PDA

View Full Version : Four tie outs

funbun
04-15-2007, 20:38
I'm about to put in the tie outs on my Quasi HH Safari Clone. I was wondering if there would be any advantage to making four tie outs instead of just two?

rptinker
04-15-2007, 23:27
Definitely lots of advantage! My HH clone has four. Two for the asym effect and another two near the head and foot. These gave me a much roomy feeling. Im planning to add two more opposite the head and foot for more flexible set up.

Coffee
04-16-2007, 01:34
I think you might have problems finding 4 tie-outs, maybe not if you tie them to your tarp stakes. One thing to try might be to have 2 per side connected with a cord, and another cord attached to that cord that you tie out.

blackbishop351
04-16-2007, 02:04
I think you might have problems finding 4 tie-outs, maybe not if you tie them to your tarp stakes. One thing to try might be to have 2 per side connected with a cord, and another cord attached to that cord that you tie out.

The single-cord might not give you the shape you're looking for. I'm presuming that the extra tie-outs are just to keep the hammock more open? They wouldn't contribute to the asym shape... In that case, why not use a spreader bar setup like Tim's? Seems simpler. I don't have ANY tie-outs on my hammock because I was constantly tripping (and then swearing, of course) over the cords on my HH. I can't imagine how irritated I would get with four...might run off all the wildlife! :eek: :p

rptinker
04-16-2007, 02:39
The single-cord might not give you the shape you're looking for. I'm presuming that the extra tie-outs are just to keep the hammock more open? They wouldn't contribute to the asym shape... In that case, why not use a spreader bar setup like Tim's? Seems simpler. I don't have ANY tie-outs on my hammock because I was constantly tripping (and then swearing, of course) over the cords on my HH. I can't imagine how irritated I would get with four...might run off all the wildlife! :eek: :p

im not very familiar with the spreader bar for camping hammock. could you gives us the link to this set-up?

slowhike
04-16-2007, 06:07
im not very familiar with the spreader bar for camping hammock. could you gives us the link to this set-up?

here's a link to the thread where the spreader bars & end covers are talked about.
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=582&highlight=end+covers
there's more pictures w/ captions underneath in the home made gear section too. ...tim

funbun
04-16-2007, 07:52
Well, I'm not a hiker, more of a bicycle tourist. What would I use as a spreader bar? And yes, I had planned on lining the tieouts with the blackcat tarp I'm making.