I'm in! Definitely down to paddle, I have a canoe and two 9' kayaks...mmmmm...blueberries :drool:
FYI the full moon at perigee will be 358,258 km away! And july's full moon is called buck/thunder/hay moon!

perrito
06-19-2014, 09:21
I thought that trees were sparse at Lower Forge.

silentorpheus
06-19-2014, 09:53

If you get the right sites, Lower Forge can house a handful of hammocks. However there is a limit to what numbers LF can support.

I wouldn't try and get much more than maybe 9 - 10 hammocks in there - and that's assuming you were able to get sites 4,5,6, and 7. We did 8 people for our paddle in April, using sites 4-6. That was pretty maxed out.

Sites 1-3 and 8 are pretty useless, and 9 has some trees but it's on the far end of camp.

natureboy68
06-19-2014, 11:33
Dang it! I have a retirement party on saturday! I can do thursday to friday??

Ratdog
06-19-2014, 12:13
I prefer the Mullica River campsite because I can hang next to the water and there's no dadgum bluff to hike up and down to the get to the boats.

Mullica River paddle is a more mellow paddle than the Upper Batsto and is an easy hike in if that's preferred. That campsite is also located in a Wilderness Management Area which should mean fewer folks foraging for berries. But it does have less undercover in the immediate camp area. Not sure about the walk to Batsto, haven't been on that trail in a while. Shuttle is a little easier to do for the Mullica as well.

That said, the Upper Batsto is a beautiful paddle in sections, if you can handle the non stop zig zagging. At lower water levels it's a pain to paddle. Though, we sure could do some creek maintenance if we wanted to spend 8 hours getting there.

All rambling aside. I will be out checking on berries weekly, need to free my radicals and I am very anti oxidant, dang oxidants.

SilvrSurfr
06-19-2014, 12:18

I'm not opposed to Mullica River, which has mo' betta trees. However, to my recollection Lower Forge has a lot more blueberries.

When we hang at a wilderness campsite like Lower Forge (or Mullica River, for that matter), we usually have a lower head count since hiking or paddling is required to reach the sites (unless you're Ratdog with 4WD, an intimate knowledge of Pine Barrens backroads, and a family of sherpas).

Ratdog
06-19-2014, 12:27
I'm not opposed to Mullica River, which has mo' betta trees. However, to my recollection Lower Forge has a lot more blueberries. Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. Just wasn't sure about the walk out of Mullica towards Batsto, was thinking it might get bushy along there. But the hike from Atsion to Mullica River Campsite, not so bushy, nice walk, just not a lot of blueberries.

I do need to scout the other side of the river from Mullica River Campsite, that may hold some promise and there are a few old roads on that side.

When we hang at a wilderness campsite like Lower Forge (or Mullica River, for that matter), we usually have a lower head count since hiking or paddling is required to reach the sites (unless you're Ratdog with 4WD, an intimate knowledge of Pine Barrens backroads, and a family of sherpas).

We can sherpa into the parking area near Lower Forge. (unofficial, non sanctioned, non protected parking area) And that's about a 10 minute walk into camp. Could also paddle upstream from Quaker Bridge to get to Lower Forge, shouldn't take too long.

Ratdog
06-19-2014, 12:28
Among other noteworthy events, the NJ Pine Barrens is home to the first cultivated highbush blueberry. Today, New Jersey, (specifically, the Pinelands of Atlantic and Burlington Counties) though diminuitive in size, remains the second-largest producer of blueberries nationwide, behind only Michigan. NJ's 52 million pound harvest comes from only 7,600 acres, and Michigan's 83 million pound harvest comes from 16,700 acres. When one considers that that 80% of Jersey's blueberries come from Atlantic County (Hammonton area), it's easy to see why Hammonton is the "Blueberry Capital of the World!" (2006 statistics from USDA/NASS)

http://www.pineypower.com/blueberries.htm

Black Foot
06-19-2014, 12:32
I'd be interested in this...maybe Tinkr can come too. Like to hike in but little wary of ticks this time of year in the Pine Barrens (and everywhere else in the mid-Atlantic). Hate those little blood suckers :scared:

SilvrSurfr
06-19-2014, 12:59
I'd be interested in this...maybe Tinkr can come too. Like to hike in but little wary of ticks this time of year in the Pine Barrens (and everywhere else in the mid-Atlantic). Hate those little blood suckers :scared:

We call this "gargle with permethrin" season in the Pine Barrens, and ticks love blueberry bushes more than bears or humans do. I'm even gonna treat my thong for this trip!:lol:

SilvrSurfr
06-19-2014, 13:38
Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. Just wasn't sure about the walk out of Mullica towards Batsto, was thinking it might get bushy along there. But the hike from Atsion to Mullica River Campsite, not so bushy, nice walk, just not a lot of blueberries.

I do need to scout the other side of the river from Mullica River Campsite, that may hold some promise and there are a few old roads on that side.

The walk from Mullica to Batsto is decidedly non-bushy, whether you take the detour (all roads) or the old Mullica trail where the bridge washed out. In fact, the reason I usually hike from Atsion or up the Mullica River trail to reach Lower Forge is because of the lack of bushes (and ticks). The terrain is mostly grassland under the pines. If the goal is blueberries, Mullica River just can't hold a candle to Lower Forge - it's Blueberry (and Tick) Central.

We can sherpa into the parking area near Lower Forge. (unofficial, non sanctioned, non protected parking area) And that's about a 10 minute walk into camp. Could also paddle upstream from Quaker Bridge to get to Lower Forge, shouldn't take too long.

Not sure if I'm bringing my canoe - probably not, but if I do I'd drop in at Quaker Bridge and paddle upstream. I don't want to spend 6-10 hours paddling from Hampton Furnace in low-water conditions. The upper Batsto would be a major pain this time of year. All my canoe trips on the Batsto/Mullica have been at a flood stage between 1.15 feet and 3.5 feet. In July you can expect to see a .5 ft. flood stage - the upper Batsto would be unimaginably brutal.

I know SilentOrpheus and I have done recon on Lower Forge and that sites 4, 5, 6 and 7 are best for hammocks, but I'm not sure if 10 hammocks is the most we could get into Lower Forge. Seems kinda low. Wish we had a video tour.

Wilson
06-19-2014, 14:08
The walk from Mullica to Batsto is decidedly non-bushy, whether you take the detour (all roads) or the old Mullica trail where the bridge washed out. In fact, the reason I usually hike from Atsion or up the Mullica River trail to reach Lower Forge is because of the lack of bushes (and ticks). The terrain is mostly grassland under the pines. If the goal is blueberries, Mullica River just can't hold a candle to Lower Forge - it's Blueberry (and Tick) Central.

Not sure if I'm bringing my canoe - probably not, but if I do I'd drop in at Quaker Bridge and paddle upstream. I don't want to spend 6-10 hours paddling from Hampton Furnace in low-water conditions. The upper Batsto would be a major pain this time of year. All my canoe trips on the Batsto/Mullica have been at a flood stage between 1.15 feet and 3.5 feet. In July you can expect to see a .5 ft. flood stage - the upper Batsto would be unimaginably brutal.

I know SilentOrpheus and I have done recon on Lower Forge and that sites 4, 5, 6 and 7 are best for hammocks, but I'm not sure if 10 hammocks is the most we could get into Lower Forge. Seems kinda low. Wish we had a video tour.

Tadaaaaa! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBSxc3DW3z4

SilvrSurfr
06-19-2014, 14:26
Tadaaaaa! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBSxc3DW3z4

Thanks. I posted that over in our "Best Hanging Sites" thread.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?72290-NJ-Pine-Barrens-Which-New-Sites-Are-Suitable-for-Hanging

natureboy68
06-19-2014, 14:31
some things cannot be unseen...

We call this "gargle with permethrin" season in the Pine Barrens, and ticks love blueberry bushes more than bears or humans do. I'm even gonna treat my thong for this trip!:lol:

Wilson
06-19-2014, 14:40
Thanks. I posted that over in our "Best Hanging Sites" thread.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?72290-NJ-Pine-Barrens-Which-New-Sites-Are-Suitable-for-Hanging

You're welcome. That's good to know :)

SilvrSurfr
06-19-2014, 14:51
You're welcome. That's good to know :)

Once the ReserveAmerica system was implemented they put fire rings at every campsite and came through and hacked down a bunch of trees (as you can see by all the stumps in Ratdog's video). All the Pine Barrens campsites were a lot more hammock friendly before they came in and murdered all those trees.

Wilson
06-19-2014, 15:09
Once the ReserveAmerica system was implemented they put fire rings at every campsite and came through and hacked down a bunch of trees (as you can see by all the stumps in Ratdog's video). All the Pine Barrens campsites were a lot more hammock friendly before they came in and murdered all those trees.

Those responsible should be tied to a tree and Whoopie Slung!:scared:

SilvrSurfr
06-19-2014, 16:35
Looking at Ratdog's video, I think we could get more than 10 hammocks in Lower Forge. With a few continuous loops or dogbones, I can easily hang between trees 20 ft. apart (in my backyard I hang between anchors 25 ft. apart).

Stalker42 said over in the "best hanging sites" thread that he got three hammocks on site one to the left of the pullout (though the camera doesn't pan over enough to see this). Site two doesn't look totally useless - might be able to get two or three hammocks in there. Might need to recon Lower Forge again!

silentorpheus
06-19-2014, 16:39
Looking at Ratdog's video, I think we could get more than 10 hammocks in Lower Forge. With a few continuous loops or dogbones, I can easily hang between trees 20 ft. apart (in my backyard I hang between anchors 25 ft. apart).

Stalker42 said over in the "best hanging sites" thread that he got three hammocks on site one to the left of the pullout (though the camera doesn't pan over enough to see this). Site two doesn't look totally useless - might be able to get two or three hammocks in there. Might need to recon Lower Forge again!

