PDA

View Full Version : Tarp length

funbun
04-11-2007, 14:34
How do you determine how long your tarp should be? I've got 12 feet of fabric in my hammock. Would a 12 x 10 tarp do it? Or should I make it like 13 or 14 x 10?

blackbishop351
04-11-2007, 14:35
How do you determine how long your tarp should be? I've got 12 feet of fabric in my hammock. Would a 12 x 10 tarp do it? Or should I make it like 13 or 14 x 10?

The easiest way to figure that is to add a structural ridgeline. Then you've got a set length to work with. Just hang the hammock and measure the ridge, adding some length to both ends for full coverage.

txulrich
04-11-2007, 16:38
My MacCat Deluxe leaves about 18" from the actual end of the hammock to the tarp tie out on each end. I've never been wet when using it. My comfort level wouldn't let me use less. BTW, I use a Hennessey Explorer - Asym.

Coffee
04-11-2007, 17:02
When considering tarp length on a cat tarp, do not forget to account for the angled side cat cut. Depending on the degree of cat cut, the end few inches to a foot of a tarp length may not be wide enough to provide protection for the hammock.

slowhike
04-11-2007, 17:56
another consideration is how high above the hammock do you like to hang your tarp.
unless much wind is involved, i like to hang my tarp high.
that way, not only do i have a great view of the world around me, but i can walk around under the tarp more easily (up-right).
even if it's pouring rain, i have the same view & easy access. but if much of a breeze kicks up, it's time to look at lowering at least one end of the tarp, or add something as a shield at the end... like an umbrella or rain jacket.
a little extra length on the tarp, along w/ a strait cut end (rectangle or square instead of hex or diamond) helps too.
but the storage end covers will give me added protection & allow me to use a little shorter tarp.
the longer the tarp, the more likely you are to find your self not able to use a beautiful set of trees sooner or later because the tarp is to long.