PDA

View Full Version : Idaho Hang/Hunt/Feast

pgibson
08-02-2009, 10:55
OK so it looks like my trip report has genarated a bit of intrest from a few to come on up this way for a get-together. So far Plowhourse and Gargoyle have said they would be in. Anybody else? For now we are looking at next fall as the possible time, I just looked through the game regulations and most zones are open for elk season in October and early November. For that time of year we would need to plan on frezzing conditions and a high likly hood of snow. But last year temps were still warm into late October. And the first real snow of the year was not untill late December, so anything could hapen.

So any body else intersted in making the trip up for a fall group hang? The topic of steaks and brew was raised in my TR thread. So why not make this a feast. Many areas that we could pick to go would have good access from car, so taking a load of food and drink would not be a problem and then we could hike in further from there.

So any questions, ideas, or more intrest?

Paul

plowhorse
08-02-2009, 11:12
i am definatley in for next year. as far as where, i was thinking somwhere in frank church wilderness. don' know if yu have any knwledge of area, but I think it would be cool for a elk hunt/hammock hang.

pgibson
08-02-2009, 16:12
Frank Church would be cool, I have actually not spent much time up that way at all. And to get there we would be headed past the sawtooths and tones of other great areas as well, more my neighborhood as it were. So we could try to hit some of the scenic spots if there were time.

Anybody else, even a maybe?

Paul

MacEntyre
08-02-2009, 18:49
I'd love to get an elk with my lefty Savage 110 30-06!

I'll see if I can make it... need to know the date soon, though.

- MacEntyre

pgibson
08-02-2009, 19:06
MacEntyre, I will go by the sporting goods dept. in the next day or two and see if the 2010 regs are out yet. The 2010 fish regs have been marked as the same as 2009 so the hunt regs may stay the same as well. But I would think the earlier in October the better just as far as temps would go. There are lots of areas to chose from and the state is broken into so many hunting zones that one zone or another look like they are open almost every day from October 1 - mid November. Any time that works better?

Roadtorque
08-02-2009, 19:13
2010, I could be anywhere at that point. If I'm in Idaho (or in the general neighborhood) count me in. Cant pass up a steak dinner while hammock camping!

Cannibal
08-03-2009, 10:06
I might be in for that! I don't hunt, but I can eat and drink beer with the best of em.

plowhorse
08-03-2009, 11:10
that fine cannibal, yuo could just carry out any elk we might get

Cannibal
08-03-2009, 11:13
that fine cannibal, yuo could just carry out any elk we might get
I'm gonna have to start working out! :scared:

plowhorse
08-03-2009, 11:28
what do you think paul, since cannibal is ok with it, all non hunters in the trip MUST agree to be porters?

pgibson
08-03-2009, 12:10
LoL. Hey I think the more the better. But I don't know if we should scare them off just yet. :)

plowhorse
08-03-2009, 12:15
yeah i know what you mean. Besides I can always bring an extra rifle for someone just getting into hunting(cannibal can I convert you?)

plowhorse
08-03-2009, 12:22
on second thought, I don't know if I want to be in the mountans with a guy named cannibal and hand him a gun:scared:all we would need is some banjo pickin' and we could be filmming DELIVERANCE 2:lol:

Cannibal
08-03-2009, 12:48
yeah i know what you mean. Besides I can always bring an extra rifle for someone just getting into hunting(cannibal can I convert you?)
Ha! I've got at least as many firearms as hammocks. I killed one deer when I was a youngin; didn't care for it. But, as a kid growing-up in Texas, you'd better learn to shoot. I'm a **** good paper-killer these days. My grandpa (greatest man ever IMO) was a sniper back in the day. I was lucky to have him as a instructor. I really enjoy and have been through several 'urban defense' courses and very much enjoy target shooting on dynamic ranges.

But, critters...nah. I'll be the first in the chow line, but I'll let someone else pull the trigger.
Now, if you need a beer can shot from a couple hundred yards...that's something I'm very well equipped for. :D

Take-a-knee
08-03-2009, 13:12
Ha! I've got at least as many firearms as hammocks. I killed one deer when I was a youngin; didn't care for it. But, as a kid growing-up in Texas, you'd better learn to shoot. I'm a **** good paper-killer these days. My grandpa (greatest man ever IMO) was a sniper back in the day. I was lucky to have him as a instructor. I really enjoy and have been through several 'urban defense' courses and very much enjoy target shooting on dynamic ranges.

