PDA

View Full Version : Colorado in early October

sadrian
08-28-2014, 12:45
Hi everybody. Wanted to see if I could get some feedback from you all. I've never done any camping/backpacking any time except for summer. I would like to go somewhere in early October for a short overnight with a couple friends. Would be looking for something in the 5 mile range. Any info would be great maybe approx temps to expect that time of year in the area suggested? I know that can be a lot to ask as weather changes very quickly. Thank you take care!

OutandBack
08-28-2014, 13:04
You can never go wrong hiking the Colorado Trail. How high would you want to hike?
Also keep track of hunting seasons. The mtns are crawling with out of staters in the fall.

sadrian
08-28-2014, 13:12
Ya that has.crossed my mind as well. I dont think we would like to go too terribly high. Anything you would suggest? One of your favorites?

OutandBack
08-29-2014, 11:36
Ya that has.crossed my mind as well. I dont think we would like to go too terribly high. Anything you would suggest? One of your favorites?

I usually bike all the lower trails and prefer the high altitude for hanging. Nothing comes to mind. Are you looking for views, is access to water important?

sadrian
08-29-2014, 11:52
Water as well as views would be nice. Maybe a nice lake or stream? And really elevation its not a huge issue. I just thought that time of year up high may be getting pounded with snow already.

midge14
08-29-2014, 19:30
We just did a trip two weeks ago to Twin Crater Lakes, it's up the Poudre Canyon. The hike is ~5.5 miles per the map we had but we were guessing closer to 6. It's 2500 ft of elevation gain and you end up pretty close to tree line, but the trail doesn't have too many switch backs and is mostly just a steady gentle incline. I can't vouch for what the weather will be like since I have only been there once, but there was still snow at the top when we went. It starts out around 8,000 and ends up over 10,000. Since you end up at a lake you can get water at camp, and there are several stream crossings along the way that you could get water at as well.

JollyGreen
08-29-2014, 21:41
might be interested depending on date

sadrian
08-29-2014, 22:30
I have read about twin crater lakes. I was also thinking about doing heart lake up by moffet tunnel. It's a nice hike and beautiful. I just figured I would see if you all had suggestions. Thank you! JG I will keep you in the loop as to when we are going to go. Once I have more details.

Dirk G
09-03-2014, 12:29
The goose creek trail fits your description well, in the Pike National forest. One of my favorite places to go. about 4.5 miles to some great camp sites near the creek. pretty easy hike in to some really spectacular views. Temps would probably be in the 30's at night. We went last month and it got into the high 30's. No snow yet as its only around 8,200 ft. 92590

mcallaghan
09-09-2014, 11:24
Higher peeks (13,000+) are starting to see a little snow when it rains at around 8,000 ft now. I'm in the Aspen/Snowmass area. Which wouldn't be a bad place to come hang! Lots of options out here - from the Maroon Bells to Hunter Creek and American Lake.

Anon83
09-12-2014, 14:33
Keep me updated as well if you would please!

I would love to go if Goose Creek is the destination, and am pretty familiar with the area, but have never been to this particular trail.

Also I should be free during that time! Thanks!

oruacat2
09-16-2014, 21:37
I'll be in the Durango area the last week of September, doing a mix of short backpacking trips and car camping (just got my CO 4WD trails book today, and I'm checking out the easy ones). I'll have my two dogs with me. I'll scout out some places and revisit this thread.

Syrrka
09-27-2014, 00:56
I would love to go if Goose Creek is the destination, and am pretty familiar with the area, but have never been to this particular trail.

Was just on the upper end of the Goose Creek Trail this week. We hung in an aspen grove in Refrigerator Gulch. The night-time temp was 37 degrees. It is a beautiful area. Have fun if you go there.

JollyGreen
09-27-2014, 07:14
Any update on this from the OP?

sadrian
09-27-2014, 08:17
Sorry it's such short notice. But we have decided to do an overnig by the on the goose creek trail Saturday night. I will be talking with the guys this weekend about exact times and such. It's crazy to plan anything as everyone has jobs and kids and family so it's been a little CRAZY! If anyone still has interest let me know.

sadrian
10-03-2014, 07:28
We are still planning on going to goose creek this Saturday. Should be be at the trail head around 11 or 1130.

JollyGreen
10-03-2014, 09:15
We are still planning on going to goose creek this Saturday. Should be be at the trail head around 11 or 1130.

How about some more info, hike in, if so how far, car camping, water supply, where exactly the trail head is for us not from this area......

sadrian
10-03-2014, 09:55
It will be a hike in about 4.5 miles. Im told/have read There is a creek that runs the majority of the way of the trail. I have never been to this place so it will be a new experience for me. If you Google goose creek trail it will come up with directions from wherever you are.

JollyGreen
10-03-2014, 10:34
Gonna try and make this, will know better tonight.