PDA

View Full Version : webbing at REI

Ewker
04-16-2007, 09:19
How does this webbing compare to what Speer sells. This is military spec webbing

http://www.rei.com/product/472006

http://media.rei.com/media/472006_1507Prd.JPG

Use this tubular webbing to create your own runners or slings in just the lengths you need.
Tubular construction: nylon fibers are woven into a tube, then flattened to form double-layer webbing
Meets industry-standard military specs for breaking strength and resistance to abrasion

Specs: 1-Inch Military-Spec Tubular Webbing

Specification Description

Strength 18.1 kilonewtons

They also have elastic cord that you can buy per foot

headchange4u
04-16-2007, 09:31
It would work but tubular webbing tends to be a little heavier than needed. Does it say what it made of? Most tubular webbing I have seen is nylon which stretches and it makes it a bad choice for support lines.

I would recommend polyester webbing. It has very little stretch and should be more abrasion resistant.

The best place I have found the elastic cord, or shock cord, is Ebay.

Coffee
04-16-2007, 09:35
The non-tubbing climbing webbing I got at an outfitter came out to almost twice as heavier as the Speer webbing.

NCPatrick
04-16-2007, 10:09
Looks interesting though. It would be nice to have a local source for webbing.

txulrich
04-16-2007, 10:18
I recently bought some to make support lines for my HH. I'll let you know how it works.

Ewker
04-16-2007, 10:19
My REI has lots of webbing, shock or elastic cord on rolls. They also have poly webbing which I didn't see on their website. I might have over looked it.

blackbishop351
04-16-2007, 10:42
Tubular nylon is definitely strong enough, but is pretty heavy and stretches. The weight can be avoided by using smaller webbing, but in my experience anything made for climbing is going to stretch a LOT. It's made that way in order to compensate for really high dynamic loads, like from a fall. The nice thing about Ed's webbing is that you know it's light and it's not going to stretch much - before you buy it.

gstepclassical
04-16-2007, 11:39
The REI 1" tubular webbing is what I am using. Fifteen feet weigh in at 6.2 oz.
I weigh 230 lbs and have experienced some stretch but I just snug it up once using the ring buckle system and I am good to go. There is no slip through the rings. I have read about people ending up on the ground due to slippage so I did the slip knot thing and they were in exactly the same position the next morning.

Coffee
04-16-2007, 13:00
Unless I am figuring wrong, that is still a lot more than the Speer Webbing. I weigh 220+ and am using his 1" webbing without any issues as of yet.

robertm
04-16-2007, 13:07
Is Speer webbing & Hennessy tree hugger webbing the same material?

Coffee
04-16-2007, 13:13
No, I cannot tell you what exactly the HH stuff is, but it looks thinner and wider than the Speer stuff to me.

Just Jeff
04-16-2007, 17:24
The HH huggers I have are 1" nylon. They probably stretch a bit but you can't really tell with that short length. With full-length webbing like Ed uses, you could tell.

That tubular webbing is overkill but it would work. That strength is over 4000 lbs, where Ed's is 700. I made some huggers from that tubular stuff...works fine.

104" of the tubular stuff is ~4.5 oz for ~.50 oz/ft
80" of the 1" HH huggers is ~1.75 oz for ~.26 oz/ft

gstepclassical
04-16-2007, 19:04
All of the research I have done on the web states that tubular webbing, either nylon or polyester, is low stretch.

jr05
04-17-2007, 20:03
All of the research I have done on the web states that tubular webbing, either nylon or polyester, is low stretch.

Low stretch is a relative term. I use 1" tubular webbing for slacklining and I can tell you, it DOES stretch quite a bit. Wrapped around a tree though, at that length, I doubt the stretch will be noticeable. I do think 1" webbing is a little overkill for this type of application though...

-JR

blackbishop351
04-17-2007, 23:21
Tubular climbing stuff is definitely overkill for what we need, unless you're using some that's really small (~ 1/2").

I've seen the larger stuff (~ 1") stretch a LOT...and talked to a lot of climbers who say that every piece of rolled climbing gear - ropes, webbing, whatever - is MEANT to stretch in order to absorb high dynamic loads.

Also - and this comes from Ed Speer - nylon is not the best choice for hammocks because of its high memory. It springs back almost to its original length after stretching. The poly stuff that Ed sells stretches initially but then stays stretched - hence the term "low-memory stretch." This is nice for us because it means we only have to wake up on the ground once or twice when we first use it :p

gstepclassical
04-18-2007, 06:23
I just got back from a clinic on mountaineering and rock climbing where I work. This was conducted by someone who used to guide at Mt Rainier and has climbed to the summit 16 different times. He has also climed the second highest peak outside of Asia somwhere in South America. The point is this guys life depends on his equipment. I specificly asked about 1" military spec. nylon tubular webbing and he said almost no stretch. They use it for anchor points when top roping. Also, not all climbing rope stretches. It depends on the type of climbing you are doing as to what type of rope you are using, static line or dynamic load. This info can be obtained from the packaging when you buy the rope. It will list, among other things, the elongation characteristics and load rating.