PDA

View Full Version : $4900 Hennessy Hammock?!

Bearpaw
07-22-2009, 16:24
I was googling something about Hennessy Hammocks and almost stained my shorts when I saw an ad for a nearly $5000 Hennessy Hammock (http://www.nextag.com/Hennessy-Hammock-Cognac-Ellipse-540405066/prices-html).

I guess it's for REAL Hennessy connoisseurs! :lol:

Roadtorque
07-22-2009, 16:58
Buy it, then let us know how comfortable you are when you sleep!

Cannibal
07-22-2009, 17:02
Buy it, then let us know how comfortable you are when you sleep!
More like passed-out after drinking a $5,000 bottle of Cognac. :scared:

kykcamper
07-22-2009, 17:06
yeah, hammocks are rarely measured in ml.
"Hennessy Hammock Cognac Ellipse - 750ml"

Ramblinrev
07-22-2009, 17:09
If I had $5000 to spend on a bottle of booze I still wouldn't. I have trouble eating a $30 dinner entre in a restaurant when I consider where it will end up in a few hours. :lol:

RTR
07-22-2009, 17:28
If I had $5000 to spend on a bottle of booze I still wouldn't. I have trouble eating a $30 dinner entre in a restaurant when I consider where it will end up in a few hours. :lol:

Heck if I had $5K to blow on a bottle of booze I would for sure. And share it with everyone I could. That is if I had it to blow it.:laugh:

animalcontrol
07-22-2009, 17:33
oh buddy...Good Time Charlie strikes again!

Greg Dunlap
07-22-2009, 18:04
I guess I shouldn't mention the $40 Cohiba Cigar I enjoyed in Victoria then. JFK's favorite, he only signed the embargo after having 20 cases imported for his use. If you enjoy a good smoke, then the direction has alway been for me that I'll drink cheap booze and go out with dirty women, but never short my smoke.

But that's just me.

Ramblinrev
07-22-2009, 18:13
I have no concern whatsoever over what somebody wants to spend their money on. _I_ wouldn't spend $5K on a bottle of booze. If you want to... knock yourself out. I might even take a sip if offered to me. But for something I'm just gonna flush a few hours later?.... nah.. not me.

Beast 71
07-22-2009, 20:20
I have no concern whatsoever over what somebody wants to spend their money on. _I_ wouldn't spend $5K on a bottle of booze.

I'm with you Rev. If I spend $ 5K on something, I better be able to drive it somewhere!:laugh:

Bearpaw
07-22-2009, 20:40
More like passed-out after drinking a $5,000 bottle of Cognac. :scared:

Not passed out. KNOCKED out by my wife for blowing $5K on booze!

$5K is more than I paid for my last two vehicles.

Cannibal
07-23-2009, 09:09
I just had this conversation with a guy that gave me a hitch off the Colorado Trail. He was driving a beat-up Geo Metro. It had no handles inside and when he stopped on the side of the road he climbed out of the car all Dukes of Hazzard style. The tires were bald and one window was taped. However, he was wearing a $65 Underarmour shirt and a back hatch full of top shelf gear. My opinion, a real hiker has more money tied-up in gear than in a car. The way it should be. :D

I'd still be more than happy to buy (and drink) a $5K bottle of booze. This assumes I can afford to light my Cuben cigars with $100 bills, but hey, a boy can dream. :)

cliff355
07-23-2009, 14:13
_I_ wouldn't spend $5K on a bottle of booze.

Me either. I used to guide canoe trips in Ely, MN back in the 70s. Had one client who was bringing fancy booze in glass bottles, and told him to put them in plastic or they would bust. He said that would wreck the "bouquet" or whatever and went with glass.

I knew they would bust and he would be out of booze, so I picked up a bottle of rotgut brandy @$4/qt. and put it in a strong plastic jug.

By day two his bottles were smashed and he was all bummed out. So, I pulled out the jug of cheap stuff and told him it was actually really fancy stuff given to me by a previous client. But, I said the "bouquet" was probably shot because it had been in plastic for a while.

He took one whiff and said: "No, I can still tell this is very fine cognac." That cheap jug sure kept him happy, and I never told him the truth.

Ramblinrev
07-23-2009, 14:55
He took one whiff and said: "No, I can still tell this is very fine cognac." That cheap jug sure kept him happy, and I never told him the truth.

Well... even vienna sausages taste good in the back country. MMM MMM "they's ain't good.. but they's handy."

