PDA

View Full Version : Oregon (or Pacific NW) backpacking paradises?

Chadwick
06-25-2014, 13:51
If you had one trip left in your tank and you had to choose your favorite backpacking trail/loop what would it be? Preferably in Oregon but I will eventually make it to Washington, Idaho, and Vancouver as well so any advice on those areas would be more then appreciated.

CamoDeafie82
06-25-2014, 15:08
Hmm I've not hiked much in Oregon, (going to try as much as I can this season); But I believe just about the entire area east of the Cascades, whcih includes Opal Creek Wilderness, Middle Santiam Wilderness, Pacific Crest Trail, (accessible I think from hwy 20/126?), the entire Willamette National Forest, BLM lands, Deschutes National Forest, and Tillamook State Forests are all pretty much good areas to hike/backpack, with lots of trees and lots of sites.... So far I've only camped in the Willamette National Forest area; and this is just starting out for me...

TallPaul
06-25-2014, 15:32
I know it isn't Oregon but I'd vote for something in the Olympic NP.

nuttysquirrel
06-25-2014, 15:42
timberline trail. check my gallery for pics, its amazing. and a loop

pgibson
06-25-2014, 16:09
I have not hiked in OR but there are areas that I always here about over there like the Eagle Caps. Not far from there on the ID side is Hells canyon and the Seven Devils.

I think there are not many places that compare with the Sawtooths here in central ID. There about as much a backpackers paradise as there is. Easy access, 1000+ miles of trials, hundreds of lakes with great fishing, well maintained trails, plenty of room to get off trail and explore.

5th
06-25-2014, 16:54
The PCT, starting at McKenzie Pass and going south past Obsidian. If you read up on the geology of the area it's a pretty fantastic section of trail.

Hanging_Coug
06-27-2014, 15:58
Eagle Cap is pretty impressive with its glacial valleys and granite peaks.

Gary_R
06-27-2014, 16:41
Obsidian Trail is pretty cool.. I am getting ready to do the Enchanted Valley in the Olympics.

nuttysquirrel
06-27-2014, 17:16
wilson river trail is short (22 mi.) but purty.
http://tavohikes.blogspot.com/2014/06/i-hike-wilson-river-trail.html

Playapixie
06-29-2014, 18:49
In Washington: 7 Lakes Basin & High Divide (harder), or Enchanted Valley (easy 14 miles each way), both in Olympic National Park. Adams Creek Meadows on Mt Adams (though you'd have to camp below tree line with a hammock.) Spray Park and maybe further (lots of options) on Mt Rainier. I can't pick just one. Mainly answering so I'll be subscribed to see other responses. :-)

Playapixie
06-29-2014, 18:51
Gary: bring LONG tree straps and extra line to Enchanted Valley. Those trees are big! Plenty of smaller deciduous trees to pick from too, but they don't shelter you from the weather as well. I just came back from there a couple days ago. :-)

Insaniac99
06-29-2014, 22:08
Gary: bring LONG tree straps and extra line to Enchanted Valley. Those trees are big! Plenty of smaller deciduous trees to pick from too, but they don't shelter you from the weather as well. I just came back from there a couple days ago. :-)
Out of curiosity, how long was each side of your suspension? I use 12' straps and 6.5' whoopee slings and want to know if I need to plan on extending them for that area..

Playapixie
06-30-2014, 02:35
Gary: my straps are 8 feet and way too short for many of the trees. 12 would be closer but still possibly not enough. The first trees I tried didn't work because my tarp ridge line wasn't long enough. I ended up using some cord to extend my tree strap on one tree. I did find trees 12-15 feet apart though so standard whoopies were fine. It's the getting around the girth of those old growth trees that's a challenge.

There are other trees to pick from though, but it was raining when I arrived and I wanted the cover of the forest rather than the openness by the river.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Chadwick (but Enchanted Valley is a super nice hike!)

slugbait
06-30-2014, 09:55
I've hung there several times using 12' straps- no issues.

Gary_R
06-30-2014, 11:19

I use adjustable webbing suspension.. I have nice long straps already, I live in the PNW after all....