PDA

View Full Version : Calling Oklahoma hangers

greencountryhngr
07-29-2014, 06:40
Hey guys I am wanting to take a trip this fall around the time the leaves change in the quchitah mountains. Any one interested in joining me. Not sure of date or place yet but probably do 3 days maybe an out and back or a circle. I don't really know anyone around OK that backpacks. If your interested we can work out time and place.

Thanks
Josh

Hambone
08-14-2014, 12:55
I might be interested unless I have to be from Oklahoma :laugh:. I have been wanting to get over to the Ouachita Trail on the OK side. Though it doesn't have to be the OT if you had something else in mind

-Another Josh

uscgTT
08-14-2014, 13:50
I might be interested as well. Spent four days between Hwy 259 and the Arkansas border on the OT this last spring.

greencountryhngr
08-14-2014, 14:04
Awesome we are looking around the first week of November probably a 3 day 2 night loop.

wrangler88
08-14-2014, 22:11
I'm interested, depending on the date.

greencountryhngr
08-15-2014, 00:09
Awesome it looks like we have settled on a 26 mile loop 3 days 2 nights around the beginning of November maybe end of October still need to finalize that. That kind of depends on work schedule.

Hambone
08-15-2014, 09:43
This is the Loop we are looking at. http://www.ouachitamaps.com/Horsethief.html
You can click on the map at the left to zoom in.
It is the Horsethief Springs/ Billy Creek Loops. They do a sort of figure 8 on the North and South sides of Winding Stair mountain and utilize short sections of the Ouachita Trail in between.

As far as the date goes, with fall colors the intent, the last two weeks of October and the first two of November will be the best. I, myself, will not be able to go on 10/31-11/2 but if it works out that it is best for the group I will bow out.

greencountryhngr
08-15-2014, 19:36
I am with Hambone that 31st thru the second is a no go Halloween is a big deal with us.

greencountryhngr
08-15-2014, 19:42
Probably the Nov 6-8th or 7-9th would be best for me depending on work schedule which I will not know till a couple weeks before but that's the window I am looking @.

Hambone
08-15-2014, 20:30
hah, it didn't even click that it was a Halloween too. Our boys don't trick or treat so it aint that big of a deal. The wife's church has a huge harvest festival. For me that weekend is the BackpackingArkansas.com Gathering of Hikers. Cant miss that!

I still believe the prime viewing for fall colors will be around the 8th

greencountryhngr
08-15-2014, 20:37
Yeah I am thinking your right Hambone. I am hoping everthing works out and this trip comes to fruition.

wrangler88
08-18-2014, 19:36
I have to work the weekend of the 8th. But I'll keep an eye on this thread anyway and see what ya'll figure out. I have a few vacation days left but I'll have to see how it goes.

Stogie Bum
09-02-2014, 19:36
think i'll throw my hat into the ring Greencountry. i've already got Nov 6-9 scheduled as vacation, and i've been wanting to get there all year long. It'll be my first trip to the area, so looking forward to it.

greencountryhngr
09-02-2014, 19:46
Awesome man look forward to having you join up. We will solidify plans couple weeks before

Stogie Bum
09-24-2014, 22:59
Looks like my daughter wants to throw her hat into the ring also. We're going on an overnighter this weekend to let her check out her new pack. Onward!

greencountryhngr
09-25-2014, 04:28
That's awesome man I hope she likes it. I can't seems to get my kids into it but there all still young. Look forward to here joining us. we will sit down and powwow middle of next month and get plans set in stone.

greencountryhngr
10-05-2014, 20:58
Well I have some bad news my work schedule has changed and I am not going to be able to make this trip. Sorry guys. I hope everyone still makes it and takes pics. If my work schedule changes I will be there in a heartbeat but untill then I guess I will try again in the spring.

Stogie Bum
10-07-2014, 20:32
That's disappointing news. So other than my daughter and I, how many others are lined up for this trip?

greencountryhngr
10-07-2014, 22:24
I am not sure the number but everyone in this thread that said they were in i guess.

Hambone
10-08-2014, 14:45
I am still in on this trip.

OgtheKing
10-08-2014, 16:32
I've been sub'd to this thread watching it. I'd like to go if I can get the days away from work and the okay from my wife. Have the days been locked down? Also what's this hike like? I've done ERL twice in the last four years. Would it compare to that hike? Just trying to get a idea of what I would need to expect.