But, critters...nah. I'll be the first in the chow line, but I'll let someone else pull the trigger.
Now, if you need a beer can shot from a couple hundred yards...that's something I'm very well equipped for. :D

I'm a hunter myself but I completely understand your mindset. I'm put off by the complete lack of reverence exhibited by some of today's TV hunters, all the whooping and hollering and what not after a kill.

Cannibal
08-03-2009, 13:40
I'm a hunter myself but I completely understand your mindset. I'm put off by the complete lack of reverence exhibited by some of today's TV hunters, all the whooping and hollering and what not after a kill.
Thanks.
I often catch a bunch of flack from my huntin buddies about not wanting to take down critters. Nice to hear kind words for a change. :D

Genuine Draft's son would very much like to join the hang/hunt. He's on a mission to bag an Elk so he can send back pics to his dad aka: "the big game hunter". His dad lives in Florida. Anybody seen the size of the deer in Florida? There are bigger dogs in my neighborhood. Gotta love a 19 year old whose main mission in life is to make his dad feel inadequate. :lol: I"ve met the 'man', shouldn't be too difficult.

plowhorse
08-04-2009, 02:07
cannibal I have nothing against people that don't hunt. For me it's being out there that matters, not killing something. As far as deer size, I know what you mean I hunt california blacktail. My 4 month old st bernard is almost as big as one.

pgibson
08-04-2009, 10:31
I aggree with Plowhorse, I would like to be sure we keep this a hang first and a hunt for those that would like to second. And if someone gets a elk or a deer well then we have better meat for dinner, breakfast, lunch, snacks, brunch, lunner, and as much more meat as we can stuff in :) MMMM I love real meat! But realy please don't get turned away if you don't hunt and think you might like to come. There are so many places to hike, backpack, see and do all the folks that don't hunt can have a load of fun. There are hot springs all over the place, mountains to hike and climb, rivers to fish, you name it, there is something for everyone to enjoy up here. I am not much of a hunter myself so depending on were we end up deciding to pick as a basecamp I might spend as much time hiking as anything else, I just love being in the mountains! So I guess I am saying is everyone is welcome, hunter, fisher, hiker, all hangers alike! Groundlings will be even accepted, although maybe we sould have shirts printed up that say "I am a Groundling" on one side and "help me!" on the other!? :)

Cannibal
08-04-2009, 10:35
Elk tag for an out of stater is $450. I think Ricky almost cried. :crying:lol:

pgibson
08-04-2009, 12:48
Elk tag for an out of stater is $450. I think Ricky almost cried. :crying:lol:

Ouch, I knew it was up there but man, well hope that dose not kill it for everyone. Deer tags are a bit less it looks like, closer to $300. And hey if the Fish and Game do go through with some of there plans you might be able to get a Wolf tag by next year. Now what would "the big game hunter" say to his boy getting a wolf?

MacEntyre
08-04-2009, 13:04
Elk tag for an out of stater is $450.
Ok, I can hunt in NC and hang in Idaho...

gargoyle
08-04-2009, 18:27
Schedule changeThis is now a "STEALTH HANG AND HUNT" $450:scared::scared: what is that Idaho's idea of economic stimulus. geez. Time to order the camo tarp. And I need a silencer for my 50 cal;)

fin
08-04-2009, 18:33
I may be in for the camping/hanging part. It's next year (which is a long way away,) and I gave up hunting, but I always enjoyed deer camp. I'd love to hang in Idaho. I'll keep this in my calendar, JIC.

pgibson
08-04-2009, 18:54
Yay, Sorry guys, may just be cheaper for you to move here for a couple months so you can qualify for a local tag ;) Tourist hunting is big here so the state dose try to capitalize on it a bit. Buy a huge margin tourism is the bigest economic venue the state has. But hey we can still have a feast, I will bake the best potatos you have ever had. !hey no spud jokes! Shug likes his Onions I like my taters! I like onins to, they are good on taters and steaks.

Right now I am thinking early October would be best, 1 its the best bet for a bit better temps, 2 my daughter is due earlie this November and my wife tends to be a week or so earliy of due dates so late October is a possibility and if I miss the fist Bday I had better just not come home at all ;) but other than that it sounds like we might have a decent group here. If hunting slips out of the picture a bit due to cost we could turn it into a bit of a backpacking trip, the Sawtooths would be nearly deserted by October and we would have the hole range to ourselves, not much hunting throughout most of the range anytime.