Yeah, my estimates for Lower Forge are conservative. Like I said, we had 8 using dies 4-6, and we might have been able to squeeze one max 2 more in there somewhere around the fire pit. To do any more, you'd have to book most of the camp. Then again, that's not outside the realm of the NJ crew. :)

Either way, I'm probably out for this one, as I think I have to travel to KY for business that Monday. But we'll see ...

njredneck
06-19-2014, 17:47
More than likely I'm in. That last time we did not use site 6. I think this one will be a pack-it gourmet trip for me. We could always do a potluck with them.:rolleyes:

The Tree Frog
06-19-2014, 17:55
Am I correct, Lower Forge also has no water? Pump that is...

njredneck
06-19-2014, 17:56
Am I correct, Lower Forge also has no water? Pump that is...

You are correct you have to filter or treat from the Batsto river or carry in all your water.

silentorpheus
06-19-2014, 18:12
That last time we did not use site 6.

Oh, you're right. I forgot - Ratdog was on the edge of the little hill that drops down into 6, but he wasn't actually in 6.

In that case, you could add 3 more hammocks between sites 6 + 7, and probably at least 2 in site 9. If there's truly a little spot for 3 in site 1, then if you booked most of the camp you could probably get 12+ in there.

Ratdog
06-19-2014, 18:21
Right now there is only 1 confirmed and 3 maybes.
Not worth getting more than one site yet.

If I go, I'm gonna travel light. P-it G sounds like the plan.

SilvrSurfr
06-19-2014, 18:40
I think this one will be a pack-it gourmet trip for me. We could always do a potluck with them.:rolleyes:

I really like this idea for a couple of reasons: 1) As you know, I just got a bunch of Pack-It Gourmet, stuff that I'm excited to try; and 2) it would be great to go on a hang where I didn't have to listen to my wife say, "Every time you go on a hang you spend at least $100." She watches that credit card like a hawk.

The Tree Frog
06-19-2014, 18:41
Right now there is only 1 confirmed and 3 maybes.
Not worth getting more than one site yet.

If I go, I'm gonna travel light. P-it G sounds like the plan.

I'm a definite maybe. I just ordered from Packit Gourmet. We may need to travel light.

silentorpheus
06-19-2014, 18:51
I really like this idea for a couple of reasons: 1) As you know, I just got a bunch of Pack-It Gourmet, stuff that I'm excited to try; and 2) it would be great to go on a hang where I didn't have to listen to my wife say, "Every time you go on a hang you spend at least $100." She watches that credit card like a hawk.

So THAT'S why you asked me to do your shopping for you :lol: Good thing I charged it to the card that my wife doesn't see.

SilvrSurfr
06-19-2014, 19:01
So THAT'S why you asked me to do your shopping for you :lol: Good thing I charged it to the card that my wife doesn't see.

I'm working on building up funds in the "card my wife doesn't see" fund. You should come to this hang just so I can repay you for the groceries you bought. Your reason for not coming is lame (as in, lamer than some of the excuses I've heard from our most famous no-shower). You can't come 'cause you're travelling to Kentucky on Monday? Huh?

silentorpheus
06-19-2014, 19:05
I'm working on building up funds in the "card my wife doesn't see" fund. You should come to this hang just so I can repay you for the groceries you bought. Your reason for not coming is lame (as in, lamer than some of the excuses I've heard from our most famous no-shower). You can't come 'cause you're travelling to Kentucky on Monday? Huh?

No, as in I have a limited number of nights per week that I can realistically leave my wife to tend to the little guy by herself before she may try to strangle me with my whoopie slings.

Since I may be out of town for a day or two immediately following that weekend, that kind of uses up my goodwill for that time period ...

Ratdog
06-19-2014, 19:26
No, as in I have a limited number of nights per week that I can realistically leave my wife to tend to the little guy by herself before she may try to strangle me with my whoopie slings.

Since I may be out of town for a day or two immediately following that weekend, that kind of uses up my goodwill for that time period ...

I believe that's what we call wiggle room...

mychal
06-19-2014, 19:27

I read this as a good thing: seems like your wife is really into the hammock gear.

aircoder
06-19-2014, 19:29
Me and Mrs Coder are in the parents are taking the kids for the weekend.

SilvrSurfr
06-19-2014, 19:43
Me and Mrs Coder are in the parents are taking the kids for the weekend.

What????? No screaming kids? Where's the ambient noise gonna come from when I take an afternoon nap?:lol:

aircoder
06-19-2014, 20:04
Well if your that upset I'm sure my parents will let us take them up on the offer another weekend and we can bring them with... :lol: but you get to chase them this time!

What????? No screaming kids? Where's the ambient noise gonna come from when I take an afternoon nap?:lol:

Jshep420
06-19-2014, 22:46
Can I drive mo's car there?88049
Not sure about this one but it's a maybe for me!

fallkniven
06-20-2014, 15:51
I've got a few wild blueberry hotspots in wharton. Not near any campsite though, but they are near where I lived in a tent in the woods for a few years. Man, that was a great time. I'd be eating bowls of blueberries for breakfast for weeks right about now....
I may pop in for this, ticks don't bother me, I still end up wandering through the thick of it even in the summer.....

SilvrSurfr
06-20-2014, 16:26
I've got a few wild blueberry hotspots in wharton. Not near any campsite though, but they are near where I lived in a tent in the woods for a few years. Man, that was a great time. I'd be eating bowls of blueberries for breakfast for weeks right about now....
I may pop in for this, ticks don't bother me, I still end up wandering through the thick of it even in the summer.....

It'd be great to see you again. Why don't ticks bother you? Do they hate wool or something?

P-47ChowHound
06-20-2014, 17:06
I am in, fresh blueberries trump ticks.

The Tree Frog
06-20-2014, 17:33

Getting ticks on you doesn't bother you or the ticks don't bother with you?

fallkniven
06-20-2014, 20:27
Ha, no I've just gotten used to them. Learn to check frequently, and never assume an itch is just an itch, wait a second to see if that itch crawls. They love me all the same, but I also never really wear shorts, long pants and tall boots seem to help a lot. Sitting on a chair or blanket, it's the little things that help....

silentorpheus
06-20-2014, 20:41
Ha, no I've just gotten used to them. Learn to check frequently, and never assume an itch is just an itch, wait a second to see if that itch crawls. They love me all the same, but I also never really wear shorts, long pants and tall boots seem to help a lot. Sitting on a chair or blanket, it's the little things that help....

I just figured you wear that ghillie suit you made, and they can't find you out there. ;)

Lauremideus
06-20-2014, 22:42
I'm out for this one. I am going down to AR from 11-14.

SilvrSurfr
06-20-2014, 22:53
Right now Lower Forge looks like a viable campsite since we have four definites and seven maybes:

1. In

Silvrsurfr
Aircoder +1
P-47ChowHound

2. Maybe

njredneck
Ratdog
The Tree Frog
Jshep420
fallkniven
Tinkr
Black Foot

I have no problem moving this to Mullica River campsite if hanging capacity is a concern. Better swimming and fishing at Mullica River, but less blueberries.

aircoder
06-20-2014, 23:00
I only have one hammock until I order the new t-bird so I believe one of us will be going grounded for the trip...

SilvrSurfr
06-20-2014, 23:03
I only have one hammock until I order the new t-bird so I believe one of us will be going grounded for the trip...

No reason to be on the ground, unless you wanna be. I'll loan you a hammock/tarp and I may have insulation to loan as well.

aircoder
06-20-2014, 23:04
That would be fantastic! if you don't mind......

No reason to be on the ground, unless you wanna be. I'll loan you a hammock/tarp and I may have insulation to loan as well.

Jshep420
06-20-2014, 23:18
How long of a kayak trip is it? And can you drive to the site? I'm off on the weekend so this one may work for me.

SilvrSurfr
06-20-2014, 23:30
How long of a kayak trip is it? And can you drive to the site? I'm off on the weekend so this one may work for me.

As for kayaks/canoes, depends on how long you wanna paddle. You could drop in at Quaker Bridge and paddle upstream and I think that would be 2-3 hours. On the other hand, if you dropped in at Hampton Furnace upstream at this time of year with low water levels, I think it would be 6 to 10 hours.

You cannot drive to the site but you can get within a half mile, assuming you have a 4WD. I personally wouldn't try it with 2WD unless there were historic drought conditions.

aircoder
06-20-2014, 23:37
Ahh Mo's car could make it. with allot of pushing... :lol:

You cannot drive to the site but you can get within a half mile, assuming you have a 4WD. I personally wouldn't try it with 2WD unless there were historic drought conditions.

mattyoc20
06-21-2014, 07:13
Hoping to make this one

Deadphans
06-21-2014, 07:20
Can you guys clone me? I believe I have a birthday shin dig/graduation party for my cousin that weekend. Ill check on that today.

mychal
06-21-2014, 07:31
I think I'm in. I'm be bringing my 11 year old and my 12 year old. We'll decide if we're paddling in the next few days. I have an AWD Pacifica. Sort of a tweener 4WD. I might just drive to the lot, unless one of you talks me out of it because I drive a soccer Mom SUV. Might be bringing my 9 and 7 year olds, too, and then we'd definitely drive.

This would be about the 5th time in the last couple years a sled/cart would be nice, so I'm probably gonna finally invest in one. Any recommendations?

Ratdog
06-21-2014, 07:43
I think I'm in. I'm be bringing my 11 year old and my 12 year old. We'll decide if we're paddling in the next few days. I have an AWD Pacifica. Sort of a tweener 4WD. I might just drive to the lot, unless one of you talks me out of it because I drive a soccer Mom SUV. Might be bringing my 9 and 7 year olds, too, and then we'd definitely drive.

This would be about the 5th time in the last couple years a sled/cart would be nice, so I'm probably gonna finally invest in one. Any recommendations?

If we do Lower Forge, I will drive back with you, it gets a little sandy when making the left after Quaker Bridge. Doable, but can be tricky in spots. More than one Subaru has been stuck.

A garden wagon with inflatable tires works as a cart. I can throw one in the back of the truck.

If we do Mullica River, the car will be fine. The wagon will still be handy.