Stogie Bum
10-08-2014, 17:53
OgtheKing, this will be the first time for me and my daughter to walk these trails so i'm afraid I can't answer your question about how it compares to ERL (what does ERL stand for?). Judging by the topo maps of these two loops, it looks like there are many elevation changes, with one of them stretching from 1700' to 1100' in one mile. I don't know how rocky and rough the trail is, but will assume it's pretty bumpy. The map shows that it crosses several creeks, but i don't know if they are running all the time or just wet-weather creeks.

Perhaps Hambone has done these loops before and can give us some insight?

As far as the dates, they are locked down for us two.

oldgringo
10-08-2014, 18:17
All of the creeks in the area are wet weather only. ERL is Eagle Rock Loop, in AR.

I believe Tarp and Gimpy have hiked some of those trails...they are both members here.

wrangler88
10-08-2014, 19:25
What are the exact dates? Is it still the weekend of Nov 7 - 9? I can't go that weekend. I just wanted to double check that those are the for sure dates.

Stogie Bum
10-08-2014, 19:29
Hi Wrangler88,

yeah, those are the dates that i have.

sidenote - i sent PM to Gimpy to see if there was any info to pass on to us.

OgtheKing
10-08-2014, 21:35
This is the Loop we are looking at. http://www.ouachitamaps.com/Horsethief.html
You can click on the map at the left to zoom in.
It is the Horsethief Springs/ Billy Creek Loops. They do a sort of figure 8 on the North and South sides of Winding Stair mountain and utilize short sections of the Ouachita Trail in between.

As far as the date goes, with fall colors the intent, the last two weeks of October and the first two of November will be the best. I, myself, will not be able to go on 10/31-11/2 but if it works out that it is best for the group I will bow out.

I just went to this link to read up on the trail. There's a trail report from last month. It doesn't sound like the trail is in very good shape right now. Lots of blow downs and under growth making trail blaze hard to find. I don't believe I'll make this hike but will add it to my bucket list.

http://www.ouachitamaps.com/Trail%20Reports.html

Stogie Bum
10-09-2014, 17:30
Hey Hambone,
after reading the report from above, my daughter and i have decided to find a different place to hike. this will be only our 2nd trip out, so we'll save this loop for another time. So, that being said, do you know of a different loop that's in good shape? Daughter was curious about Mt Magazine (AR) and/or McCree (OK). Been to either one of them? We're still good with Nov 7-9.

Hambone
10-09-2014, 18:54
I have never been on the original planned loop. I was told that when it is used, it is used by horses. I would definitely be open to changing locations. The OT could be another good option, which was my original thought for this trip. We could run a shuttle. As far as loops, there is the ERL. Also some loop options in the Beech Creek Scenic Area but I believe those in the BCSA are not used much and overgrown. An out and back on the Blackfork Mountain trail could be another option

Stogie Bum
10-10-2014, 13:44
OT sounds interesting. What were the start/stop points you were considering?

Hey Og, by changing the trek are you interested in rejoining the group?

OgtheKing
10-10-2014, 14:31
Sure, I've got the ok from my wife so it'll just be get'n away from work. I'll put in for those day and see if they approve them.
I have a truck that seats 5 and can do some shuttle to/from the start/finish if we don't do a loop. I'll get back with ya as soon as I find out from work.

Hambone
10-11-2014, 11:15
Here is a link to the trail with maps and some links to descriptions and trip reports. The first sections are in Oklahoma and western Arkansas and are also the toughest. There are multiple access points so I'm sure we can find something to suit everyone. I'm good with where ever, so I will let the rest of ya pick. Or if anyone else has suggestions throw them in the hat.

http://www.ouachitamaps.com/OT.html

OgtheKing
10-11-2014, 12:04
I've hiked Hwy 27 to Lake Maumelle of the OT except a small section that had been burnt off the week before the hike. I've wanted to do some of the sections on the Ok side. If I can get off from work I'm good for any section.

OgtheKing
10-12-2014, 17:29
I just talked to a good friend that may be up for this trip also. He's new to backpacking and hammock camping. He and I did a small trip 2 weeks ago on the Buffalo River Area. We were on a new area that starts at the Maumee river access and goes farther down river. It was a fun hike with great overlooks but we didn't find any spots that looked used for camping. We had to stealth hang both night.
Enough rambling, he was asking how large of a group we would have? He's worried about slowing down the group. I told him I thought it was only @ 3 others going but not sure. Is there anyway we could get a headcount of ppl interested in this hike and also + or - miles planed on hiking each day. Also the area we would be on, just so I can pass it on and see if it's something he feels good with. Thanks
Last thing, I put in for the days off yesterday so hopefully I'll know early this week if I have them off.