Paul

plowhorse
08-04-2009, 19:58
I'm still open for hunting. I plan on spending at least a week of actual hunting, so we could have the hang on either weekend. Help me get used to the altitude:D

pgibson
08-04-2009, 20:19
Cool :) That sounds like a good plan. I have a freind that I am trying to get into hanging that says he wants to hunt so we could still get a hunt group orginized for those that want to hang around for that and a long weekend HF group hang/?hike? My philosophy has always been better to be in the woods than not, so what ever this actualy turns into, as long as we could get out and have a good time, I will have a smile on my face.

Paul

plowhorse
08-04-2009, 20:38
sounds like a plan

pgibson
08-20-2009, 15:09
Hey guys I was flipping through the latest Backpacker mag in Wallymart a few days ago while waiting for the wife to find something :mellow: And I came across this trail wright up.

http://bp2.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip.aspx?tripId=442093

Could be a good area to check out. I have been close to there but not to the actual trail it self - within a few miles of there. It is a nice area and we would go through the Sawtooths to get to it so we could do a night of hanging and maybe a good day hike in that area, then continue on up further into the wilderness area that the article talks about. And don't wory to much about the wolf's, they taste like chicken. ;):lol:;) But really the sound of hanging near the hot springs might be a good bonus.

Any thoughts?

Paul

plowhorse
08-20-2009, 18:25
paul it's funny, that's the area I was looking at going hunting in when I was planning my trip earlier. the hot springs could be a great area to have the hangout/feast for the weekend gathering. I find it funny how the author says that you have to go in 9 miles before suitable campsites are available. must be a ground dweller:lol::lol:

plowhorse
08-20-2009, 18:28
if anyone is worried about the grey wolves, I believe cannibal said he wouldbe interested in going (I can't remember which thread but I believe he posted that he was a direct decendant of the 2 families that donner summit was named for:scared::lol::lol:)

gRaFFiX
08-20-2009, 18:55
Next Oct??? I think I may pencil this in the Calendar so I wont forget.

pgibson
08-20-2009, 19:41
Sounds good guys, Plowhorse Glad that is where you are thinking, it is a nice area -what I have seen of it, lots to see and should be a good area for a hike and a few days out with out a supper hard to get to lake. The article in the mag had a couple pics and the lake at the end looks like a good spot to visit and may even have some fish.

Paul

Cannibal
08-21-2009, 09:57
if anyone is worried about the grey wolves, I believe cannibal said he wouldbe interested in going (I can't remember which thread but I believe he posted that he was a direct decendant of the 2 families that donner summit was named for:scared::lol::lol:)
Yep! That would be me. Don't think I'll be too concerned about wolves on this trip. Too many well armed folks will be in camp to give the wolves more than a passing thought. :)

pgibson
08-21-2009, 10:21
Yah they are not that big of a deal, I have seen one a couple times on hikes and drives through the mountains. And hey if all the legal fights get passed by there is supposeldy going to be wolf tags issued for over 200 this year. We got lots so everyone should plan on bringing a camera, if we head up in that area it is very likly we would see some.

Paul

gRaFFiX
08-23-2009, 13:13
Now that would be some shootin I could get behind Paul (The Lens Kind)

pgibson
10-14-2009, 10:16
Ok guys I figured I would do a bit of a conditions update. Seeing as how we are talking about the first week or so of October next year I wanted to post how this past week has been condition wise. To at least give a reference point when we get closer next summer and everyone is figuring out what gear to bring, BRING IT ALL! :LOL: So two and a half weeks ago it was 90 degrees down around my place, made it in the 70's in the mountains, perfect weather. But then it shifted, about the first temps droped, the rain started in and did not stop for 2 days strait. The foot hills that I can see from my house all had snow on the top 1000' feet and the real mountains got a load. Here is a web cam slide show of the Sawtooths over the past 10 days. http://www.sawtoothcamera.com/dailyslideshow2.html

As you can see one day is overcast and snow, the next is sunny and then back again. Last year at this time we were still in full summer mode, I had planed to go camping very high a few days before Halloween. So the weather can be wide open, I would plan on being flexible with the gear you bring, and plan for lows even pushing the single digits. Boots would be better than trail runners, and so on.