Jshep420
06-21-2014, 09:03
I may be driving. Small hike are my thing! Leaving my jeep and bring mo's car! Haha

SilvrSurfr
06-21-2014, 14:49
Right now we have four who have committed, and 13 maybes. We can wait a couple of days, but we should probably reserve sites pretty soon. If these numbers hold up, Mullica River is probably the better location.

1. In

Silvrsurfr
Aircoder +1
P-47ChowHound

2. Maybe

njredneck
Ratdog
The Tree Frog
Jshep420
fallkniven
Tinkr
Black Foot
mattyoc20
mychal +2
fallkniven

perrito
06-21-2014, 14:50
Call me maybe.

njredneck
06-21-2014, 14:59
I'm in for Sat.

SilvrSurfr
06-21-2014, 15:04
Call me maybe.

Okay, Carly Rae Jepsen. Can't wait to hear you crooning that song around the campfire!:lol:

Start learning the lyrics now!

AsBsBU3vn6M

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/carlyraejepsen/callmemaybe.html

silentorpheus
06-21-2014, 15:13
Point of order:

I move that a hang can not be considered an officially sanctioned GSHDANJ event unless there is an agreed upon quorum of full time members, in good standing, in attendance.

I would propose that number be 3.

In the case of this hang, you would be within the proposed new guidelines.

I'll open the table for discussion, affirmations, or dissent. Proceedings can be moved to private channels, if so desired. :cool:

Jshep420
06-21-2014, 15:15
Any one down for Friday also?

SilvrSurfr
06-21-2014, 15:22
Point of order:

I move that a hang can not be considered an officially sanctioned GSHDANJ event unless there is an agreed upon quorum of full time members, in good standing, in attendance.

I would propose that number be 3.

In the case of this hang, you would be within the proposed new guidelines.

I'll open the table for discussion, affirmations, or dissent. Proceedings can be moved to private channels, if so desired. :cool:

Now that I think of it, it can't be a GSHDANJ-sanctioned event if we're eating dehydrated food! Even if it's Pack-It Gourmet.

aircoder
06-21-2014, 15:38
If we bake a hot blueberry pie for desert we might be able to make it slide.

Now that I think of it, it can't be a GSHDANJ-sanctioned event if we're eating dehydrated food! Even if it's Pack-It Gourmet.

aircoder
06-21-2014, 15:39
I might be let me talk to the mrs...

Any one down for Friday also?

Jshep420
06-21-2014, 17:08
I might be let me talk to the mrs...

Yea me too!

Jshep420
06-21-2014, 18:53
Yea me too!

Would u be hiking or boating?

aircoder
06-21-2014, 20:19
We will be hiking in...

Jshep420
06-21-2014, 20:24
Me too. Just waiting to see wify.

SilvrSurfr
06-21-2014, 23:43
Okay, I'm committed to Lower Forge - just reserved site #5 for Saturday July 12 for three people.

I would suggest that the highly affluent members of the GSHADNJ reserve every site in Lower Forge based on the projected attendees. We're gonna need the trees.

njredneck
06-22-2014, 05:26
Just grabbed site 4. Wanted to make sure we got the prime trees.:)

The Tree Frog
06-22-2014, 08:28
If I can make it, I will be hiking in most likely from Atsion? Any better way recommended? Anyone else coming from that direction?

aircoder
06-22-2014, 08:51
I'll be hiking in from Atsion.

If I can make it, I will be hiking in most likely from Atsion? Any better way recommended? Anyone else coming from that direction?

Jshep420
06-22-2014, 08:52
I'll be hiking in from Atsion.

R u going on Friday? And how far is that hike?

aircoder
06-22-2014, 09:07
I booked Site 6 for Saturday night, so we have sites 4, 5, 6, as of current

aircoder
06-22-2014, 09:25
Sorry J we are going for just saturday, since the parents are watching the kids for us...

From Atsion it's about a 6.5 mile hike to lower forge if I remember correctly.

R u going on Friday? And how far is that hike?

The Tree Frog
06-22-2014, 09:47
Ok I'm in for Saturday. Hiking in from Atsion In the am.

aircoder
06-22-2014, 10:01
We can set a time to meet at the park office and we can all hike in together for anyone who wants. The Atsion office opens at 9 am, for checkins, I was planning on leaving the office for the trail at about 10 am but open to a later time or at 9am if it works better for others...

Ok I'm in for Saturday. Hiking in from Atsion In the am.

Jshep420
06-22-2014, 13:30
As you may or may not know we got lost last time so I would like to do this the right way. I may be hiking out Friday night by myself. I found these maps and I think that these are the trails that I'm looking to take. Anyone know if I'm right?88160yellow-purple-pink?

Jshep420
06-22-2014, 13:31
And also what site should I grab that are hammock worthy?

SilvrSurfr
06-22-2014, 14:26
As you may or may not know we got lost last time so I would like to do this the right way. I may be hiking out Friday night by myself. I found these maps and I think that these are the trails that I'm looking to take. Anyone know if I'm right?88160yellow-purple-pink?

That's right. The best place to get lost is Quaker Bridge (I'm an expert). I usually don't take the pink Batona Trail to Lower Forge. There is a road to the west that runs parallel with the trail.

Jshep420
06-22-2014, 15:21
Ok. I'm in. Me and my buddy jay will be going on Friday -Monday. Any suggestions on which remaining sites are best for hammocks?

SilvrSurfr
06-22-2014, 15:33
Ok. I'm in. Me and my buddy jay will be going on Friday -Monday. Any suggestions on which remaining sites are best for hammocks?

Let's go to the videotape:

bBSxc3DW3z4

I would say the best sites are gone already but seven is the next one I'd select. If we reserve all the sites we can figure it out from there.

SilvrSurfr
06-22-2014, 15:46
Here's where we are right now.

1. In - 8 people

njredneck - reserved site 4
Silvrsurfr - Reserved Site 5 for 3
Aircoder +1 - reserved site 6
P-47ChowHound
Jshep420 +1
The Tree Frog

2. Maybe - 8 people

Ratdog
fallkniven
Tinkr
Black Foot
mattyoc20
mychal +2
fallkniven

Jshep420
06-22-2014, 19:18
I got stie 7 and 8. Friday-Sunday. I don't who is coming for sure. I think I have 3or four friends. I'll know more during the week.

The Tree Frog
06-22-2014, 19:21
Just grabbed site 4. Wanted to make sure we got the prime trees.:)

NJRedneck, you have my info. Can you add me to site 4?

The Tree Frog
06-22-2014, 19:26
We can set a time to meet at the park office and we can all hike in together for anyone who wants. The Atsion office opens at 9 am, for checkins, I was planning on leaving the office for the trail at about 10 am but open to a later time or at 9am if it works better for others...

I'm good to meet at office between 9-9:30. Outta there by or before 10:00. At camp by lunchtime. Yea buddy.:woot::woot:

njredneck
06-22-2014, 19:28
NJRedneck, you have my info. Can you add me to site 4?

I deleted that pm resend me your info.

SilvrSurfr
06-22-2014, 19:41

1. In - 8 people

Jshep420 +1 - reserved site 7 & 8
P-47ChowHound
The Tree Frog

2. Maybe - 12 people

Ratdog
fallkniven
Tinkr
Black Foot
Perrito
mattyoc20
mychal +2
fallkniven
Jshep420 another +2

I suggest we go ahead and reserve the rest of the sites, 1, 2, 3 & 9. I think 20 hammocks is really stretching the limits of this campsite. We can probably make it work, even if we have to go bunk style (I'm not sleeping under Ratdog!).

Ratdog
06-22-2014, 23:17
I suggest we go ahead and reserve the rest of the sites, 1, 2, 3 & 9. I think 20 hammocks is really stretching the limits of this campsite. We can probably make it work, even if we have to go bunk style (I'm not sleeping under Ratdog!).

Stack'em and Rack'em.
No whining. :cool:

Soybean, the 7yr old hammock nut, informed me that it was his birthday that weekend.
Might just have to bring him along.

Chris183
06-23-2014, 01:37
hmmmm we'll see

natureboy68
06-23-2014, 09:01
Bubba says: Blueberry pie, blueberry cheesecake, blueberry tarts, blueberry smoothies, blueberry mead, blueberry beer, blueberry wine, blueberry syrup, blueberry jam and that's about all the blueberry dishes...

mychal
06-23-2014, 09:44

1. In - 8 people

P-47ChowHound
The Tree Frog

2. Maybe - 12 people

Ratdog
fallkniven
Tinkr
Black Foot
Perrito
mattyoc20
mychal +2
fallkniven
Jshep420 another +2

Ok, mychal is in unless he gets hit by a bus. I booked site 9 for 6 and anybody is welcome to use the spots we don't. I'll be bringing at least 3 kids with me, and possibly 4 (my 7 year old didn't want to go, but I'm gonna leverage the fact that another 7 year old will be there).

Also, we can double or even triple up, just for fun, in my group, under a single tarp and one pair of trees, if it comes down to that. We'll plan to meet at the office and then be led like lemmings by The Experts.

Couple questions: 1) Is the idea that we'd set up camp after checking in, then go blueberry picking in the afternoon? 2) I vaguely remember having the greatest BBQ I've ever had in my life (a life full of BBQ) at some roadside joint my friends took me to in the 1990's. They seem to think they are all over the Pine Barrens. What are the odds I'll be able to re-create that event with my kids after we pack up Sunday and make it to our car?

#2 is a berry, berry, berry important question. Wait, now I'm mixing #1 and #2.

Ratdog
06-23-2014, 12:56
Chances are you are remembering the Pic-a-Lilli Inn (http://www.picalilli.com/index.php), and yes, it's still around. If you are thinking of the Woodshed, no such luck.

The first "cultivated" blueberries are from this area. We will be picking low bush blueberries, the farms have high bush blueberries.

A little blueberry history.
http://www.whitesbog.org
http://www.njfarmfresh.rutgers.edu/jersey-blues.asp

I will confirm which nephews can make it. Might bring 3-4 of them if they don't have soccer/camp/party/beach or whatever.