Hambone
10-12-2014, 20:42
So far: Me (hambone), Stogie Bum and Daughter, OgtheKing (pending work schedule).

As far as location and mileage it is still up in the air. I, myself am open to just about any location and can hike at any pace. I am best at suggesting options and letting the group pick.

OgtheKing
10-13-2014, 19:54
Okay, I got the days off from work and the thumbs up from my wife. I'm good for any section of the OT or something else if that's what everyone wants. Just looking forward to getting out and hang a few days.
Let me know where and when.

Hambone
10-14-2014, 08:38
Let's go ahead and plan for Section One of the OT. Talimena State Park to Winding Stairs Campground, 23.7 miles. November 7-9

OgtheKing
10-14-2014, 09:45
Okay, that sounds good to me. I'll pass it on to me buddy and see if he's in. I can meet y'all and help shuttle to or from one of the trailheads.

OgtheKing
10-14-2014, 19:11
I may have another friend interested in going. It may be up to 3 of us or just me, not sure yet. I'm in ether way, I need a weekend away and can't think of any place I'd rather be then hanging between two trees. I'm going to get my Tim Ernst book on the OT out right now and read up on section 1.

Stogie Bum
10-14-2014, 19:16
Hey everyone,
I've been offline for a couple of days but Sounds like we have a plan. Already had my daughter take a look at the route and we're excited. We're newbies too, so hope your friend joins us. Will comment more in a couple days.

OgtheKing
10-14-2014, 19:23
Okay, great. I sent both of them a link to this thread. Hopefully they'll see your post and that'll encourage them both.

Stogie Bum
10-15-2014, 23:37
awesome. hope they join us. we'll be coming in from the east side but think i'll be able to meet at one end or the other and provide shuttle as needed. talk to you soon.

OgtheKing
10-16-2014, 07:12
Okay, I told my wife I may drive over Thursday and camp somewhere close. It's around a 4 hour drive from Bryant. That may keep me from having to leave to early.

Hambone
10-16-2014, 08:08
I plan on coming up Thursday night also. Hopefully camp at Winding Stairs.

OgtheKing
10-29-2014, 16:20
Hambone, are you going to be at the gathering this weekend?

Hambone
10-29-2014, 17:52
Yes sir! We should be there after 5 pm on Friday.

OgtheKing
10-29-2014, 18:03
Great, we are leaving in the morning. See ya there.

Hambone
11-05-2014, 17:02
Not gonna be able to make this trip, work seems to always get in the way

Stogie Bum
11-05-2014, 17:53
Sorry to hear that Hambone. Daughter and I are still planning on it, and hopefully Og and his friends will make it too.

OgtheKing
11-05-2014, 18:14
Doesn't look like I'll be able to go ether. I'm working in Louisiana this week and haven't been able to pack anything yet. Sorry, I was really looking forward to getting on section 1. :-(

Phippsness
11-18-2014, 16:47
Are you guys going to do a winter hang up there? If so im down

mtn.manGann
12-03-2014, 06:58
Are you guys going to do a winter hang up there? If so im down

I'd bee down too!

Hambone
12-04-2014, 22:11
I am open to plans after the first of the year.

OgtheKing
12-05-2014, 09:20
Me too, I'll be open to go after the new year also. Looking forward to something good after the last trip getting canceled. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone.

OgtheKing
01-28-2015, 21:44
Been thinking about getting this hike up and going again. Would anyone be up for doing section 1 on the 20-22? Not 100% I can get off but I feel pretty good about it. If there's any interest I'll put in for the PTO ASAP.

Hambone
01-31-2015, 10:10
You can count me in

Texas Hanger
01-31-2015, 11:36
I might be interested... The description says it's very vigorous. That's kind of a subjective term. I've done the Cross Timbers hike a couple of times. It kicked my butt too. I would not want to tackle something more rigorous than Cross Timbers. How would you rate this hike?

okhike
01-31-2015, 12:00
I've not done cross timbers, but I've hike section 1 of the OT a few times. I know it's a subjective thing, but I think vigorous is an accurate description. There are a lot of ups and downs, and the trail is really rocky at times. That said, it's a beautiful section of trail and worth the effort! You guys enjoy the hike!

