PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Grand Canyon state hangers...

pisanodc
07-24-2009, 10:29
I was curious to see how many hangers there are in AZ. Are there enough of us to organize some sort of hanging gathering? Maybe for a weekend to escape the phoenix heat. It would be pretty cool to check out other hangers' rigs, showcase your own and maybe get some ideas for the future.

pisanodc

not all who wander are lost - JRT

te-wa
07-24-2009, 10:39
im in fountain hills, andy is in gold canyon, mike is in gilbert, chris is in tempe, another chris in phoenix, ryan in tempe, tyler in mesa, alex in tempe, wendy in tucson, angie in gilbert, a couple in flagstaff and sedona, man, there's a bunch of us.

you missed last year's AZ Hang, but go ahead and organize another one, i'll likely show up.

Roadtorque
07-24-2009, 10:41
I'm in scottsdale. There was a hang this spring that I was unable to attend. I think its a great idea

te-wa
07-24-2009, 10:50
you guys are always welcome to join our trips with the Arizona Backpacking Club (not strictly hangers, but a few of us there) Im leading a couple of nice backpacks to Reavis Ranch and Powers Garden this summer.

pisanodc
07-24-2009, 11:01
When are you taking these trips? Room for any more peeps? I was thinking of something in sycamore canyon. Been wanting to check it out just haven't made it yet.

te-wa
07-24-2009, 11:20
Sycamore canyon is where i shot my first youtube video, it may be warm up there right now, we took the Parson's Trail up to the spring last Spring.
Reavis Ranch is going to be an advanced/experienced trip using the Reavis Gap and Fireline trails. Its the "hard way" to reavis.
Powers Garden comes at a cost as well, moderatly strenuous, not going to kill you but you'll feel it in the morning. I urge you (and welcome you) to sign up via the ABC site (http://www.meetup.com/arizona-backpacking/) if you'd like to join these trips. Of course, i hike 2x per month (family gets the other w/e's) so not all of my trips are going to be part of the ABC. I just think its a great way to meet others and share our love for the wilderness, regardless of our opinions of other issues, camping (and hanging, especially) is something we can all agree on.

fishcranium
08-26-2009, 22:29
Yall,

I just built my first hammock and am quit enamored. I live in flagstaff and am a fisheries biologist for the state spending numerous nights sleeping on the ground. NOT ANY MORE. I would be quite interested in hanging with you guys and learning some tips and tricks.

pisanodc
08-26-2009, 23:07
Welcome to the forum,

I am doing a couple of trips with the Arizona Backpacking Club (ABC) in Oct. There are several hangers from what I here. You should think about joining. Either way I am down for a hang. By the way I am going to be selling my MacCat Deluxe tarp here soon. Great tarp if you are interested.

Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Angelo

te-wa
08-26-2009, 23:08
oh noes! a new spinn on an old design perhaps? :)

Scratch
08-26-2009, 23:17
I'd be interested in getting together with the other AZ 'hangers'. Set a date. Then I can be more definitive about coming.

pisanodc
08-26-2009, 23:29
I can't wait to take it for a spinn. Provided Brian returns my PM or email.

BillyBob58
08-27-2009, 01:12
Yall,

I just built my first hammock and am quit enamored. I live in flagstaff and am a fisheries biologist for the state spending numerous nights sleeping on the ground. NOT ANY MORE. I would be quite interested in hanging with you guys and learning some tips and tricks.

Hey there Fishcranium, welcome to the HF! I used to live on Roberta street in NW Flagstaff. Is that close to you? I sold that house to a guy who worked for the Forest Service in 1985, so it's been a while. Though I backpacked all over, I never had the pleasure of hanging from AZ Aspens or Ponderosa Pines. I will someday though.

longbow
08-27-2009, 01:21
I live in Scottsdale... it would be great to meet other Grand Canyon State Hangers.

gargoyle
08-27-2009, 04:21
I can't wait to take it for a spinn. Provided Brian returns my PM or email.

Brian is back in school, Pisano, so he will contact everyone in a couple weeks. Patience till then.;)

Sounds like a good group to hang with, watch that ugly, mustached guy tho. I wouldn't sleep anywhere near that guy, he has crazy eyes.:scared::lol:

pisanodc
08-27-2009, 06:51
I am hoping that one of those deluxe spinn's has my name on it. In his last post he said he has a few which he could send out. I am just going to keep my fingers crossed. He makes a darn fine tarp.

Not All Who Wander Are Lost - JRT

drewboy
08-27-2009, 07:08
Yep, count me in as another AZ hanger. We should definitely get another group hang organized. Hey Angelo, I see you are signed up for Mike's Chevelon Lake fishing trip. I'll see you there! It is really great to see all the hangers come out of the woodwork out here.

pisanodc
08-27-2009, 11:29
Looking forward to it drewboy. That's my birthday weekend and will accept gifts from warbonnet and oes. Ha Ha. As for an AZ hang maybe we could shoot for some time in Nov. before turkey day. My hammock might not be able to hold me after that.

te-wa
08-27-2009, 11:43
November 14th, central AZ so everyone can attend without a state-wide drive, and somewhere in the 4-5000' range with good trees and not too cold. Im down. Should I organize this or does someone else want to step up?

pisanodc
08-27-2009, 12:33
Do it. Count me in. If we camp somewhere there are nice flat rocks, I might be able to build a wood fired oven. Oh yeah! We could even cook fish in it.
I am staring to salivate.

te-wa
08-27-2009, 13:13
how about Canyon Creek? (http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=928) It is in a Ponderosa/Oak forest and has a perrenial trout stream with easy foot access.

Anyone interested in this hike is welcome - I urge you to sign up to Hikearizona.com if you can, its free and pro'lly the best resource for trails in AZ or any state for that matter.. you'll pro'lly be able to view the above link without signing up..

This hike is at the bottom of the Mogollon Rim, a 200 mile escarpement that holds the largest single stand of Ponderosa Pine in the world..

Canyon Creek is also being returned to "blue ribbon" status and i think that means there are native trout here that come in at 5lbs plus.. Ive seen a few 3 pounders with my own eyes.. fishing is recommended. November btw is when AZGF offers a pro-rated fishing license so if you dont have one get one now or wait till then, out of state fishers can get a 3 day license if desired..

this is a short easy backpack that requires a 1 mile hike, or up to 5 miles. There's some great areas to hang all along here but i like the area at about 2 miles in.

here's a quick shot i took of Canyon Creek with an $80 camera that came out ok..

fishcranium
08-27-2009, 22:08
Sounds like a good group to hang with, watch that ugly, mustached guy tho. I wouldn't sleep anywhere near that guy, he has crazy eyes.:scared::lol:

I'm new here so I assume that you are speaking of someone else. I am perfectly harmless as long as I take my..m..me..medication.

Sounds like a good time I look forward to joining you folks in AZ sometime soon.
http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt337/fishcranium/ME.jpg

te-wa
08-27-2009, 22:21
haha, looks like youre saying "you toucha my Guinness, I breaka you face"