More Pinelands info.
http://www.pinelandsalliance.org

Ratdog
06-23-2014, 12:58
Bubba says: Blueberry pie, blueberry cheesecake, blueberry tarts, blueberry smoothies, blueberry mead, blueberry beer, blueberry wine, blueberry syrup, blueberry jam and that's about all the blueberry dishes...

Uh, blueberry pancakes ???? :cool:
Oh yeah, some tasty flapjacks might be in order. :D

mychal
06-23-2014, 14:33
Further research reveals that it was Uncle Dewey's BBQ Pavilion. I guess a 45 minute drive in my 20's probably seemed like 10 minutes. :)

natureboy68
06-23-2014, 15:25
well done sir! I plum forgot that one! and blueberry muffins, and blueberry scones...

njredneck
06-23-2014, 15:47
Only 2 sites left in lower forge. Did someone grab site 1 or do we have company?

Ratdog
06-23-2014, 16:16
Someone should grab 3 so we don't walk through someone else's campsite to get water.
Just saying.

Wilson
06-23-2014, 16:37
Only 2 sites left in lower forge. Did someone grab site 1 or do we have company?

Sorry I couldn't post this sooner but site 1 was me for Saturday. I'll be hiking in from Atsion also. I may have a few ground dwellers with me...not 100% sure about that yet.

SilvrSurfr
06-23-2014, 16:38
Someone should grab 3 so we don't walk through someone else's campsite to get water.
Just saying.

I'd suggest we grab 1, 2 & 3. We currently have the ability (via the reservation system) to have 6 people per site, with 4 through 9 currently reserved (for a total of 36 people). However, tree-wise we many need every tree in the campsite just to accommodate current numbers:

1. In - 12 people

mychal +3 - reserved site 9 for 6
P-47ChowHound
The Tree Frog

2. Maybe - 12 people

Ratdog
fallkniven
Tinkr
Black Foot
Perrito
mattyoc20
fallkniven
Jshep420 another +2

Ratdog
06-23-2014, 16:56
I grabbed 2 for fri/sat
Will have anywhere from 1 to 7 with me.

Wilson
06-23-2014, 17:22
Not many trees to choose from on site 1 but at least I'll have a great view of bikinis floating down the river :boggle:

The Tree Frog
06-23-2014, 17:41
I just booked 3. We officially own Lower Forge for Saturday night!

NJRedneck, I may need to encroach into 4 if 3 is no good, but at least we have the boat launch.

njredneck
06-23-2014, 17:43
I just booked 3. We officially own Lower Forge for Saturday night!

NJRedneck, I may need to encroach into 4 if 3 is no good, but at least we have the boat launch.

There are no site limits now that we have the entire camp hang anywhere you like.

SilvrSurfr
06-23-2014, 19:46
There are no site limits now that we have the entire camp hang anywhere you like.

Hang anywhere you like as long as you leave two sets of trees at site 5 for me and P-47Chowhound!

Latest update:

1. In - 15 people

Wilson + ground dwellers? - reserved site 1
Ratdog +1 - reserved site 2
The Tree Frog - reserved site 3
P-47ChowHound

2. Maybe - 13 people

Ratdog +6
Tinkr
Black Foot
Perrito
mattyoc20
fallkniven
Jshep420 another +2

SilvrSurfr
06-23-2014, 19:55
Aircoder - you might need to do ground setup for missus. I wouldn't consider hitting the trail at the ungodly hour of 9 or 10 am (I wouldn't even consider waking up at 9 or 10!:lol:) and I don't have the pack space to carry extra.

Ratdog
06-23-2014, 20:08
Aircoder - you might need to do ground setup for missus. I wouldn't consider hitting the trail at the ungodly hour of 9 or 10 am (I wouldn't even consider waking up at 9 or 10!:lol:) and I don't have the pack space to carry extra.

If desired, a hammock, tarp, UQP, suspension & underquilt can be provided a mere 10 min walk from camp.

aircoder
06-23-2014, 20:12
No worries SilvrSurfr completely understand....
Thank you for the offer!

aircoder
06-23-2014, 20:14
I'd be more then happy to take a 10 min walk if it's no trouble....

Thanks Ratdog...

If desired, a hammock, tarp, UQP, suspension & underquilt can be provided a mere 10 min walk from camp.

Ratdog
06-23-2014, 21:37
No trouble, that's precisely why I have sherpas on standby. :D

Will work on getting a bugnet.

SilvrSurfr
06-23-2014, 21:48
I would suggest folks bring continuous loops and dogbones as tree strap extenders. I know I can hang 25 ft. between trees if necessary, though it may involve standing on someone's shoulders to get the tree straps high enough!:lol:

Or someone can stand on my shoulders - I'm often the bottom man on human ladders up to three people high - my patented method of bear-bag hanging.

aircoder
06-23-2014, 22:16
This should be quite interesting, and I'm sure quite a fun weekend....

SilvrSurfr
06-23-2014, 22:24
I would suggest a night hike to Quaker Bridge - about 1/3 of a mile away - the premiere place in the Pine Barrens for getting lost while night hiking. Mind you, I've gotten lost so much at Quaker Bridge that I think I could navigate by feel at this point - so there's pretty much no chance of getting lost with SilvrSurfr as your guide.:lol:

Ratdog
06-23-2014, 22:28
Swim there, walk back.

aircoder
06-23-2014, 22:31
Im in since i don't need to worry about helping the Mrs chase children this time!

I would suggest a night hike to Quaker Bridge - about 1/3 of a mile away - the premiere place in the Pine Barrens for getting lost while night hiking. Mind you, I've gotten lost so much at Quaker Bridge that I think I could navigate by feel at this point - so there's pretty much no chance of getting lost with SilvrSurfr as your guide.:lol:

perrito
06-24-2014, 05:22

Gonna need to put a few drinks in you to make it interesting.

Wilson
06-24-2014, 14:31
Swim there, walk back.

We can float to Quaker Bridge in inner tubes wearing our headlamps. Don't forget the cotton swimwear! :lol:

SilvrSurfr
06-24-2014, 14:55
We can float to Quaker Bridge in inner tubes wearing our headlamps. Don't forget the cotton swimwear! :lol:

Yes, cotton - the fabric of our lives. Fallkniven, however, will be wearing a wool swimsuit!:lol:

The Tree Frog
06-24-2014, 16:06

Yes! Night hike! Swim there, walk back, at night in inner tubes with headlamps! I'm in. White cotton to make our famous tie dye cedar water t-shirts.

Wilson
06-24-2014, 17:50
Yes! Night hike! Swim there, walk back, at night in inner tubes with headlamps! I'm in. White cotton to make our famous tie dye cedar water t-shirts.

Sounds like a plan, lol. Once we're at Quaker Bridge we can visit these Piney brothers located only a few hundred yards away on Washington-Quaker Bridge road. They may even be excited to see us! :lol:8829388294

aircoder
06-24-2014, 17:53
oh thats so wrong!

The Tree Frog
06-24-2014, 17:54
Sounds like a plan, lol. Once we're at Quaker Bridge we can visit these Piney brothers located only a few hundred yards away on Washington-Quaker Bridge road. They may even be excited to see us! :lol:8829388294

Thems some nice looking boots right there. Uh, I think the guy in the grey shorts is happy to see anyone!:)

Wilson
06-24-2014, 18:01
oh thats so wrong!

Thems some nice looking boots right there. Uh, I think the guy in the grey shorts is happy to see anyone!:)

Sometimes you see strange things in the Piney Woods!:scared:

Ratdog
06-24-2014, 18:11
Obvious song selection, will have to dig a little deeper. Still, much respect to Fats.

http://youtu.be/ek1P7GM33so

The Tree Frog
06-24-2014, 18:53
http://youtu.be/PWX65eUOIw0

Check out the link above and the one below.

http://youtu.be/DkCBToTkRpw

I love blueberries!

SilvrSurfr
06-26-2014, 01:34
Wonder what's legal in the Pine Barrens. Trot lines? Seining? I'll bet one of the Pineys in our midst have a portable deep-fat fryer and we could have a real fish fry!:)

P-47ChowHound
06-26-2014, 05:05
I need to bow out. I will be in Maryland for my Grandson first birthday. Now I am of the thought that he would not know the difference if I was there or not. BUT the wife son and daughter in-law think otherwise.

aircoder
06-26-2014, 10:18
Thats a-shame, was looking forward to some shaving discussions! Understandable though. we'll miss you.

I need to bow out. I will be in Maryland for my Grandson first birthday. Now I am of the thought that he would not know the difference if I was there or not. BUT the wife son and daughter in-law think otherwise.

silentorpheus
06-26-2014, 10:25
http://youtu.be/PWX65eUOIw0

Check out the link above and the one below.

http://youtu.be/DkCBToTkRpw

I love blueberries!

Wow, those are … wow. I can't unhear that.

That dude needs to stop listening to Primus.

Jshep420
06-26-2014, 10:34
Now I hate blueberries! But I love Primus.

The Tree Frog
06-26-2014, 16:54
Wow, those are … wow. I can't unhear that.

That dude needs to stop listening to Primus.

Come on guys. We have to give them credit for turning the love of blueberries into....music? Ok, at least into a...song? I hope you don't mind. I invited them to perform at the hang.

jmcglash
06-26-2014, 21:45
SilvrSurfr,

I don't know if I can make it but I would love to try.
If there is room I would be hiking in.

So the questions are:
- Is there room for one more?
- Is there anything I need to/should bring?
- Where do you park for the hike in?

Oh yes one more can I "borrow" my son's hammock or do I get cracking and make my own... hum...

Jim

silentorpheus
06-26-2014, 21:54
Y'all should have picked Mullica River instead of LF.

Might want to sherpa in some Turtle Dog stands or something :rolleyes:

SilvrSurfr
06-26-2014, 22:03
SilvrSurfr,

I don't know if I can make it but I would love to try.
If there is room I would be hiking in.

So the questions are:
- Is there room for one more?

We can fit one more in. Buncha maybes on the fence just like you.

- Is there anything I need to/should bring?

A proper tarp, hammock, insulation and food would be appropriate. We don't have any group meals planned just yet so it's every man for himself.

