PDA

View Full Version : Whoopie sling newb

Jayjewels
07-22-2014, 19:36
I'm buying an Infinity Outfitter hammock with whoopie slings. Can I use the whoopie slings as straps to tie around the tree or do I need to buy separate straps in addition to the whoopie slings? I'm still trying to figure out all the pieces I need to set up a hammock. Thanks!

brokentree
07-22-2014, 19:39
You need straps as the slings propably aren't long enough and don't really have an end that will loop around a tree.

edgeaddict
07-22-2014, 19:40
I'm buying an Infinity Outfitter hammock with whoopie slings. Can I use the whoopie slings as straps to tie around the tree or do I need to buy separate straps in addition to the whoopie slings? I'm still trying to figure out all the pieces I need to set up a hammock. Thanks!
Good ups bro! Check out their store they have straps kit for sale. Or go to a sporting goods store and get some webbing

Bubba
07-22-2014, 20:21
The whoopie slings provide the adjustability in the suspension. The tree straps protect the tree by distributing the force over a wider area. Damage to the cambium layer under the bark can occur if you used thin cordage on the tree. In addition to protection, tree straps portray hammockers in a good light and shows us to be conscientious of the impact we have in the woods. If this form of camping is to continue to grow its important for us to be responsible.

Polyester webbing is preferred because it has very low stretch as opposed to nylon. Typically, the straps are put around the tree and the whoopie sling is attached to the strap via a few different ways. After the connection, the whoopie sling length is adjusted to set up the hammock. The Marlin Spike Hitch is a quick and easy way to attach the slings to the webbing. Some of the vendors here sell hardware that can be used instead of the MSH. Check out Shugemery's youtube channel for some great and entertaining how to videos on hammock camping.

SmokeBait
07-24-2014, 17:37
Well said Bubba...

The whoopie slings provide the adjustability in the suspension. The tree straps protect the tree by distributing the force over a wider area. Damage to the cambium layer under the bark can occur if you used thin cordage on the tree. In addition to protection, tree straps portray hammockers in a good light and shows us to be conscientious of the impact we have in the woods. If this form of camping is to continue to grow its important for us to be responsible.

Polyester webbing is preferred because it has very low stretch as opposed to nylon. Typically, the straps are put around the tree and the whoopie sling is attached to the strap via a few different ways. After the connection, the whoopie sling length is adjusted to set up the hammock. The Marlin Spike Hitch is a quick and easy way to attach the slings to the webbing. Some of the vendors here sell hardware that can be used instead of the MSH. Check out Shugemery's youtube channel for some great and entertaining how to videos on hammock camping.