PDA

View Full Version : Hammock storage, loose or stuff sack?

stevebo
07-29-2009, 18:16
Ive got a question for you guys: when storing a hammock for an extended period of time (more than a couple of weeks) is it better to store the hammock loose, or to keep it in its snakeskins/stuff sack, or does it matter? I was cleaning up my gear room today, and thought about it----Im sure someone on this forum has and opinion on the subject!

Ramblinrev
07-29-2009, 18:20
If its dry it can be stuffed with safety as there is no loft to mat down. If it is damp (either the hammock or the storage area) you might want to store it loose so it can get some air circulation and prevent mold. The mold won't rot the nylon or polyester, but it can sure make it smell funky and not be very healthy to sleep in until cleaned out.

angrysparrow
07-29-2009, 18:20
For a hammock, it doesn't really matter. There is no harm in leaving the fabric rolled/stuffed away. Down/Synthetic filled quilts, on the other hand, should be stored uncompressed for best long-term results.

edited to add - Rev is right about moisture. I didn't consider that anyone might 'store' a hammock in a wet-condition.

Ramblinrev
07-29-2009, 18:24
I didn't consider that anyone might 'store' a hammock in a wet-condition.

Clearly you have never seen any of our basements. :lol:

Tiki
07-29-2009, 20:47
I just got back from a fogged in campout. I needed to air/dry out my sil tarp once I got home.

Basicly, anything with loft you need to store "loose"; anything else.. you need to make sure it is dy.. then store it.. well..in a nice dry/dark place.

TinaLouise
07-30-2009, 12:46
Clearly you have never seen any of our basements. :lol:

basement!!! What's a basement???
Oh yea, we call them "swimming pools" where I live:lol:

about storage: when I get home I always set up my hammock out in the back yard. I like to check it out, make sure it's clean and dry, I've even found little critters between the weathershield and the netting. The tarp, I do it the same way and also check to make sure there's no holes and if it's dirty I'll spray it with water and wipe it clean. Then when totally dry, I'll roll them up and store them in their stuff sacks. Then when I grab them for my next trip, I know they're ready to go.