Just figured I would throw that out so we have a benchmark point when we get closer. I can't wait for next year. :)

plowhorse
10-14-2009, 22:47
hey paul I know what you mean about the weather. I got home from oregon last night, after driving thru that storm. the weather changed from lows of 40-50 to lows of 20-30.

oldgringo
01-07-2010, 07:31
Bump.

For the new members.:)

pgibson
01-08-2010, 23:04
OldGringo's Bump has me dreaming of mountain trails and swinging in my hammock on a crisp fall night next to the lake. OOO and elk steak over the fire :D So I know this is still a long way off but how about a head count of even maybes. Last I figured (and that was a while ago- I think I had over 20- that counts a few that got in touch with me though my site not just members here. And like Dave said--sort of-- we have a lot of new members, a number of them are hunters so...

One of the big things with this hang that I want to get going with some planning is the logistics of getting people to the mountains and back to Boise for fights home. It's about a 3-3.5 hour drive to the area for the hang, most of that on 2 lane highway. And where I know that some will not stay for the "hunt" and some may only stay for a day or two hang and not the backpacking, coordinating getting people that are flying in to and from may take some planning. (tell me to shut up if I am over thinking) :)

That being said I am thinking I will rent or borrow or steal a truck for getting at least a few up, but I do plan to stay for the hole time and would rather not make a 6-8 hour loop to run folks to the airport mid week if I don't have to. But that is just a prefer rather than a your on your own.

Also I have been thinking about where to do the Backpacking and would like some input on it. There is a area that I Have been wanting to check out that would give you all a great sample of Idaho mountains but depending on route could be a decent hike.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2731/4258541620_5fe6899a37_o.jpg

The blue pin is the start stop, the red are the best areas for camps, between them there is a pretty good pass to go over, heading to the south it would be a slow climb then a big down hill to the southern dot. Traveling in that direction would be about a 6-7 mile day but more gradual climb the first day then the pass then all down hill and out to the blue pin from the southern. Going the other way--clockwise would be a harder first day to get to south pin and follow that up with only about 3 miles but a hard push up the pass, then a lighter but longer day out gradually dropping back to the blue pin. All told about 15-16 miles

Doing this in say 4 days with an off day at one of the lakes would not be to bad --I think. And we could do the feast first light hang - get together -Meet up- at the starting lake it is easy for any kind of car to get to and easy to find.

Here are a few pictures I have found of the area
http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/51b2e776-04f6-40e1-b71e-5c9717af8cda.jpg

From the pass
http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/99de9432-5b7a-4b7c-99ab-f9705d4dbeb2.jpg

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/b6e8cd55-b08c-436e-beda-5c0e0e1a8a72.jpg

El Capitan near Alice lake (by the south red Pin)
http://www.idahosummits.com/snowyside/images/elcap_from_trail2.jpg

None of these are my photos but I am planning to do a mid-late summer scout trip of this area looks good with everyone just to see how the trail and hanging conditions look good.

So after that, there are lots of options open just depending on how much more work/hiking or driving everyone wants to put in to the hunt. Plowhorse and I had talked above about hiking into another lake to the north of this area--20-30 miles drive-- to hunt. That area is a bit more remote but most cars could probably still make it fine to the trail head, it was about a 9 mile hike with 3 stream crossings and a hot spring about half way in. I still like this idea but that also makes for a lot of miles though some very rough terrain for one week, and the thought of what if we do get an elk or several--that is a long way to pack them out, even divided up. So the other thought would be to drive though some of the backcountry and hang-car camp, and day hike in to hunt. There are a number of routs that could be taken and many of them would lead to a thick hamburger and a cold beer. :D

But again I am up for what ever and will do anything I can on this end to make it a good time.

gargoyle
01-09-2010, 04:15
Any fish in them thar lakes??

Okay, I'm a huge maybe, unless the economy (job) thing changes quick. Your not over-thinking the trip at all. I'm down if I can scrape up the cash. The hunt portion, I feel should be a car camp, hike in a litttle. Like you said, the long haul-out with an additional 800 lbs of elk meat, would not be that much fun. And for the folks going hunting...how to get the meat home?? A huge set of antlers won't fit in the car. ;)

Is altitude sickness a problem at those elevations? Something for the flatlanders to consider. Extra miles on the treadmill or stairclimber for those attending (personal recommendation)!!
I'm also guessing here, but cell phones are useless in that area??
So I'll throw some questions down here also.

