PDA

View Full Version : Dont laugh- what do pads do?

Harpo63
07-16-2009, 09:58
Done laughing? Im new here, but definitely not a noob to hammocks. Have the same Hennesey I bought say... 10 yrs ago? Love it. Got hooked with a Mayan, got a ENO too. (Yes there are some things I think I need to change as far as gear or bags and Im finding them here!). I generally sleep what seems like the "old way" to you guys... Sleeping bag alone in the hammock. I was a long time backpacker before that and tent camped with thermarests. So I know what the pads do in that case... My sleeping bag from REI has two lofts- one side thicker for warmth, and a thinner side for warmer weather. So far, my back is comfortable and only once did it get cold enough that I added a space blanket under my bag (inside the hammock) and I was sweating. My initial impression is that the pad will just add bulk and make it uncomfortable? if its to help keep you warm, then wouldn't an uq do it? (be nice, Im just learning about all the cool stuff I could get for my hammock camping on my motorcycle!)

angrysparrow
07-16-2009, 10:01
Welcome to the forum.

My initial impression is that the pad will just add bulk and make it uncomfortable? if its to help keep you warm, then wouldn't an uq do it? (be nice, Im just learning about all the cool stuff I could get for my hammock camping on my motorcycle!)

Pads are indeed for warmth, not comfort.

Yes, underquilts work just fine, but they also cost more $. Pads are just another option to mix/match.

Cannibal
07-16-2009, 10:11
Pads also do a marvelous job of making you sweat. UQs are a much better choice IMO.

lori
07-16-2009, 10:26
If you are doing a very long hike in very high elevations and think there is a possibility of not being able to hang, a pad is a versatile thing - add to the underquilt for extra warmth, or pitch the tarp on the ground and sleep on the pad.

Most of the time I take two quilts and call it good. :)

Fiddleback
07-16-2009, 10:58
I don't experience warm nights on the trail anymore and I love it!!!

My warmest night in a hammock was 56° and I need underinsulation for that. My 7oz pad, with the rest of my sleep system works for me into the mid-20s. But some other system, boosting up bags and sleepwear and such, could probably do away with underinsulation.

But the weight, bulk, and cost might be changed as well.

FB

TinaLouise
07-16-2009, 14:19
ok, you've got the ther-ma-rest. Test it out!! Go hang up your hammock in the backyard (or a near by park), put the ther-ma-rest inside it, add your sleeping bag and hop in. It should be quite comfy!! You may need to let out a little air, the pads don't need to be as firm as when you're laying on the ground. Now if you can keep it under you, you'll be fine. You'll have to figure out how to get around that bottom opening in your hennesey. When the weather turns cold, you'll need something to keep the sides warm (where the pad doesn't reach up to, like your shoulders) So what do pads do??... They're your bottom insulation.

TiredFeet
07-16-2009, 14:40
Pads also do a marvelous job of making you sweat. UQs are a much better choice IMO.

The sweating problem depends on the person - some do and some don't. The pads are cheap enough that if the person is a non-sweater, then they can stay with the pads and be comfortable for a LOT less money. If they are a sweater, then they haven't spent a LOT of money to find out.

To me, giving one size fits all advice to a newbie isn't the best thing to do.

Cannibal
07-16-2009, 14:42
The sweating problem depends on the person - some do and some don't. The pads are cheap enough that if the person is a non-sweater, then they can stay with the pads and be comfortable for a LOT less money. If they are a sweater, then they haven't spent a LOT of money to find out.

To me, giving one size fits all advice to a newbie isn't the best thing to do.
Good point. I was being a bit of a smart-butt. My apologies.

plowhorse
07-16-2009, 15:44
ok, you've got the ther-ma-rest. Test it out!! Go hang up your hammock in the backyard (or a near by park), put the ther-ma-rest inside it, add your sleeping bag and hop in. It should be quite comfy!! You may need to let out a little air, the pads don't need to be as firm as when you're laying on the ground. Now if you can keep it under you, you'll be fine. You'll have to figure out how to get around that bottom opening in your hennesey. When the weather turns cold, you'll need something to keep the sides warm (where the pad doesn't reach up to, like your shoulders) So what do pads do??... They're your bottom insulation.

i agree with the try it out in a park. If yur backyard is like mine, the house, fence and other structures may give you a false feeling of warmth. I have slept very warm in my "sheltered" backyard, but had cold spots when hanging in the wild.

Knotty
07-16-2009, 17:14
Harp63 - Do you only hang in summer? It's very unusual for someone not to get cold w/o some type of insulation below them (pad in hammock or underquilt below). I hear 70 degrees offered as the temp below which some insulation is needed. Seems to agree with my experience.

deadeye
07-16-2009, 17:56
Underquilts aren't much use when you have to or choose to sleep on the ground. The pad offers insulation and comfort in both circumstances.

Memphis
07-17-2009, 07:11
Lots of info on staying warm - which is what a pad is for - here

http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingWarm.html

Hatrick
08-03-2009, 13:33
I'm new to hammocking period and was going to post a similar question. I live in Canada and it's quite cool here in the summers to begin with. I went tent camping July 4th weekend and it got to be about 50 degrees during the day. It was raining the whole time too which didn't help. The tent leaked too, hence my interest in hammock camping.

I was thinking about getting the hennesey hammock but going with a Big Agnes sleeping bag that has a built in slot for a pad so it doesn't move around, but it seems as if noone uses that method at all. I would prefer the UQ, but cash is at a premium right now.

What do y'all think? Thanks.

Cannibal
08-03-2009, 13:45
I'm new to hammocking period and was going to post a similar question. I live in Canada and it's quite cool here in the summers to begin with. I went tent camping July 4th weekend and it got to be about 50 degrees during the day. It was raining the whole time too which didn't help. The tent leaked too, hence my interest in hammock camping.

I was thinking about getting the hennesey hammock but going with a Big Agnes sleeping bag that has a built in slot for a pad so it doesn't move around, but it seems as if noone uses that method at all. I would prefer the UQ, but cash is at a premium right now.

What do y'all think? Thanks.
There are folks that use that combination, but generally folks start upgrading to some kind of underquilt over time. There is always the option of going to a short (or torso length) underquilt. Warbonnet makes an excellent one and mikeinfhaz is making one too. They are both priced under $200 and would be a perfectly good solution to your summer insulation needs. Light too!

Cannibal
08-03-2009, 13:45
Oh yeah, welcome to the forum!

Hatrick
08-03-2009, 13:49
Thanks. For both the information and welcome lol.

To be honest, I have yet to decide between the BB or HH. I like the extra foot space of the BB but the bottom entrance to the HH is a good concept. Especially in making sure no bugs get in.

Cannibal
08-03-2009, 13:52
Any of the short quilts can work on either hammock. The HH would just need a zipper mod done so you can reach out and adjust. Luckily we have a tremendous resource for that here on the forums.

Zipper Mod. (http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/id2.html)

Scratch
08-03-2009, 18:29
Is your REI bag synthetic? Synthetic doesn't compress as much as down and may still provide you with adequate backside insulation.