OgtheKing
01-31-2015, 14:37
I have no experience on Cross Timber ether or section 1 of the OT yet. Glad you are in Hambone. Maybe we can get a few more by then. I've put in for the PTO, should know for sure by next week.

OgtheKing
02-01-2015, 23:31
After talking to Hambone we need to move this to the last weekend of Feb. That would be the 27,28&1.

uscgTT
02-17-2015, 00:41
I will be headed to the Ouachita trail April 5th, and leaving the 9th to head to the Waynoka Snake Hunt. If anyone is interested.

Jedediah300
08-02-2015, 01:47
Anyone up for a hang?

sustaireblues
08-03-2015, 08:04
Yeah! I'm pretty tied up for the next month or so. What do you have in mind?

Jedediah300
08-04-2015, 10:35
Any place to take my 16 year old to backpack into and hang. Just looking to hookup with other enthusiasts.

greencountryhngr
08-04-2015, 10:41
We're are you located there is always Trails on core land hike in and hang for a weekend. I do that all the time when I have time.

wagex
08-04-2015, 10:49
im probably way far from all you guys. lol. or id be down.

oldgringo
08-04-2015, 10:51
Any place to take my 16 year old to backpack into and hang. Just looking to hookup with other enthusiasts.

Greenleaf Lake is good.

Jedediah300
08-04-2015, 11:51
Well I'm a Scout Master with my younger sons and go out once a month. My oldest is not in scouts, and I'm looking for more technicaly challenging weekend trip that.

Jedediah300
08-04-2015, 11:51
That we can drive to from Moore, OK

Stogie Bum
08-17-2015, 21:56
I've been wanting to go back to McGee Creek, down by Atoka. really liked the area when i was there at the end of last year. only got to spend one night out there, but the sites were nice. I'm not sure what kind of technical challenge you're looking for.

DustHunter
08-18-2015, 12:09
Greenleaf State Park I think is good for a shakedown trip. Its near Beggs, and has a 12 mi. loop. The only problem is that it is on U.S. Government land and you are only allowed to camp at two place on the trail.

Jedediah300
08-18-2015, 12:15
We have done Greenleaf before.

leatherhead
08-18-2015, 12:35
just saw this thread today....may I suggest a drive along I-40 east to Shores lake/white rock mt. near Mulberry Ark. about 40 miles east of Ft Smtih .

its a geat lil 13mile loop trail... it uses a section of the OHT for the loop... there waterfalls and great rock bluffs.

Takes me about 3hrs from Tulsa.

Jedediah300
08-22-2015, 14:55
Very nice, I will add it to the top of our list

CanoeH34d
09-29-2015, 06:57
We're are you located there is always Trails on core land hike in and hang for a weekend. I do that all the time when I have time.

Could you share some info on where these trails are on corps land that you hike in and hang on? I've been getting pretty frustrated lately as it seems that primitive camping on any corps land is against the law and they don't seem to care much about encouraging Oklahkmans to get outdoors. It seems like if it's not for hunting they don't want you to use the land.

oldgringo
09-29-2015, 07:58
^^I live on Lake Eufaula. There are no trails, but there are miles of shoreline with no development on them, and I have never, in over 20 years, seen any sort of law enforcement presence. Be smart, don't camp in someone's back yard, leave no trace, and enjoy yourself. This land is your land.

CanoeH34d
09-29-2015, 17:53
^^I live on Lake Eufaula. There are no trails, but there are miles of shoreline with no development on them, and I have never, in over 20 years, seen any sort of law enforcement presence. Be smart, don't camp in someone's back yard, leave no trace, and enjoy yourself. This land is your land.

I'm glad to hear someone shares my thoughts on Oklahoma corps land.

n2outdrs
09-29-2015, 20:00
One thing to think about is hunting season is upon us and i know some places I choose not to go as it is too close to hunting land. I have been to shores lake and teach kayaking there often, it is a nice area. I spend most my weekends in AR, I love it there, bu I would like to visit some new places in OK.

CanoeH34d
09-30-2015, 08:09
That's another part of Corps land thy is kinda nice, if they don't have an agreement with the Oklahoma wildlife department then hunting isn't allowed on corps land

Dhara75
12-06-2015, 17:10
Are you guys planning any trips in December?