Food? Is there a store nearby for restocking?
Transportation? To, from, and during the hang,hike,hunt.
Toilets? Cat-holes x 10-20? people is alot of poo.
Firepit? Firewood?
Expected temps? Cold at night? below freezing?
Bears?
Other hunters? I know locally that some fellas feel they own the woods, and would frown on some 'hippie-hangers' showing up to hunt 'their' turf.

Always good to plan ahead, and it'll be here faster than you think.
:drool::drool::drool: Man, them mountains are pretty.:boggle:

oldgringo
01-09-2010, 08:43
Paul, is the blue pin an established campground?

MacEntyre
01-09-2010, 09:23
I don't care what the itinerary is... I'm going to make this trip!

- MacEntyre

oldgringo
01-09-2010, 10:49
Camping in the western mountains is on the top of my bucket list.

My plan is to drive to Raton, NM, and then camp my way to Idaho, one National Forest at a time.

I will be there.

Cannibal
01-09-2010, 11:26
Yes, altitude sickness will be a concern at those altitudes; easily. I've seen people react down here at our measly 5300'. Go early, drink A TON of water, and don't overexert yourself the first 24 hours. As much as I hate the sound of it, booze/beer can make it worse too. :(

pgibson
01-09-2010, 11:39
Ok I'm going to try and answer as many questions as I can, some will just come down to the "Plan". :)

Any fish in them thar lakes??

Okay, I'm a huge maybe, unless the economy (job) thing changes quick. Your not over-thinking the trip at all. I'm down if I can scrape up the cash. The hunt portion, I feel should be a car camp, hike in a litttle. Like you said, the long haul-out with an additional 800 lbs of elk meat, would not be that much fun. And for the folks going hunting...how to get the meat home?? A huge set of antlers won't fit in the car. ;)

Is altitude sickness a problem at those elevations? Something for the flatlanders to consider. Extra miles on the treadmill or stairclimber for those attending (personal recommendation)!!
I'm also guessing here, but cell phones are useless in that area??
So I'll throw some questions down here also.

Food? Is there a store nearby for restocking?
Transportation? To, from, and during the hang,hike,hunt.
Toilets? Cat-holes x 10-20? people is alot of poo.
Firepit? Firewood?
Expected temps? Cold at night? below freezing?
Bears?
Other hunters? I know locally that some fellas feel they own the woods, and would frown on some 'hippie-hangers' showing up to hunt 'their' turf.

Always good to plan ahead, and it'll be here faster than you think.
:drool::drool::drool: Man, them mountains are pretty.:boggle:

#1: Fish
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2523/3691309785_1362a67dfc_b.jpg

#$@* Yah we got fish.

Getting the meat home is a big one and :confused: I am thinking ice chests and lots of dry ice but :confused:

Altitude sickness should not be an issue but it is a good bit higher than MI, NC, OK, and some of the other places, The blue dot--base camp- yes an established camp OG- is at 7000 foot and the pass is tops out at about 9400. Most people don't have much issue with elevation till 10000, and that can take time to bug most folks. But yes getting in shape will help and a day or two at gradual steps up will help to.

Cell service will be spotty as the absolute best. I usually leave mine in the car when in the mountains, 99% of the time it will do no good and would be faster to hike out and find help if the need came up than to wonder in circles trying to get a signal.

Stores--Yes there is a small town about 15 miles north - Stanley - that has a gas station, general store, convince store- there are a couple of restaurants, and a handful of other shops and what not. The store has a small selection of gear-basic tackle, maybe some ammo, and other basics--don't count on any serious resupply of major items though, and expect premium prices. As much as possible NEED TO HAVE stuff should be grabbed in Boise or Mountain Home--where I am at. Gear, ammo, and the likes should come out of Boise--we will drive though Sun Valley, there are some bigger stores, and a few gear shops but it is very over priced generally speaking. But yes there are some options for food and gear and beer.

Transportation: Drive in by car or truck or bus, :D I know some are planning to drive them selves, for them we just pick a spot to meet up at and a time. Figure that out as we get closer. For the folks flying or other, that is why I plan to get a truck, thinking crew cab so we can get 3-4 folks in and gear in the back. I am about 45 minutes from Boise and can plan on picking up at the airport or what ever. But if a lot of folks fly in we may want to have more than one rental--I have a guy that got some gear this fall that said he would come with his sons and a friend and they would rent a car for them selves. But if some of the folks that are driving them selves could help with shuttling to that would be a big help, and may or may not be necessary.

