PDA

View Full Version : Hammock Sock

Doctari
04-17-2007, 08:15
I just got a hammock sock from Hammock Engineer, similar to the one (from the plans?) at: http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearHammockSock.html

OMG! This thing is great, it weighs about 11 OZ but added at least (percieved) 5 Deg. warmth.

On the test night in question the temp only got down to 40, but there was (I think) significant wind chill. In my back yard the wind usually (90%) comes from the West, or at least a Westerly direction, for some reason it shifted to coming from the North that night. without the sock I would haveundoubtedly had to change orientation of my tarp / Hammock or go inside & sleep in a, dare I say it, , , Bed :eek: But with the sock on, I slept thru the night. H.E. has a draw string at the head end of the sock, & I had it pulled nearly closed, leaving about a 4" diam. opening, this was facing into the wind, yet I felt no breeze at all. I feel that with the tarp / hammock oriented correctly the added benifit would have been about 10 degrees or more. I woke several times without my overquilt on, granted I was chilly, but I wasnt overly cold, and warmed quickly once I re-covered. The night before under similar conditions (wind from the west tho) I would NOT have been out from under my quilt, so I must assume I got a bit too warm, which is GREAT!

I do'nt know if such a thing would work on a HH, but on a Spear style (I have a SG "Skeeter beeter" travel hammock) it is WONDERFUL. And an additional 5 - 10 or more degrees for only 11 OZ, It's worth the weight "cost", at least to me. AND, it fits inside my snakeskins.

So, if you have the ability, I highly reccomend a "hammock sock" at least for cool or cold weather.

My setup:
SG "Skeeter beeter" travel hammock.
SG 9X9 "Neo" tarp
KAQ Patomic underquilt.
Very OLD (over 21 years) 30 degree sleeping bag, used as a quilt.
14" x 20" X 1/4" ensolite pad under my torso (it's my sit pad) just because.

With the above set up, I easily do 30 deg.

Add the "H.E. special" Hammock sock, and I think (hope?) I can get to 25, maybe lower.

Imagine how cold I'll be able to go with a new overquilt :D Which I order this afternoon.

Doctari.

headchange4u
04-17-2007, 08:19
That's great Doctari. Hammock socks do go a long way to make for a comfortable night.

You got any pics?

NCPatrick
04-17-2007, 08:21
Good news Doctari. I'll be making one of these before it gets cold again. Yes, please post pics!

Coffee
04-17-2007, 09:38
Glad you like it and getting use out of it. Other wise it would be sent to the land of misfit projects.

I noticed the biggest difference when it was cold. I think I was measuring something close to 20 deg difference above my face. This was huge for me, basically making the air I was breathing in a lot warmer. It was maybe 10 degrees at the footend.

funbun
04-17-2007, 10:56
Hmm do you use this in conjuction with an underquilt?

blackbishop351
04-17-2007, 11:00

Mine is sized to allow for an underquilt, but it can be used just as well by itself in milder temps.

Doctari
04-17-2007, 13:30

Yea, used right now with an underquilt. But as Blackbishop says in warmer temps just the sock. I think I'll likely leave mine on year round just cause. Mine barely takes up the space of a baseball, if that much.

I will take pics tomorrow, if I can get the digital camera to work :rolleyes:
And I'll try to post them right away, if I can get that to work :eek: :eek:

Doctari.

Coffee
04-17-2007, 13:38
Below are a couple pics of it from my gallery. These are before I tappered the foot end to save weight.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/7/9/HammockSockClosedHeadEnd.jpg

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/7/9/HammockSockOutsideView.jpg

slowhike
04-17-2007, 15:56
hammock socks & travel pods are a proven piece of gear. well worth it.

Doctari
04-17-2007, 20:05
Thanks HE, that's my sock before it became mine :p

Coffee
04-18-2007, 11:12
Thanks HE, that's my sock before it became mine :p

No problem, going to start one for me after I get my quilts done. Now I needs something a foot longer and not as wide.

funbun
04-20-2007, 08:55
Okay, what is the insert for? That makes no sense to me? Inserting what, for what reason?

blackbishop351
04-20-2007, 09:14
Okay, what is the insert for? That makes no sense to me? Inserting what, for what reason?

What insert?

Doctari
04-20-2007, 09:50

Yea, I don't remember any "insert"!

She (just finished giving directions): "Think you can find it?".
He: "You lost me at the Bakery!"
She: "You don't go past a Bakery!"
He: "Oh, , , , maybe thats why you lost me!" :p

funbun
04-20-2007, 10:52
Step 6: (http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearHammockSock.html)

Step 6: Decide how big you want your insert and cut it. Make sure the red lines of the insert are not longer than the green line on the TravelSock body or it won't fit. Set the insert aside.

What does this mean?

blackbishop351
04-20-2007, 11:02

What does this mean?

Oh - Jeff puts a separate piece of DWR in the bottom seam of his sock/pod. He says it gives him more room in the middle. I didn't do that - just cut everything to fit the girth measurements I made - and mine works fine. The insert just looks like extra work to me, but I'll let him comment on the advantages he sees in it.

Coffee
04-20-2007, 11:04

What does this mean?

I did that mainly b/c the ripstop I was using was not wide enough. I think it helps keep it open some, but I can't say how much.

Just Jeff
04-21-2007, 20:52
Using an insert, you can make the pod wide enough using only one length of material. So you can make a pod from a single 120"x60" piece instead of 240"x60" (or 240"x48" if you have the narrow stuff).

Risk has a good pic of that on his website.