PDA

View Full Version : The BB has arrived!

Scratch
07-26-2009, 18:58
Got my new dbl1.1 blackbird & yeti yesterday.

Had to wait until 6am this morning to try it out ... when the temperature outside was only ~90F. I'm loving it already.

I'm planning a 3day backpack trip this weekend in northern arizona. I'll get a couple nights of playing around with it. I'll post my experiences next week.

My entire sleep system ... BB, yeti, Golite Ultra 20, MatCat deluxe with cords & stakes is only 4oz heavier than my prior system: SMD Lunar solo, NeoAir & WM Ultralight + Tyvek ground sheet, stakes, etc. I figure with some of the recent postings on lighter weight suspension systems, I should be able to eliminate the 4oz weight penalty ... or I could always spend more money and buy a spinnUL tarp ... or maybe not.

Hammocks have a real 'geeky' quality about them!

ikemouser
07-27-2009, 05:52
Got my new dbl1.1 blackbird & yeti yesterday.

Had to wait until 6am this morning to try it out ... when the temperature outside was only ~90F. I'm loving it already.

I'm planning a 3day backpack trip this weekend in northern arizona. I'll get a couple nights of playing around with it. I'll post my experiences next week.

My entire sleep system ... BB, yeti, Golite Ultra 20, MatCat deluxe with cords & stakes is only 4oz heavier than my prior system: SMD Lunar solo, NeoAir & WM Ultralight + Tyvek ground sheet, stakes, etc. I figure with some of the recent postings on lighter weight suspension systems, I should be able to eliminate the 4oz weight penalty ... or I could always spend more money and buy a spinnUL tarp ... or maybe not.

I got the same setup as you, have'nt decided to switch out the suspension yet, seems like i could mess it up, but may eventually, with spinn and diff suspension thats like at least 10oz. congrats on the hammock!

Cannibal
07-27-2009, 08:44
Yeah, last word I ever thought I'd use to describe myself would be 'geek', but I can't really argue the point much; it's so very true. :D

ikemouser
07-27-2009, 21:59
If you do switch out the suspension, post pics please, thanks!

Scratch
08-02-2009, 17:38
Just got back from a 3day/2night BP trip and was able to tryout the new BB.
There's absolutely nothing I can add to all the positive things people have said about the BB. I have NEVER slept through the night while sleeping on the ground in a tent. This weekend, I slept for 6 hours straight. (If it weren't for nature's call, it probably would have been longer.)

On the 1st day, there were some monsoon storms rolling-in around 4pm. I was all set to pitch my OES MatCat Deluxe at the first drop of rain. Fortunately I didn't need to. (I would never have considered pitching my tent. What a great benefit to hammocking.) That night, I hung the BB on a slope (not because I had to, just because I could). I liked the idea of spending the night somewhere a tent could never go. Getting up the next morning, I felt like a drunken sailor (no offense to sailors), as I tried to stand up on the sloping ground. I think I'll stick to level terrain when available.

On the 2nd day, I decided to put the hammock up around lunch time ... big mistake, I slept for an hour. That night, I setup camp a little earlier than planned near a small stream, between 2 trees that looked like they were meant for me.

I like being able to sit in the hammock to eat breakfast/dinner. It sure beats finding a rock, a log, a stump or bringing along a 1# chair.

In summary: I'm am glad I took the advice of so many on this forum who speak so highly of the BB (and MatCat). This is one converted 'groundling' who will never go back.

Below are some pictures:

gargoyle
08-02-2009, 17:49
I'm assuming you slept like a baby?!

Scratch
08-02-2009, 18:00
better! (I think I was a colicky baby)

ikemouser
08-04-2009, 22:51
Thanks for the pics mate, do you wrap your ridge line for your tarp around the tree twice or just once so theres one end coming from behind the tree on each side and no wrap between them on the tree? Also does your hammock webbing run inside the loop your tarp ridge line makes around the tree or does it push on the tarp ridgeline loop on one side or the other. Mine always seems to tug on one side or the other of the tarp ridgeline as i lay down.

Scratch
08-04-2009, 23:08
Thanks for the pics mate, do you wrap your ridge line for your tarp around the tree twice or just once so theres one end coming from behind the tree on each side and no wrap between them on the tree? Also does your hammock webbing run inside the loop your tarp ridge line makes around the tree or does it push on the tarp ridgeline loop on one side or the other. Mine always seems to tug on one side or the other of the tarp ridgeline as i lay down.

I only wrap the ridgeline around the tree once (to a figure 9). That allows me to make minor adjustments to center it over the hammock. The hammock webbing runs just below the tarp ridgeline. The 2 are pretty indepedent of each other.