Toilets are available at the established campgrounds, and I have seen one pit shed at one lake, not sure if there are any at these lakes but general rule is pick a barring and say thata way is the cat hole zone.

Fire--We will have to see the regulations for the year but some years with high fire danger they say no open fires, often if that happens it is lifted by fall as the danger drops. But the established CG will have a pit and maybe wood stocked, the backcountry will have rock rings and gather downed wood as we please.

Temp wise plan for freezing maybe even lower, normal backpacking season up there is july - september, so most of the hike should be ours alone. But I have had snow in August. better to over pack and leave gear with the cars than to be cold or have to go to.....Ground :scared: Winter tarps may not be a bad idea....

Bears, I don't even think about them in this area, heck they are not really an issue at all in most of the state. I have only bear bagged on one trip ever, chipmunks and mice tend to be the bigger issue. They can be a persistent issue at getting into gear for food. Seen them eat through a tent for a granola bar rapper, and a brand new golite pack for a bag of flower. Plan to hang food at least a couple feet up and out from trees. I have slept with my pack at my feet though and been ok. In this area we will be lucky to see much wildlife at all though as there is so much hiker traffic in the summer that most wild life just stay to them selves. The hike is for the scenery more than anything.

As to other hunters-- in the hike area, they should not be a issue--I think--Still might plan to have a orange hat or bandana or something on you or you pack. Like I said this area dose not have the concentrations of wildlife that you would find just a couple miles away. Moving on to the hunt, we may spend some time driving around looking for an area to camp. Yah some folks take up claim to a spot figuring they own it. Not everyone is like that though and I think we could find some where to set up. And there is a lot of state. Like I said we have a number of options to drive -road hunt as we make our way from camp area to camp area.

gargoyle
01-09-2010, 13:04
Umm, who's the sexy fishin' guy??;):D

pgibson
01-09-2010, 13:09
Umm, who's the sexy fishin' guy??;):D

Some moron that used to be a friend I was the photog

pgibson
01-09-2010, 21:28
Found a bit better map to show some more detail. So first off here it a overview of most of the south half of ID, Boise-Mt Home (where I am at now) and Stanley are marked as well the yellow box is the hike area I am planing and the area from the photos above and the detail map below it.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4006/4260503371_94893d2cd8_o.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4063/4261266650_beb532744a_o.jpg

And a few other shots of the area--Just to set the hook :lol:

Toxaway lake
http://bobrat.weblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Resizeofsawtooths2012.jpg

Twin Lakes
http://bobrat.weblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Resizeofsawtooths2055.jpg

Alice Lake
http://bobrat.weblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Resizeofsawtooths2059.jpg

pgibson
01-11-2010, 12:04
O and I will through this out for any non hunters /// any one that may not be able to make it in the fall. You are welcome to come on up in the summer for the scouting trip I plan to make to this area. I plan on doing a long weekend--may be during the week-- to see what it looks like, make sure there is plenty of hanging spots for a big group, and just get out. I will post an invite for that when we get a bit closer and I can nail down the dates. Should be late July or early to mid August, just depends on the snow load we get this year and when the weather is nice.

MacEntyre
01-11-2010, 12:21
I forgot if anyone posted anything about Idaho non-resident license fees... looked it up and was disappointed to find that the license plus one tag in one zone puts it close to $600, whether you harvest an animal or not. That's a lot! After all, I've got to put boots on the baby's feet. What's the likelihood of success, Paul?

- MacEntyre

pgibson
01-11-2010, 12:46
I would say better than 50% but hunting is called hunting rather than stop shoot pick up meat.

attrezzo
01-11-2010, 13:43
If I could only convince my wife that I needed to spend $1000 bucks (trip, tag, etc) to maybe get an elk.

She's in medical school... so one day. One day... But right now I'm the sugar daddy so oddly, I have to spend money according to her rules. Lets be honest, that won't change one bit will it?

I'd love to come, I hope there are more plans like this in the future though as I don't see how I could convince my wife that this is a good idea.

*edit* I've read the rest of the post and I'll find a way by god. I'm still in the maybe category but this kind of stuff comes up only a few times in a man's life (go halfway across the country to spend time in beautiful wilderness). If I manage to find a way to make it I'll be flying in.

What do you say about allowing people to mailing their gear to you ahead of time? Sure a hell beats the checked baggage rules and with tracking, insurance and delivery you can be sure the stuff made it there before you do. It would sure ruin a trip to lose your gear on a flight.