- Where do you park for the hike in?

Most folks are parking at Atsion Ranger Station (google it) and hiking yellow-purple-pink on the map:

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/docs/batona14web.pdf

You could also start at Batsto Village and hike pink all the way to Lower Forge.

Oh yes one more can I "borrow" my son's hammock or do I get cracking and make my own... hum...

Jim

While several of us have spare gear, I'm certainly not going to hike spare gear in for anybody. Ratdog is probably gonna do his sherpa thing which will get stuff within a 10-minute walk, but you'll have to let folks know what you're missing so somebody can give it to Ratdog for sherpa-ing.

SilvrSurfr
06-26-2014, 22:12
Y'all should have picked Mullica River instead of LF.

Might want to sherpa in some Turtle Dog stands or something :rolleyes:

Check the title of the thread - Lower Forge Blueberry Hang. We've never had any issue with a bunch of folks wanting to join our little Pine Barrens GSHDANJ gatherings, so it's a relatively new phenomenon. We have the entire site booked up, so if anyone is concerned about enough trees, there's still time to book a site at Mullica River - plenty available. Should be a 2.5 mile hike between campsites. Night hiking!

SilvrSurfr
06-26-2014, 23:52
Latest update on attendance:

1. In - 14 people

2. Maybe - 13 people

Ratdog's +5 (based on past experience this is more a "people he invited" rather than "people who will come")
Tinkr
Black Foot
Perrito
mattyoc20
Jshep420 another +2
jmcglash
fallkniven

Ratdog
06-27-2014, 00:25
Mullica River would handle a larger sized group better, has water BUT doesn't have the blueberries in close proximity.

If we really cared, we could transfer all reservations right now, only 1 site is booked at MR for that weekend. But it's not necessary, we'll be fine with number of folks anticipated, no worries.

Will nail down my group size this weekend. One of the nephews just graduated H.S., he and his buddies want to go "camping" so I extended the invite. I give them 50-50 chance of showing at best. Moose and Soybean will confirm in or out this weekend. The hang is scheduled for Soybean's 8th birthday weekend and if my sister planned a kids party, then he is out. Will put a +3 on my permit to be safe and bump it up if needed.

One of my regular hangs is 22ft and I know I can stretch it a little bit longer so finding some hanging trees won't be a problem.

As the date gets closer, sherpa details can be worked out. Slack packing, or gear hauling to Lower Forge will be offered.

SilvrSurfr
06-27-2014, 14:24
Mullica River would handle a larger sized group better, has water BUT doesn't have the blueberries in close proximity.

If we really cared, we could transfer all reservations right now, only 1 site is booked at MR for that weekend. But it's not necessary, we'll be fine with number of folks anticipated, no worries.

Will nail down my group size this weekend. One of the nephews just graduated H.S., he and his buddies want to go "camping" so I extended the invite. I give them 50-50 chance of showing at best. Moose and Soybean will confirm in or out this weekend. The hang is scheduled for Soybean's 8th birthday weekend and if my sister planned a kids party, then he is out. Will put a +3 on my permit to be safe and bump it up if needed.

One of my regular hangs is 22ft and I know I can stretch it a little bit longer so finding some hanging trees won't be a problem.

As the date gets closer, sherpa details can be worked out. Slack packing, or gear hauling to Lower Forge will be offered.

My back yard is a 25 ft. hang so I can handle that. Just gotta add a continuous loop or dogbone to the suspension and scooch them straps up high on the tree! I'll bring some continuous loops and dogbones for the occasion.

Chris183
06-27-2014, 21:28
Diana and I are a maybe as well, gotta coordinate with pbtb. is there room for us?

SilvrSurfr
06-27-2014, 21:40
Diana and I are a maybe as well, gotta coordinate with pbtb. is there room for us?

You're running with a rough crowd with PBTB. Ratdog says we can fit ya in.

SilvrSurfr
06-27-2014, 22:54
For those who were thinking about paddling, be glad you reconsidered. It looks brutal, bone dry, bone dry, right now.

http://river-depth.com/graphs/01409400?period=1

http://waterwatch.usgs.gov/index.php?r=nj&id=ww_current

Ratdog
06-27-2014, 23:02
You're running with a rough crowd with PBTB. Ratdog says we can fit ya in.

You know it !
One way or 'ta other.
By the hook or by the crook, we'll get it hung and done.

SilvrSurfr
06-28-2014, 07:53
The young mavericks wanna bolt off to Lower Forge at the break of day, and I respect that. However, you are misunderestimating (channeling my inner George W. Bush) the power of the sherpa and the sherpa ain't up at that time of the morning.

For the more leisurely minded, we could arrange a sherpa rendezvous with Ratdog, maybe at Atsion - in the afternoon (not morning). We could slack pack (i.e., hike with no pack, for the dimwitted among you) to Lower Forge. Heck, with no pack I'd hike from Buttonwood Hill all the way to Lower Forge (12 miles?). WHO'S WITH ME?!

I'm also rethinking the Pack-It Gourmet theme. We should never eschew fresh food in favor of dehydrated. I vote for fresh food!

Save the Pack-It Gourmet for lunch on the hike out. We could have a Pack-it Gourmet feast at Beaver Pond!

mychal
06-28-2014, 07:57
I was saving Uncle Dewey's for lunch.

The Tree Frog
06-28-2014, 08:23
The young mavericks wanna bolt off to Lower Forge at the break of day, and I respect that. However, you are misunderestimating (channeling my inner George W. Bush) the power of the sherpa and the sherpa ain't up at that time of the morning.

I'm also rethinking the Pack-It Gourmet theme. We should never eschew fresh food in favor of dehydrated. I vote for fresh food!

First Silvr, the GWB comment made me lol. Second, I am bringing my dehydrated food and just backpacking in, from Atsion, in the AM. I will be glad to share my food or to eat your fresh food if it is being shared.

I plan to be at Atsion Ranger station when they open and get to camp by lunchtime. All are welcome to join me.

Ratdog
06-28-2014, 09:32
First Silvr, the GWB comment made me lol. Second, I am bringing my dehydrated food and just backpacking in, from Atsion, in the AM. I will be glad to share my food or to eat your fresh food if it is being shared.

I plan to be at Atsion Ranger station when they open and get to camp by lunchtime. All are welcome to join me.

Sounds like a plan.

Ss is just giving a heads up that I have standing breakfast plans every Sat AM and typically wouldn't arrive at Atsion until approaching the noon time hour. This would impact anyone wishing to hike out in the AM but wanted to take advantage of slack packing.

IF there were a critical mass of folks that wanted to dump gear at 9am, I would be there, then go do my thing. gear would be delivered mid afternoon.

As it stands, all I know about at this point is hauling in an extra setup for Mrs. Aircoder. If anyone wants their gear delivered to camp or wants to haul in a wagon load of wood & dutch ovens, we can work something out. For now, I am also on the packit gourmet plan.

Jshep420
06-28-2014, 09:38
I'm there fri too if u need me. I can do a trip Friday before dark. Only thing is I don't have a clue of where the drop off spot is. ;)

At this point I don't know if my maybe's are coming. But I'm a def 2

aircoder
06-28-2014, 10:03
We are going to pack everything in with us (half the fun) on our backs saturday am, and we are both on the packet gourmet plan as well.

Im assuming that if I take a nice long walk I should be able to amass wood to process for fire with out the need to haul wood in correct? If PBTB and Chris do not make it i'll happily to fill their shoes and get some wood together and processed.. Though I'm far from their legendary status by any means. :laugh:

Ratdog thanks for the hammock delivery for the Mrs. she will be a very happy camper! Is everything for her setup taken care of other then my need to hike to the drop off to pick it up when you all get there? Please let me know if you need me to do anything!

Greatly appericated.

Sounds like a plan.

Ss is just giving a heads up that I have standing breakfast plans every Sat AM and typically wouldn't arrive at Atsion until approaching the noon time hour. This would impact anyone wishing to hike out in the AM but wanted to take advantage of slack packing.

IF there were a critical mass of folks that wanted to dump gear at 9am, I would be there, then go do my thing. gear would be delivered mid afternoon.

As it stands, all I know about at this point is hauling in an extra setup for Mrs. Aircoder. If anyone wants their gear delivered to camp or wants to haul in a wagon load of wood & dutch ovens, we can work something out. For now, I am also on the packit gourmet plan.

Ratdog
06-28-2014, 17:11
Hammock, tarp, under quilt. If you have a sleeping bag for a top quilt that would be good.

aircoder
06-28-2014, 17:13
Hammock, tarp, under quilt. If you have a sleeping bag for a top quilt that would be good.

We do have a bag :)

njredneck
06-29-2014, 16:38
Just got back from an overnight with the scouts at Mullica river camp. There were a few ripe berries along the trail and there should be plenty in 2 weeks.
I will be sticking to Pack-it maybe bring some pancake mix for breakfast with fresh berries.

jmcglash
06-29-2014, 21:25
We can fit one more in. Buncha maybes on the fence just like you.

Looks like I just fell off the fence.

My son is staffing summer camp and I was hoping we would be able to head down for Sat night but the schedule is far too tight.

If I can pick up my son early enough on Sat we will try and head down for a few hours.

Either way I hope everyone has a great weekend and I hope to be able to meet a few folks and learn a few new things.

The good news is we both should be ready and fully geared up for the October hang.
I will be spending any down time at camp this summer making a whipped end hammock and practicing rigging my bug net and tarp.

Jim

Wilson
07-01-2014, 19:52
Update....Wilson + 4 ground dwellers if it doesn't rain. If it rains, it's just me. Also, look what's going on the same Saturday. Maybe SS can help out with the parking! :lol:

http://www.post11.org/carranza/carranza2014.html

Deadphans
07-01-2014, 20:07
Sounds like a ton of fun. I have some what of a gig that night, bosses BBQ with 100+ people and so me and a few musicians are going to be playing in the backyard. Should be fun. I'll keep keeping an eye out for these gatherings. (And thank you ratdog for the heads up)

Ratdog
07-01-2014, 20:41
Update....Wilson + 4 ground dwellers if it doesn't rain. If it rains, it's just me. Also, look what's going on the same Saturday. Maybe SS can help out with the parking! :lol:

http://www.post11.org/carranza/carranza2014.html

That's right !!
I will have family out for that event if nothing else.