Gordzilla
07-24-2009, 00:46
I'd still be more than happy to buy (and drink) a $5K bottle of booze. This assumes I can afford to light my Cuben cigars with $100 bills, but hey, a boy can dream. :)

:eek: I know that some people are taking this lightweight stuff pretty seriously, but rolling a cigar out of cuben is just getting silly. ;):D

Cannibal
07-24-2009, 08:33
:eek: I know that some people are taking this lightweight stuff pretty seriously, but rolling a cigar out of cuben is just getting silly. ;):D
Probably taste funny too! :D
Can you tell I've been thinking of a new tarp lately? :o

te-wa
07-24-2009, 08:47
5 grand for one bottle of Cognac? Thats for bums!

you aint a high roller until youve had this small dent in your bank account: ya better raise your credit limit (http://www.tequila.net/tequila_news/new_brands_and_bottles/tequila_la_ley_del_diamante_-_the_diamond_sterling.html)

Ramblinrev
07-24-2009, 09:07
5 grand for one bottle of Cognac? Thats for bums!

you aint a high roller until youve had this small dent in your bank account: ya better raise your credit limit (http://www.tequila.net/tequila_news/new_brands_and_bottles/tequila_la_ley_del_diamante_-_the_diamond_sterling.html)

I beg to differ. They are selling the bottle. Admittedly the bottle may have a dead worm in it. But the bottle is focus of the ad. With the HH cognac they are selling the booze. The bottle will live on after you water the trees with the tequila contents. The cognac is just gone.

te-wa
07-24-2009, 09:51
agave worms dont come in tequila, youre thinking of Mescal. (from Oaxaca)
but yes, the bottle is the $$ pit.

NCPatrick
07-24-2009, 09:53
But I bet they won't sell you an empty bottle, no matter how much you want to pay for it. So it's a package deal. 2 for the price of 1. What a deal.

Ramblinrev
07-24-2009, 09:57

Shows how much I know my booze.

Cannibal
07-24-2009, 10:05
This is true today, but it hasn't always been. The worm goes in the Mescal simply and purely for it's added punch of soaking up the mescaline, which is a psychedelic alkaloid found in the cactus. The Peyote Cactus contains the highest concentration, but the worm is able to soak up concentrations of the drug in the cactus producing lower amounts. There's an old saying that says "eat the worm, see the world"; it's a hallucinogen that's all it is today.

Now, in years gone by, a worm was placed in all sorts of alcohol bottles. It wasn't for decoration or abuse. It was to provide "proof" of the alcohol content. Apparently (no idea if this is true) the worm can live in booze that has a proof of less that 80. Therefore, a worm would be dropped in a bottle to prove it's alcohol content was at least 80 proof.

Just useless trivia floating around my head that I thought I'd share.:D

Ramblinrev
07-24-2009, 10:23
A college professor dropped a worm into a beaker of alcoholic libation as the class watched. The worm died and the professor addressed the class. "Now class what does this demonstration prove?" The class sat rather confused and dumbfounded until on student raised a hand. The professor, delighted to see some thought eagerly called on the student who responded.. "Drink booze and you won't have worms!"

te-wa
07-24-2009, 10:44
Not having knowledge of booze is a good thing methinks!
im just glad im not the dummy who spent 250K on a bottle.. could've had a Gallardo (http://www.edmunds.com/lamborghini/gallardo/review.html) and some new clothes for that price.. but then again, he's pro'lly got 2 of those..

Red Hat
07-24-2009, 11:22
I'm so confused!!! Is this tread about cars, alcohol, cigars, or hammocks?

Ramblinrev
07-24-2009, 11:25
Yep! All the above.

te-wa
07-24-2009, 11:27
I'm so confused!!! Is this tread about cars, alcohol, cigars, or hammocks?

i'll start a thread called "what made you a cigar smoking, Lamborghini driving, tequila snob with a hammock?" :lol:

Red Hat
07-24-2009, 11:40
Well, just call me cheap.. I won't spend $5 for a margarita on Friday or Saturday when I can go another night (Monday or Tuesday) and get it for $1. I try to buy all my gear used. I spent $200 on used HHs before I figured out that a new BB was my best option. And it took weeks for me to justify the cost to myself... I drive a 9 yr old Saturn that still has dirt inside from when I hiked Virginia in April/May. I never smoked a cigar, and never learned how to smoke a cigarette properly back in '64 when everyone else was doing it backstage at highschool. Won't discuss smoking anything else later on... But I'm too cheap to buy. So $5000 cognac probably isn't for me, even if it's named after HH.

kykcamper
07-24-2009, 13:22
Me either. I used to guide canoe trips in Ely, MN back in the 70s. Had one client who was bringing fancy booze in glass bottles, and told him to put them in plastic or they would bust. He said that would wreck the "bouquet" or whatever and went with glass.

I knew they would bust and he would be out of booze, so I picked up a bottle of rotgut brandy @$4/qt. and put it in a strong plastic jug.

By day two his bottles were smashed and he was all bummed out. So, I pulled out the jug of cheap stuff and told him it was actually really fancy stuff given to me by a previous client. But, I said the "bouquet" was probably shot because it had been in plastic for a while.

This made me laugh really hard. When you're out camping, even cheap beer tastes good.

kayaknut01
07-24-2009, 17:21
cheap beer is the best when camping just make sure its cold, after 5 or 6 it all taste the same and you feel so less guilty when visiting the "rest room"

tony
07-28-2009, 17:53
I would love the option to purchase one! Coming from the UK we can only get the two Hennessy Hammock models, the Hennessy Hammock Expedition Asym & deluxe. I managed to find one uk online store selling the Ultra Light Backpacker! www.ecamo.co.uk wish we could get our hands on more.

Tony from UK