PDA

View Full Version : New SLD trail lair issue

barchetta
08-21-2014, 08:29
Received my 11 ft DL 1 sided zipper trail lair yesterday and am having an issue where the zipper is really hard to close while laying inside of it. I have to pull the netting pretty tight to get it to close. Anyone else out there having the same issue?

mountainhanger
08-21-2014, 10:37
I have one, a dl of the coyote brown, i think it is the widest at 68" finished. I had a little trouble in the begining until i found that where the pull out is, thats where the sippers meet which is right at my shoulder not mid body length. did that for a while until the zippers kinda broke in? guess that what it is, anyway they work fine now, but at the point of the pull out i do have to make sure hammock body and or net at that point is pushed out and that makes it easier,,,its really just how i open and close it now,, handy part of that tho is that i just move the one above my shoulder and i can reach out and get my water , or what ever ..just my experience. its one the most comfortable hammocks ive ever had :)

barchetta
08-21-2014, 11:18
I have one, a dl of the coyote brown, i think it is the widest at 68" finished. I had a little trouble in the begining until i found that where the pull out is, thats where the sippers meet which is right at my shoulder not mid body length. did that for a while until the zippers kinda broke in? guess that what it is, anyway they work fine now, but at the point of the pull out i do have to make sure hammock body and or net at that point is pushed out and that makes it easier,,,its really just how i open and close it now,, handy part of that tho is that i just move the one above my shoulder and i can reach out and get my water , or what ever ..just my experience. its one the most comfortable hammocks ive ever had :)

I agree, besides my ridgerunner, that it is the most comfortable hammocks i've ever laid it. It's just impossible to close the zippers without using 2 hands, one holding the netting and nylon together about 6 inches ahead of the zipper and the other pulling the slider.

nothermark
08-21-2014, 16:53
FWIW try rubbing a candle or other wax source on the teeth then run the zipper a few times. Don't go crazy with the wax. Makes a good lube and does not pick up dirt. ;-)

mudsocks
08-21-2014, 21:11
FWIW try rubbing a candle or other wax source on the teeth then run the zipper a few times. Don't go crazy with the wax. Makes a good lube and does not pick up dirt. ;-)

My grandmother used a bar of ivory soap on sticky snow suit zippers when I was a kid. Works amazingly well and I still use this myself.

barchetta
08-21-2014, 21:17
91975 Well I figured out what the issue is. Instead of following the natural radius of a free hanging hammock, Jared decided to square off the middle 24 inches at a straight line. This picture shows where I run into the issue and you can kind of see the part of the netting I'm speaking of. With a 108 inch ridge it is near impossible to close. I put the ridgeline on the outside of the netting and it's better, but not much. Setup like this I'd have to have a longer ridgeline inside the meeting just for me organizer. Not real happy about that.

mychal
08-21-2014, 21:21
What did Jared day when you contacted him? Feels like you're blowing him up on here instead of giving him a chance to do right. Or am I wrong about that?

barchetta
08-21-2014, 21:29
What did Jared day when you contacted him? Feels like you're blowing him up on here instead of giving him a chance to do right. Or am I wrong about that?
I don't think I'm blowing him up at all, just listed the facts in hopes to get some other members real world experience. I certainly haven't said anything mean or nasty about his work. His trail lair netting is clearly cut the way I describe on purpose, even the lairs on his website show this. The product, as per Jared usual, is top notch. From what mountainhanger had to say it seems like he had the same issue.

barchetta
08-22-2014, 06:08
So Jared thinks the issue is that the ripstopbytheroll camo 1.1 oz wasn't as wide as he's used to dealing with, forcing the netting to have to stretch to compensate. This is causing the binding in the zipper. He already ordered more material from them and is going to make a whole new hammock, free of charge. The only downside is that he will have to sew two pieces of netting together to get the proper width for the camo I've selected.

However this thread came across, all I've been looking for was outside/real world experience with this fantastic piece of gear.

Jared's response and quick action to get this issue resolved on my end can't be praised enough. I've even offered to send this one back for a retro fit of the new netting, guess we'll see what he says. Knowing him he'll refuse. I can't wait to see what I get from him in the next week or so.

Jared is a stand up guy who has an unbelievably strong work ethic, he also recognizes that customer service and word of mouth are his business's back bone.

I hope others reading this post see past the mistake and take away from it the fact that he's probably going to lose money on my custom order just to be sure that every time there is a "Who's Jared" thread, I'll be one of the many to say "You can't go wrong buying anything of his. He's good to go!"