Wilson
07-01-2014, 20:53
That's right !!
I will have family out for that event if nothing else.

I've always wanted to go to that event but always forget the date. Maybe next year with a hang at Batona. :confused:

Jshep420
07-02-2014, 06:58
So. Is anybody interested in Friday nite also?. Now I'm by myself. Buddy can't get off work. Trying to gather up another buddy, not no luck yet. If anyone wants to go Friday also/or just Friday please let me kno!!! Thanks!!!

Ratdog
07-03-2014, 12:19
I am booked for Friday. Not sure if I'm going that day or not. Thinking about paddling on Friday, might make it a paddle in trip.

Jshep420
07-03-2014, 15:17
I am booked for Friday. Not sure if I'm going that day or not. Thinking about paddling on Friday, might make it a paddle in trip.

Booked like u got a camp site or ur Schedule is booked? I can switch it to a paddle. But if it's going to be a difficult paddle because of low waters I may want to hike. Keep me posted on what you're doing. I probably won't camp overnight by myself in the pines! haven't decided yet. Thanks

mychal
07-03-2014, 15:19
Ratdog camps by himself in the PB's all the time. Each time, nobody ever hears from him again. Or something.

Ratdog
07-03-2014, 15:58
Booked like u got a camp site or ur Schedule is booked? I can switch it to a paddle. But if it's going to be a difficult paddle because of low waters I may want to hike. Keep me posted on what you're doing. I probably won't camp overnight by myself in the pines! haven't decided yet. Thanks

My site is booked for fri/sat so I have the option.
The paddle down from upstream would be a drag, literally.

Paddling up from downstream is a hassle getting past blowdowns.

If I paddle it will be a last minute thing.

A night solo in the Pines is good for the soul. No worries.

Ratdog camps by himself in the PB's all the time. Each time, nobody ever hears from him again. Or something. yep, with the song of the whippoorwill echoing in my head.

Big storms tonight, perfect night to head out. Sadly the new seam seal job on my tarp isn't dry yet so it's a backyard/hammock lab kind of night. With luck, more rain tomorrow.

Jshep420
07-03-2014, 16:09
I think I will stick to the hike! Not only am I lazy, but I am trying to heal my shoulder.
All excuses aside. Someone that I know in the area may be very good for my soul. Just in case I see Sasquatch! Ha

Wilson
07-04-2014, 07:11
The weather is looking good! :cool: 88918

The Tree Frog
07-04-2014, 07:41
The weather is looking good! :cool: 88918

Yea baby! Let's get some chatter going...

perrito
07-04-2014, 07:47
Unfortunately I'm not going to make this hang. :(

The Tree Frog
07-04-2014, 07:57

That's not the kind of chatter I was looking for Perrito! Happy 4th everyone.

Ratdog
07-04-2014, 07:57

Sub-optimal chatter ...

We should head north into the mountains for Aug/Sep

silentorpheus
07-04-2014, 08:39
Sub-optimal chatter ...

I'm on board with this idea. :)

The Tree Frog
07-04-2014, 08:54
Sub-optimal chatter ...

There's an idea. Thoughts on where?

mychal
07-04-2014, 08:56
DWG, AT, Poconos, Catskills?

Ratdog
07-04-2014, 09:08
DWG on the water or near Big Flat Brook (Stokes). Ricketts Glen in the Poconos is 3+ hours from me but has a lot of water falls. Catskills are also 3+ hours but I would defer to the suggestion of others as to where. North Jersey / DWG has a lot to offer and we could pay resident pricing. And there is no reason we couldn't do a 501 thing either. All good campfire topics for next weekend.

mychal
07-04-2014, 09:10
What's a 501 thing?

aircoder
07-04-2014, 09:42
Lake Placid!

DWG, AT, Poconos, Catskills?

mychal
07-04-2014, 10:39
How far is Newfoundland?

perrito
07-04-2014, 11:10
How far is Newfoundland?

On Rt. 23? About 20 minutes north of Rt. 80.

Ratdog
07-04-2014, 11:41
I am totally down for the 'Daks ! I say we form up on the shores of Lake Lila and welcome SS back to civilization in Aug.

Ratdog
07-04-2014, 11:42
FYI blueberries are starting to pop with the little bit of rain we are getting. Waiting for the hurricane to blow through and then taking the dogs on a foraging mission.

The Tree Frog
07-04-2014, 13:14
FYI blueberries are starting to pop with the little bit of rain we are getting. Waiting for the hurricane to blow through and then taking the dogs on a foraging mission.

Roadside stands all have blueberries. One guy was setup at 72 and 70 the other day.

The Tree Frog
07-04-2014, 13:15
I am totally down for the 'Daks ! I say we form up on the shores of Lake Lila and welcome SS back to civilization in Aug.

Where is SS or where is he going?

Silvr, update on attendees list?

Ratdog
07-04-2014, 13:26

On a "hardman's adventure" into the great north woods. No doubt a trip report will be forthcoming post event.

Ratdog
07-04-2014, 13:29
Roadside stands all have blueberries. One guy was setup at 72 and 70 the other day.
The cultivated stuff came in about 2 weeks ago. Already had my first local blueberry pie. Now it's cobbler time!

The Tree Frog
07-04-2014, 13:35
The cultivated stuff came in about 2 weeks ago. Already had my first local blueberry pie. Now it's cobbler time!

Yea buddy. Save me some. I'll pay up if you bring what is needed for some cobbler. Or Sherpa it in and I'll will meet you at the drop off. Let me know.

fallkniven
07-04-2014, 13:48
checked my secret wild blueberry spot last night. They are full of little green berries. They're almost ready, few were nice and plump and delicious.

SilvrSurfr
07-04-2014, 13:57

1. In - 14 people

2. Maybe - 14 people

Ratdog's +5 (based on past experience this is more a "people he invited" rather than "people who will come")
Tinkr
Black Foot
mattyoc20
Jshep420 another +2
fallkniven
Chris183 + 1

SilvrSurfr
07-04-2014, 14:50

I have an annual backcountry canoe trip in the Adirondacks' William C. Whitney Wilderness with my two sons - last year we did Little Tupper Lake to Rock Pond, then we did reconn on the 1.7 mile portage from Rock Pond to Little Hardigan Pond (without the canoes). This year we want to do the entire Little Tupper to Lake Lila traverse, 20 miles. A recent court case has shaved a .8 mile portage off the trip. The public can now paddle the Shingle Shanty Brook from Mud Pond to Lake Lila through privately-owned land.

The landowners are appealing the judge's ruling to the NY Court of Appeals. I want to get this trip in this year, since the court could side with the landowner.

http://www.adirondackexplorer.org/stories/brandreths-appeal-ruling

http://www.adirondackexplorer.org/legaldefensefund

The Tree Frog
07-04-2014, 14:53
I have an annual backcountry canoe trip in the Adirondacks' William C. Whitney Wilderness with my two sons - last year we did Little Tupper Lake to Rock Pond, then we did reconn on the 1.7 mile portage from Rock Pond to Little Hardigan Pond (without the canoes). This year we want to do the entire Little Tupper to Lake Lila traverse, 20 miles. A recent court case has shaved a .8 mile portage off the trip. The public can now paddle the Shingle Shanty Brook from Mud Pond to Lake Lila through privately-owned land.

The landowners are appealing the judge's ruling to the NY Court of Appeals. I want to get this trip in this year, since the court could side with the landowner.

Sounds like a nice tradition and a lot of fun. Good idea getting the trip in before the courts get it wrong!

SilvrSurfr
07-04-2014, 21:36
Sounds like a nice tradition and a lot of fun. Good idea getting the trip in before the courts get it wrong!

Yeah, as Ratdog said, I consider it a hard man's adventure. No softies - this ain't no car camping and suffering is to be expected. I have a friend (we've done the trip together for five years) who's ready for it but my sons are kinda unenthused about carrying a canoe 1.7 miles, especially across beaver dams and through swampy land. And they remember the leeches from last year - they never pulled a leech off before.

Ratdog
07-04-2014, 22:12
Leeches, nuthin' but a thang...
Chew 'em up good

http://youtu.be/EUNVdcg8zcY

http://youtu.be/_MHVluEWoYU

Pretty sure SS and crew are working up to a man's man trip, 740 miles, Maine to NY.
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2012/10/30/best-canoe-trips/

The Tree Frog
07-04-2014, 22:15
The Art of Manliness. Love it!

SilvrSurfr
07-04-2014, 22:17
I prefer my hard man adventures to be 3 to 5 days max. I ain't that hard.

I consider our paddle down the Batsto River earlier this year to be a hard man's adventure. Five inches of rain? Hypothermia? That was hard!!!

The Adirondacks trip will be 3x as hard. Long days, bugs, poor portage and trial markings, grass and algae buildup in the shallow lakes that will make paddling difficult, mud, leeches, beaver dams, bears, etc. Very few people have done the entire traverse. It's considered one of the wildest stretches of river in the Northeast.

But hey, I'm a hard man!

The Tree Frog
07-04-2014, 22:17
I prefer my hard man adventures to be 3 to 5 days max. I ain't that hard.

That's what she said!

mychal
07-04-2014, 22:20
...And carrying canoes the whole way.

Ratdog
07-04-2014, 22:30
More campfire story fodder, Adventures of a hard Man, the SilvrSurfr Chronicles...tbc

Scouted for huckleberries today...zip

I call'em huckleberries because my grandmother did, they are more likely some variety of lowbush bog berry, small, dark blue and tasty.

SilvrSurfr
07-04-2014, 22:34
...And carrying canoes the whole way.

The longest portage is 1.7 miles, but there's blackberries and blueberries along the trail. I've already checked it out and there's good eating throughout that portage! We'll take lots of breaks.

