PDA

View Full Version : Family forbids sale of Flight Jacket TQ

Ratdog
07-28-2014, 14:29
After winning the generous prize of a 30 degree Flight Jacket TQ at MAHHA, I discovered it was a bit small for me and was preparing to sell it to fund the purchase of a new Flight Jacket.

I mentioned my plans at dinner last night and my nephew nearly choked on his food. :scared: The college freshman aged young man is a converted, and now dedicated, hammocker. He had been eyeing that Flight Jacket since my return from MAHHA and blurted out, "but that's what I want for my H.S. graduation present!" "it fits me perfectly!" :boggle: "it would be perfect for the trip to the Adirondacks!!" :lol: ...so I guess he wants in on this upcoming adventure... he does make an excellent sherpa :laugh:

Well, I had already purchased him a tarp, and with the gaggle of nieces and nephews, it was gonna be a little tough to set that standard. Not to mention how to fund my new TQ. :cool:

So it was bargaining time, the negotiation commenced. I am in need of a bunch of yard work, shed repair and wood splitting, the boy, well he wants that Flight Jacket, no if's and's or but's about it. (and who could blame him?)

A bargain was struck, the Flight Jacket stays in the family. Late last night, I posted up a fire sale on HF, members stepped up and now my new Flight Jacket TQ order has been placed. (though I did hose up the taper type and had to fire off an email asap)

Looks like a squadron of Flight Jackets is forming up here in NJ and vectoring north to the canoe trails of upstate NY. :cool:

Just saying, there's gear that's tough to part with and stuff that should just as well stay in the family.

Ratdog
07-28-2014, 14:31
Pic of the Flight Jacket in question.
Notice the small woodpile, soon to be much much larger. :lol: :cool:

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t439/Ratdogman/Hammock%20Lab/IMG_20140722_083919571.jpg (http://s1059.photobucket.com/user/Ratdogman/media/Hammock%20Lab/IMG_20140722_083919571.jpg.html)

SilvrSurfr
07-28-2014, 14:36
That's funny.

Saves you from entering into a weird place too. I remember a thread from years ago where some thought that it was morally objectionable to sell something you had won at a group hang raffle, a position I found a little absurd. If you bought the raffle tickets and you won, then you own it and can do whatever you want with it!

2ply
07-28-2014, 14:36
Not a bad trade. Does he get the TQ before or after the work is done?

Ratdog
07-28-2014, 15:11
That's funny.

Saves you from entering into a weird place too. I remember a thread from years ago where some thought that it was morally objectionable to sell something you had won at a group hang raffle, a position I found a little absurd. If you bought the raffle tickets and you won, then you own it and can do whatever you want with it!
I actually felt weird contemplating it. Even though it would have meant generating business for UGQ, I just felt so stupid lucky winning such a generous gift, seemed wrong to sell it somehow.

lanejustin
07-28-2014, 15:14
I actually felt weird contemplating it. Even though it would have meant generating business for UGQ, I just felt so stupid lucky winning such a generous gift, seemed wrong to sell it somehow.

It's not like you were selling it and then just keeping the money...you were putting it back into their pockets. The same as if you had kept it and the other had purchased one. I would have seen no problems with it.

MAD777
07-28-2014, 15:17
Funny story!

Ratdog
07-28-2014, 15:17
Not a bad trade. Does he get the TQ before or after the work is done?
After as far as he knows.

Really I'm an old softy at heart and taking the time to teach him a few useful life skills is what I'm counting on.

He will have the TQ for the trip no matter how much work is done. But between now and then, I'll be busting his chops and showing how to get it done. Kid moves slow as molasses sometimes.

silentorpheus
07-28-2014, 15:36
Just saying, there's gear that's tough to part with and stuff that should just as well stay in the family.

I hear ya on this. For some reason I just can't bring myself to sell my first quilt - a 0˚ blue Crowsnest, bought right before they changed the name to Phoenix. Honestly there's no real reason for me to keep it, as I have a 20˚ and now a custom 0˚ incubator that actually weighs the same as the Crowsnest, thanks to the wonders of Argon.

But it was my first. And it's blue. And it'll make nearly a full length quilt for either my wife, or my son once he's old enough for me to get him in a hammock. So it stays in the gear collection, gets used as a loaner occasionally so that it doesn't get too lonely, and waits for my little guy to grow up and take ownership. :D

clean
07-28-2014, 15:41
He will have the TQ for the trip no matter how much work is done. But between now and then, I'll be busting his chops and showing how to get it done. Kid moves slow as molasses sometimes.

Perfect answer!

jwright
07-29-2014, 00:34
He is a lucky young man--that is one fine quilt.

Ramblinrev
07-29-2014, 08:28
Kid moves slow as molasses sometimes.

Apropos of nothing much, except be careful what you wish for. The Great Boston Molasses Flood of January 15, 1919 puts a whole new twist on that aphorism. 2.5 million gallons destroyed an area of Boston moving at a speed of 35 mph. The wall crest was said to be 8' high. 21 people died and 150 were injured. Hopefully you nephew will not create as much havoc.

Ratdog
07-29-2014, 09:03
Apropos of nothing much, except be careful what you wish for. The Great Boston Molasses Flood of January 15, 1919 puts a whole new twist on that aphorism. 2.5 million gallons destroyed an area of Boston moving at a speed of 35 mph. The wall crest was said to be 8' high. 21 people died and 150 were injured. Hopefully you nephew will not create as much havoc.

Slightly less at the very least. :laugh:

mychal
07-29-2014, 11:13
I thought this was an internet meme or urban legend, so I had to Google it to learn where the joke came from. Lo and behold, it ain't no joke.

sr1355
07-29-2014, 11:15
http://www.bostonglobe.com/rf/image_r/Boston/2011-2020/2013/01/08/BostonGlobe.com/Enterprise/Advance/Images/molasses001.r.jpg

CRAZY!!!!

Dos
07-31-2014, 06:37
This whole thread is amazing!