Anyhow would that be an option.

MacEntyre
01-11-2010, 14:40
...hunting is called hunting rather than stop shoot pick up meat.
Non-resident hunting in Idaho is called a rich man's sport!

I'll decide how rich I am sometime early next fall, hopefully after I shoot arrows into a couple of NC deer. :rolleyes:

pgibson
01-11-2010, 23:00
Yup, Big game hunting is big business out here. And the state want there share, heck recreational tourism is the #1 business in the state.

Quick disclaimer as I don't want any bad-hurt feeling or crying --- I am not a hunting guide, I make not assertions that anybody that comes will even see a deer-elk-rabbit-squirrel-wolf-cougar-or any other animal let alone be assured of a chance to shoot at any afore mentioned woodland creatures. The hunting thing is purely an add on to the greater goal-fun of having a big ol hammock hang in the pine woods of Idaho. :D Take that as you will, hope some will come for both but if it is more of a hang-hike feast than a hang hike feast hunt elk feast then so be it.

I plan to have a great time any way it goes :D

MacEntyre
01-11-2010, 23:02
No worries, Paul!

I'll probably go hunting with my camera, and help you dress what you kill. OTOH, I may be a rich man by then... you never know!

Looking forward to it almost as much as Big Bend... only because March is closer!

- MacEntyre

attrezzo
01-15-2010, 09:16
I just read this interesting article!

Pack a gun to protect your valuables from getting lost...

http://lifehacker.com/5448014/pack-a-gun-to-protect-valuables-from-airline-theft-or-loss?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+lifehacker%2Ffull+%28Lifehack er%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

It describes how TSA takes extra, super special care of your bags when you carry a gun. I figured even for those that are just going to Idaho to hang, it might be worth a cheap starter gun just to make sure all of your essentials make it there if you're going to check baggage.

Good tip!

oldgringo
02-14-2010, 16:19
Paul, in attempting to buy a map of the Sawtooth NF, I discovered that there are two regions...which one covers the Pettit Lake area?

pgibson
02-14-2010, 16:21
Got a link to them Dave? It should be the southern map, but depends on the split. The Sawtooth National Rec Area stretches over several ranges including the Bolders, White Clouds, and the Sawtooths.

oldgringo
02-14-2010, 17:13
http://mapstore.utah.gov/forestmp.htm

I'm guessing it's the Ketchum Ranger District, but can't be sure.

While we're on the topic, what topo(s) cover the area?

MacEntyre
02-14-2010, 18:18
Please post what you find... I'd like to study some maps, too!

- MacEntyre

pgibson
02-14-2010, 18:33
Yah dave in that Map set the Ketchum district should be the area that you would want. Minidoka --the other-- covers the south half of the Sawtooth National Forest. Those maps will give a very large area of coverage That will almost reach to my house and north from there quite a ways. For good topos up close the best resource is some free maps that can be down loaded for viewing on the computer. I can walk you guys through that if you want. It takes 2 downloads, both free but both fairly large files, the maps them selves are about a gig if I remember right, but better detail than anything in print, more up to date, and shows the trails and covers the entire state.

oldgringo
02-14-2010, 18:54
Thanks, Paul.

Here's what I'm finding: for reasons only a guvmint bureaucrat can fathom, this is in the Sawtooth NF, but it isn't. Everybody got that? Head fake.

It's the Sawtooth National Recreation Area (NRA), and is administered seperately. Not by the Ketchum Ranger District, but by SNRA (also in Ketchum). We're writing the checks for this, folks.

MacEntyre
02-14-2010, 18:58
We're writing the checks for this, folks.
We're also paying for all the recent radio ads where the feds are telling us to get into the forest. It's a stimulus, ya know?

bigred72
02-14-2010, 19:05
I'm a definite maybe....of course depending on the actual dates.. I am hitting the Uninta's over Labor day and a scout week long the first week of August by the Wind Rivers in southern Wyoming.

pgibson
02-14-2010, 19:11
Looking more at how they have started splitting control over the SNRA, SNF I want to double check and go look at some of the maps before any one order any if you have not yet. I can still get any one set up with maps to look at in the mean time.

pgibson
02-14-2010, 19:53
Here you go guys, Download both of these programs and you will have all of Idaho in full detail topo maps.