With the Shingle Shanty Brook open for navigation, there may be only another .3 miles of portage (though I'm not counting the .3 mile portage from Lake Lila to the parking lot).

SilvrSurfr
07-04-2014, 22:39
More campfire story fodder, Adventures of a hard Man, the SilvrSurfr Chronicles...tbc

Scouted for huckleberries today...zip

I call'em huckleberries because my grandmother did, they are more likely some variety of lowbush bog berry, small, dark blue and tasty.

I call 'em huckleberries too. Ever had a huckleberry pie? Very rare cuisine 'cause huckleberries aren't the biggest fruit producing bush around. You gotta spend several hours of picking to get a huckleberry pie.

Huckleberries aren't as sweet as blueberries; they're smaller, and the flesh is denser than a blueberry.

We should have huckleberries and two or three types of blueberries around Lower Forge. I've done a lot of loading up on anti-oxidants in that area!

SilvrSurfr
07-04-2014, 22:49
This is what hard men do:

Ratdog
07-04-2014, 22:49
Nope, never had huckleberry pie but wouldn't mind mixing them into the cobbler.

I did however mix up 2lbs of trail mix using mom's special recipe. (Minus the almonds) cranberries, tart cherries. Pineapple,papaya, raisins, dark chocolate, peanuts, safflower, walnuts, white choc covered pretzels, yogurt covered nuts, choc covered raisins, sunflower seeds and more.

Wilson
07-04-2014, 23:09

By natural law, these things are common property of all: air, running water, the sea, and with it the shores of the sea.

After the American Revolution, the founding fathers moved quickly to ensure public rights to navigate on all navigable rivers and streams. In discussing rivers and their tributaries, the very first law passed by the United States Congress said these "navigable waters," as well as "the carrying places between the same, shall be common highways, and forever free" to the public, "without any tax, impost, or duty therefor.

SilvrSurfr
07-04-2014, 23:11
By natural law, these things are common property of all: air, running water, the sea, and with it the shores of the sea.

After the American Revolution, the founding fathers moved quickly to ensure public rights to navigate on all navigable rivers and streams. In discussing rivers and their tributaries, the very first law passed by the United States Congress said these "navigable waters," as well as "the carrying places between the same, shall be common highways, and forever free" to the public, "without any tax, impost, or duty therefor.

Let's hope you're right. I've read that the private landowners have digital cameras that take your picture when you cross their land via Shingle Shanty Brook. I'll make sure to look my best!

Wilson
07-04-2014, 23:28
Let's hope you're right. I've read that the private landowners have digital cameras that take your picture when you cross their land via Shingle Shanty Brook. I'll make sure to look my best!

They can take all the pictures they want. As long as you don't step on their land...you're good! :)

fallkniven
07-05-2014, 11:52
Hey, if any of you locals had their plans fall through, im in the middle of brendan t byrne camping at the spot I just put pictures in my random picture t he ad. My buddy bailed, any are w well come to join me. Im out here al re ady ut I ,an meet you at tbe road. (pulling this up on my phone sucked, took fode er). I have burgers clams and smores....

The Tree Frog
07-05-2014, 13:36
Hey, if any of you locals had their plans fall through, im in the middle of brendan t byrne camping at the spot I just put pictures in my random picture t he ad. My buddy bailed, any are w well come to join me. Im out here al re ady ut I ,an meet you at tbe road. (pulling this up on my phone sucked, took fode er). I have burgers clams and smores....

Tempting offer but with next weekend planned, difficult to get away. Burgers and clams and s'mores oh my!

Ratdog
07-05-2014, 16:57

Dang it, just saw this.
Was out hiking there w/ the dogs for the last couple hours and just got back home.

Ratdog
07-05-2014, 17:03
Not a lot of blueberries where I was walking, but I was under the big trees or into the cedars.

Dogs didn't want to leave, wonder if they smelled smores?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/06/esa9u2u9.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/06/a7yreba3.jpg

mattyoc20
07-05-2014, 17:05

1. In - 14 people

2. Maybe - 14 people

Tinkr
Black Foot
mattyoc20
Jshep420 another +2
fallkniven
Chris183 + 1

Im in for this one. Can't wait to get back in the hammock

Ratdog
07-05-2014, 17:06
This little guy had more green than the tree frogs by my house.

Clean water and a great hanging spot. About 100yds off the Batona but hikers would never find it.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/06/uny7y4en.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/06/vy7evu6y.jpg

mattyoc20
07-05-2014, 17:09
Where exactly is this hang at?

Ratdog
07-05-2014, 17:10
Lower Forge Campground, Wharton State Forest. Near Atsion NJ.

mattyoc20
07-05-2014, 17:52
Is this where the winter hang was at back in January?

Ratdog
07-05-2014, 18:15
Nope.
See post #78

Atsion Park Office is on route 206 south not far from Hammonton. From there it is a couple hour walk.

The Tree Frog
07-05-2014, 19:20
This little guy had more green than the tree frogs by my house.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/06/uny7y4en.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/06/vy7evu6y.jpg

Nice frog. I can relate!

SilvrSurfr
07-05-2014, 22:40

1. In - 15 people

mattyoc20

2. Maybe - 13 people

Tinkr
Black Foot
Jshep420 another +2
fallkniven
Chris183 + 1

SilvrSurfr
07-05-2014, 22:45

It's about a 6.5 mile hike, depending on which direction you come from. Most folks are hiking from Atsion. There's the early morning jackrabbit shift leaving Atsion around 9 or 10 am. That's for the birds.

I'm probably gonna roll in to Atsion between 12 and 2:30 pm, hopefully meet up with Ratdog (at his convenience) so he can sherpa in some stuff for me. Then I'll hit the trail. So you have your option of hiking solo, with the morning shift, or with the afternoon shift. Or you could try to bum a ride from Ratdog and skip the whole hiking thing.:lol:

EDIT: Think I'm gonna aim to arrive at Lower Forge by 4:00 pm - that's a good four hours of daylight for berry picking, swimming, fishing, etc. So I hope to be leaving Atsion by about 1:30 pm.

Ratdog
07-05-2014, 23:08
When it gets closer, I'll lock in a time. Thinking I'll shoot down in the AM if any one needs me, grab a breakfast sandwich at Nixon's.

Then in the afternoon, have the kid and his new 4x4 shuttle me close, probably sometime after 1:30 depending on how many trabel update phone calls I receive. :cool:

If we want firewood, that means hauling the wagon. Do we have any first timer newbies for wagon duty? :scared: :laugh:

njredneck
07-05-2014, 23:15
I have to check my schedule for Saturday. I think I'm gonna start by noon will probably hike in from Batsto unless I can get the wife to drop me off at Atsion.

SilvrSurfr
07-05-2014, 23:15
Newbies must haul wagons. What is a newbie? Anyone who is not a previously appointed and recognized member in good standing with the Garden State Hammock and Dinner Association, of New Jersey (GSHDA-NJ).

As such, there are only three officers of the GSHDA-NJ in attendance (Ratdog, SilvrSurfr, and njredneck). Therefore, everyone else is a newbie and may be called upon to sherpa firewood or other creature comforts 1/3 of a mile to the campsite from the sherpa dropoff.

Ratdog
07-05-2014, 23:17
Point of Order, was P47 Chowhound previously inducted as a member in good standing?

SilvrSurfr
07-05-2014, 23:17
I have to check my schedule for Saturday. I think I'm gonna start by noon will probably hike in from Batsto unless I can get the wife to drop me off at Atsion.

I'd do a noon departure from Batsto - great blackberry picking between Batsto and Quaker Bridge along the Batona Trail!

I think that's a 7.5 mile hike, as opposed to 6.5 from Atsion.

Ratdog
07-05-2014, 23:20
Newbies must haul wagons. What is a newbie? Anyone who is not a previously appointed and recognized member in good standing with the Garden State Hammock and Dinner Association, of New Jersey (GSHDA-NJ).

As such, there are only three officers of the GSHDA-NJ in attendance (Ratdog, SilvrSurfr, and njredneck). Therefore, everyone else is a newbie and may be called upon to sherpa firewood or other creature comforts 1/3 of a mile to the campsite from the sherpa dropoff.

In that case I can dump a couple wagon loads of wood, and a wagon at the dropoff.
Maybe a dutch oven if we think we can pull off a cobbler.

I was going to use this recipe for a peach cobbler last time, still have all the stuff.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy-Peach-Cobbler-cooked-in-a-Dutch-Oven/

njredneck
07-05-2014, 23:25
I'd do a noon departure from Batsto - great blackberry picking between Batsto and Quaker Bridge along the Batona Trail!

I think that's a 7.5 mile hike, as opposed to 6.5 from Atsion.

Right now I can't guarantee noon departure. I know work scheduled me for the morning not sure yet how much is scheduled told them I needed to be out by noon but they seldom listen to me.

Yes it is a 7.5 mile hike along the Batona trail.

I did a trial run on some blueberry syrup this morning and think I can make it happen in camp for breakfast Sunday morning if someone brings the pancake mix.:drool:

Jshep420
07-05-2014, 23:27
I keep reading Atsion to lower forge is 3 1/2mls.

njredneck
07-05-2014, 23:29
In that case I can dump a couple wagon loads of wood, and a wagon at the dropoff.

I was going to use this recipe for a peach cobbler last time, still have all the stuff.

We can pull off the cobbler I have done Apple pies in the dutch oven with great success. You bring it we'll make it.:D

njredneck
07-05-2014, 23:31

That's probably all road not trail miles.

Jshep420
07-05-2014, 23:32
Oh ok. If I wanted to park overnite at Quaker bridge can I?

SilvrSurfr
07-05-2014, 23:48

I thought it was 6.5 miles - it's actually only 6 miles. Here's the map:

http://www.njhiking.com/nj-hiking-maps/wharton-state-forest/wharton-batsto-atsion-trail-map.pdf

2.7 miles from Atsion to Beaver Pond/Quaker Bridge Trail (Yellow).
1.7 miles on Beaver Pond/Quaker Bridge Trail (Purple)
1.3 miles on Batona Trail (Pink)
.3 miles to Lower Forge campsite.
Total = 6 miles

SilvrSurfr
07-05-2014, 23:49

I wouldn't.

