PDA

View Full Version : Too many Hammocks!!!!

SmokeEater
07-29-2009, 13:45
:scared: Ok I think I have made my mind up on the hammock I want. Clark Jungle Hammock Ultra Light. Now this is subject to change since I am very new to hammocks. Just wanting to know some of the pros and cons for the ultra light. Thanks.

Clumseybear
07-29-2009, 19:51
Great choice, my only thoughts would be why not spend a few dollars more and get the tropical so that if one day you want the weather sheild you have given yourself more options.

Cannibal
07-29-2009, 23:47
I agree with Clumseybear. I don't own any Clarks, but I've been privileged enough to use a few of them for many nights. Those weathershields are a great feature; I really like them. Can it be completely removed or just tucked back into it's pocket? I don't remember. :confused:

Clumseybear
07-30-2009, 05:44
The Weathersheild cannot be completely removed on the NA, but I would guess on the tropical since its an add on, the sheild can be removed when not needed.

TinaLouise
07-30-2009, 14:33
I tuck it into the pocket that's on the top of the foot end. I don't think it will come totally off of the hammock. Guess that's something I'll have to check out...

smokeEater: what kind of temps and conditions will you be using the ultralite? When I was deciding on which to order, I looked at what temps I'm usually in. I liked the ultralite but decided on the tropical because of the versitility of that weathershield. And boy am I glad I did. I've found it amazing the difference that thing does... example, camping along the CapeFear River, temps diped and I've only got a summer uq, the clothes I'm wearing and a thin silk sheet. I'm cold!! Woke up and zipped that weathershield shut and wa-la, I'm warm. I also like that the head end of my tropical has skeeter netting and ripstop nylon that folds down. Makes it a whole lot cooler inside when camping in the very humid hot south w/skeeters, I can have the head end just showing the netting. These will add weight but I found it to be worth it. The number of pockets under neigth are different. I use these pockets for my gear so nothing is left on the ground when I'm sleeping. I like that these pockets are spread apart, it keeps the bottom of my hammock cooler. And way cooler than the NA Clark. Course, that also means that I get cold on the bottom side faster than if I was in a NA but that's why I carry an uq. (or a pad) The ultralite will also be cooler on the bottom side so with either, you'll need under insulation.