Otter1
08-22-2014, 07:05
I read nothing in this thread that sounded like you were negative towards Jared in any way, FWIW. You were seeking a solution in an open, non-negative way.

Not sure what Mychal is reading that I'm not.

Go Jared!!!!

michigandave
08-22-2014, 07:23
Sounds like the problem is all taken care of. One thing about Jared is that he stands behind everything he makes. Subtle hint here: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?95303-Why-no-Simply-Light-Designs-subforum

I have a Trail Lair 1.6 10 footer with the double zipper and it took a little time for me to perfect the opening and closing. I found that if I had the zipper on the opposite side of my shoulder, it would always be easy to open up. I think the key is to keep the pressure off of it, because I could see how you could potentially damage the zipper by forcing it. I love how comfortable and light mine is!

barchetta
08-22-2014, 07:32
I read nothing in this thread that sounded like you were negative towards Jared in any way, FWIW. You were seeking a solution in an open, non-negative way.

Go Jared!!!!

Good to know. Thanks :-)

barchetta
08-22-2014, 08:09
Sounds like the problem is all taken care of. One thing about Jared is that he stands behind everything he makes. Subtle hint here: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?95303-Why-no-Simply-Light-Designs-subforum

I have a Trail Lair 1.6 10 footer with the double zipper and it took a little time for me to perfect the opening and closing. I found that if I had the zipper on the opposite side of my shoulder, it would always be easy to open up. I think the key is to keep the pressure off of it, because I could see how you could potentially damage the zipper by forcing it. I love how comfortable and light mine is!

I've spoken with Jared about the lack of sub forum and he has told me that he does pretty well for himself on his own and didn't see the need to pay for more advertising like some of the larger hammock makers do. He does all of his own work and doesn't employee anyone else. Advertising would not only cost him more money, but it would also bring more work than he said he could handle.

I do think it's too bad that for all the time i've spent on this site, it took me purchasing something random, like whoopies or straps, from him on ebay before i ever found his website. At this point i own 3 of his hammocks and if i ever want anything custom i offer it to him first. His work is second to none and better than most. I've recommended him to friends and family and they've all been surprised at the level of detail, craftsmanship, and price, especially considering it's all made right here in the good ol usa.

mychal
08-22-2014, 08:40

Go Jared!!!!
We'll have to disagree, then. I think barchetta finished up well here, but my personal philosophy with the Mom and Pop shops is when there is an issue, handle it on the DL _first_. Then, if they don't work to resolve your issue to your satisfaction, then post away about the issue, I guess. My mistake here is thinking I would convince anybody to handle things like I would.

Otter1
08-22-2014, 09:14
We'll have to disagree, then. I think barchetta finished up well here, but my personal philosophy with the Mom and Pop shops is when there is an issue, handle it on the DL _first_. Then, if they don't work to resolve your issue to your satisfaction, then post away about the issue, I guess. My mistake here is thinking I would convince anybody to handle things like I would.

No Mychal,

I agree that your recommended approach (call the vendor first) is good. Nothing wrong with the OP seeking input here, as long as he remains "constructive", which he did.

My reference was to you saying that the OP was "blowing him (Jared") up". He did nothing of the sort.

barchetta
08-22-2014, 09:48
No Mychal,

I agree that your recommended approach (call the vendor first) is good. Nothing wrong with the OP seeking input here, as long as he remains "constructive", which he did.

My reference was to you saying that the OP was "blowing him (Jared") up". He did nothing of the sort.

My thinking as well.

gmcttr
08-22-2014, 10:32
I've spoken with Jared about the lack of sub forum and he has told me that he does pretty well for himself on his own and didn't see the need to pay for more advertising like some of the larger hammock makers do...

Just to be clear...a vendor sub-forum has nothing to do with advertising. There is no way for a vendor to "buy" a subforum. It is simply a matter of if/when the volume of posts is high enough to warrant a sub-forum from an ease of moderation perspective.

barchetta
08-22-2014, 10:43
Just to be clear...a vendor sub-forum has nothing to do with advertising. There is no way for a vendor to "buy" a subforum. It is simply a matter of if/when the volume of posts is high enough to warrant a sub-forum from an ease of moderation perspective.

Well that's good to know, other forums dealt with in the past charged an "advertising" fee for having a sub forum. I stand corrected.