Jshep420
07-05-2014, 23:50
I wouldn't.

Thanks! Good to know.

The Tree Frog
07-06-2014, 07:00

Count me as a newbie wanting initiation duties to become a full appointed member! Find me at camp and I will haul the wagon :laugh:

Wilson
07-06-2014, 07:31

I wouldn't.

Thanks! Good to know.

Park at your own risk! It's like swimming in the pines...it's against regulations, but people do it and the park police don't seem to mind. :)

Wilson
07-06-2014, 07:34
Count me as a newbie wanting initiation duties to become a full appointed member! Find me at camp and I will haul the wagon :laugh:

I'm with Tree Frog on that one. We can tie tree straps around our waist and share the load! :lol:

aircoder
07-06-2014, 17:26
Im happy to drag a load of wood down, i have to take a hike down to the drop off point either way...

SilvrSurfr
07-06-2014, 17:48
Point of Order, was P47 Chowhound previously inducted as a member in good standing?

Yes, and he's got some kind of title, but he's not coming this weekend.

natureboy68
07-06-2014, 17:52
well, if I can't make it, at least I'll have blueberries!! blueberries from Hammonton, NJ spotted in grocery store...blueberry gelato coming up!

The Tree Frog
07-06-2014, 19:41
well, if I can't make it, at least I'll have blueberries!! blueberries from Hammonton, NJ spotted in grocery store...blueberry gelato coming up!

Enjoy them. Sorry you can't make it. Next time...

Wilson
07-07-2014, 10:59

Yeah, sorry you can't make it. Enjoy your blueberries! :)

My ground dweller friends did a Lower Forge recon yesterday and saw a few people camping there with their vehicles. I wonder how long that lasted??? :sneaky:

Ratdog
07-07-2014, 11:29
Yeah, sorry you can't make it. Enjoy your blueberries! :)

My ground dweller friends did a Lower Forge recon yesterday and saw a few people camping there with their vehicles. I wonder how long that lasted??? :sneaky:

That is bogus and should be called in to Park Police.

Even when we ran an organized event out there, some survival training stuff and obstacle course, they did not want us using a vehicle back there.

I could see an exception to transport someone with disabilities but that's it.

Some jerk also drove to Mullica River from Batsto when I was out there. :rolleyes:

There are plenty of car camping places in the Pine Barrens, Lower Forge and Mullica River are not specifically because they are Wilderness Reserve Areas which are different than Wilderness Management Areas where you are allowed to have a vehicle.

At least have the decency to leave the vehicles at the sign that says, No Vehicles Beyond This Point, sheesh.

SilvrSurfr
07-07-2014, 12:32
Well, it could be abject ignorance (inability to read), though I think it's willful ignorance. There's some pineys that consider the 1978 designation of the Pinelands National Reserve as a government taking (which is a bizarre notion 'cause you'd have to own something for it to be taken). The "no motorized vehicles beyond this point" signs just bug the heck out of them.

P-47ChowHound
07-07-2014, 15:11
Sorry to miss this but Grandson first birthday and the woman of power insist I be there. For the record, minutes from the 3-1 meeting
"Members Present

Senior Members:

NJRedneck (meeting coordinator) Grand Senior Camp Master and Hammock Hair Model
Silentorpheus
SilvrSurfr Grand Senior Storyteller, Vice Chairman of the Vegetable Committee
Ratdog Grand Senior Ground Dwelling Consultant

Junior Members:

NJRedneck's Son Hollow-Legged Joe, Senior Ginger

New Member Applicant:

P-47ChowHound, Senior Member Status Approved by Unanimous Vote."
My official title and responsibility is Chairman of "Ring Tones"

In Montana we used to pick Huckleberries all the time and make pies and crisps ect. Now in the Pines you compete with the ticks. In Montana you compete with the BEARS. They like um as much as we did. Always had a look out.

Have fun guys, see ya at the next one. I agree, mountains for Aug/ Sept.

SilvrSurfr
07-07-2014, 15:48
My official title and responsibility is Chairman of "Ring Tones"

And I thought it was something like, "Official Keeper of the Compass." Your sense of direction reminds me of Captain Jack Sparrow and his compass in The Curse of the Black Pearl.

Will Turner: How can we sail to an island that nobody can find with a compass that doesn't work?
Mr. Gibbs: Aye, the compass doesn't point North. But we're not trying to find North, are we?

However, in your case, it's more like, "But we're not trying to go left, are we? I just said that so you'd go right!"

aircoder
07-07-2014, 15:53
Is it saturday yet? is it is it?....

P-47ChowHound
07-07-2014, 17:31
And I thought it was something like, "Official Keeper of the Compass." Your sense of direction reminds me of Captain Jack Sparrow and his compass in The Curse of the Black Pearl.

Will Turner: How can we sail to an island that nobody can find with a compass that doesn't work?
Mr. Gibbs: Aye, the compass doesn't point North. But we're not trying to find North, are we?

However, in your case, it's more like, "But we're not trying to go left, are we? I just said that so you'd go right!"

Ahh but it was fun and painful at the same time. :lol:

Wilson
07-07-2014, 20:37
That is bogus and should be called in to Park Police.

Even when we ran an organized event out there, some survival training stuff and obstacle course, they did not want us using a vehicle back there.

I could see an exception to transport someone with disabilities but that's it.

Some jerk also drove to Mullica River from Batsto when I was out there. :rolleyes:

There are plenty of car camping places in the Pine Barrens, Lower Forge and Mullica River are not specifically because they are Wilderness Reserve Areas which are different than Wilderness Management Areas where you are allowed to have a vehicle.

At least have the decency to leave the vehicles at the sign that says, No Vehicles Beyond This Point, sheesh.

Well, it could be abject ignorance (inability to read), though I think it's willful ignorance. There's some pineys that consider the 1978 designation of the Pinelands National Reserve as a government taking (which is a bizarre notion 'cause you'd have to own something for it to be taken). The "no motorized vehicles beyond this point" signs just bug the heck out of them.

I agree 100 %. There are plenty of car camping campgrounds in Wharton. Don't need to be hearing doors slamming or car alarms going off late at night. I'd rather hear Whip-poor-wills or wild calls for a night hike! :laugh:

perrito
07-07-2014, 21:52
I agree 100 %. There are plenty of car camping campgrounds in Wharton. Don't need to be hearing doors slamming or car alarms going off late at night. I'd rather hear Whip-poor-wills or wild calls for a night hike! :laugh:

Whip-poor-will! (http://macaulaylibrary.org/audio/112682)
:crying :crying :crying

Wilson
07-07-2014, 23:07
Whip-poor-will! (http://macaulaylibrary.org/audio/112682)
:crying :crying :crying

Yes! They drown out the snoring. :lol:

Zilla
07-08-2014, 00:05
Well, went car camping over at french creek this past weekend to see how the knee would hold up and ended up coming home early, gonna have to have the knee surgury for sure, can hardly walk , so any kind of hike in is out for me.
Somewhere in the back of my minds i thought i would feel better by the time it came up and be able but it's not gonna happen.
In case anyone is interested in trying out french creek, it was very UNimpressive, not very well taken care of, most of the campsites had some trash blowing around in them and full of screaming kids half the night.
Started to pack up on saturday and 2 kids walked by talking about it was the closest they had ever been to a dead body and then sure enough about 25 minutes later we saw the coroner truck come in.,, Dont know what happened just that someone died or was found dead on the other side of the campground. So we figured it was good that we were leaving anyway,, not a place i would camp again..,, way too much underbrush to even get 2 hammocks in a good spot.
Sorry i cant make this one but hope you guys all have a great time and i hope to have a new knee and be ready to go by the fall MAHHA in october as well as i want to try some winter camping this year as well.
The new bb xlc was awesome, but i only got a chance to try it out for one night so far, gonna post some pics later.
Catch you guys next time..:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad ::mad:

mattyoc20
07-08-2014, 09:25
is this thing only saturday night? or is it firday as well

silentorpheus
07-08-2014, 16:38
Well, went car camping over at french creek this past weekend to see how the knee would hold up and ended up coming home early, gonna have to have the knee surgury for sure, can hardly walk , so any kind of hike in is out for me.
Somewhere in the back of my minds i thought i would feel better by the time it came up and be able but it's not gonna happen.
In case anyone is interested in trying out french creek, it was very UNimpressive, not very well taken care of, most of the campsites had some trash blowing around in them and full of screaming kids half the night.
Started to pack up on saturday and 2 kids walked by talking about it was the closest they had ever been to a dead body and then sure enough about 25 minutes later we saw the coroner truck come in.,, Dont know what happened just that someone died or was found dead on the other side of the campground. So we figured it was good that we were leaving anyway,, not a place i would camp again..,, way too much underbrush to even get 2 hammocks in a good spot.
Sorry i cant make this one but hope you guys all have a great time and i hope to have a new knee and be ready to go by the fall MAHHA in october as well as i want to try some winter camping this year as well.
The new bb xlc was awesome, but i only got a chance to try it out for one night so far, gonna post some pics later.
Catch you guys next time..:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad ::mad:

http://readingeagle.com/news/article/berks-county-coroners-office-investigating-death-in-french-creek-state-park

Looks like some guy was found dead in his van. They're ruling it a suicide.

Ratdog
07-08-2014, 18:48
is this thing only saturday night? or is it firday as well
Saturday night only.

Jshep may go Friday but not definite.

SilvrSurfr
07-08-2014, 19:15
Well, you could go on Friday. We so excited.

kfVsfOSbJY0

But Saturday is for the cool kids. Yesterday was Friday, today is Saturday.

GVCzdpagXOQ

Zilla
07-08-2014, 19:30
http://readingeagle.com/news/article/berks-county-coroners-office-investigating-death-in-french-creek-state-park

Looks like some guy was found dead in his van. They're ruling it a suicide.
Thanks for looking that up, real trip killer for the wife though