First Garmin Base camp (http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/us/onthetrail/basecamp)

Then GPS File Depot Idaho Topo (http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/45/)

When you finish open Basecamp and on the top left switch to "Idaho Topo" from Global Base map. I can email any one some files with things like trails or points of interest to open in Basecamp as well that would be spots we can check out or what not.

X-Lem
02-14-2010, 20:00
FYI - map:
http://www.amazon.com/Sawtooth-Wilderness-Hikng-Map-Guide/dp/091574919X
which shows the area Paul has picked. Appears it was printed in 1994.

Book which describes the trails:
http://www.amazon.com/Trails-Sawtooth-White-Cloud-Mountains/dp/0966423356

I still have both of these from when my son and I did a hike in the Sawtooth area a few years ago.

pgibson
02-14-2010, 20:26
Those are both good options for reference, I looked at the Earthwalk map a couple months back and noticed that some trails are missing from the current edition, don't know if any we are looking at are or not, will have to check that out. The Book by Margaret is great, I have the 3rd edition. well a buddy has it, I lent it to him in May. Only thing to be aware of, and it is just perspective so no body get PO'ed. Is that Margaret is in her 70's I think, She has been hiking all over the state since she was a kid, but some times she says that a trail is easy, moderate, or difficult in her ratings and it is her perspective of that rating. I have been on a "Difficult" that I felt was a trail that I could jog. Again it is all perspective so take it as that.

oldgringo
02-15-2010, 04:42
Here's the dope on the Pettit Lake camping area. I am planning to stay at the base camp, so there will be a modicum of security for vehicles and gear left there by those who are backpacking.

CAMPGROUND NAME: Pettit Lake

VISIT DATE: 08/16/2001

UPDATE DATE: 3/20/2007

STATE: Idaho

REGION: Intermountain

RANGER DISTRICT: Sawtooth National Recreation Area

NEAREST CITY/TOWN: Stanley

RESERVATIONS: No

DIRECTIONS:
In Stanley, ID, at the intersection of State Rts. 21 and 75, take
Rt. 75 south 18.1 miles to Pettit Lake sign. Turn right after
sign onto a dirt road and go 1.6 miles to a "T" intersection.
Turn right at intersection and go 0.4 miles to campground.

GENERAL COMMENTS:
The elevation is 7,000 ft.

This campground is one of 37 in the Sawtooth National Recreation
Area (SNRA). It is a single loop in a stand of Lodgepole pine
between Pettit Lake and Tin Cup Hiker Trail head. None of the camp
sites are on the lake, but some have a partial view. The camp
sites are close together with no understory or middlestory
providing poor privacy. Gas and groceries are available in
Obsidian, ID, 14 miles north of campground on State Rt. 75.

SEASONS
Open Seasonal: Yes
Open All Year: Yes

Seasonal Comment:
Services provided Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day.

RATE AND MAXIMUM STAY PERMITTED
Rate: $8 per day - single
$16 per day - double
Maximum Stay Permitted (days): 10

CAMPGROUND SITE CONFIGURATION
No. RV Sites: 0
No. Tent Sites: 0
No. Combined Sites (Tent or RV): 12

Total Sites: 12

Tent Pads: No
Group Tent Sites: Yes
Open Sites: No
Wooded Sites: Yes

No. Tables on Sites: 12
No. Grilles on Sites: 12

RV INFORMATION
Hookups: None
Group RV Sites: Yes
No. RV Pull Throughs: 0
Waste Station: No
Average Parking Apron Size: 16' X 48'

Comments:
The parking aprons are gravel. Three RV waste stations
with potable water are available, for a fee. One is south
of Stanley, ID on State Rt. 75 at the SNRA - Stanley
Ranger District Office. Another is at Smiley Creek
Restaurant/Gas Station on Hwy 75. The third is 6.1
miles north of Ketchum, ID off State Rt. 75 at the SNRA
Visitors Center.

FACILITIES
Vaults: Yes
Flush Toilets: No
Hot Showers: No
Wheelchair Friendly Toilets: Yes

Public Phone: No
Playground: No
No. Water Spigots (non-site): 1
No. Threaded: 0

Comments:
The water spigot is a hand pump.

WATER SPORTS
Lake: Yes
Swimming (provided): No
Sailing: No
Boat Ramp: Yes
Boat Carry Down Access: No
Power Boating: Yes
Boating (no power): Yes
Water Skiing: No
Rafting (whitewater): No
Kayaking (whitewater): No

Comments:
Pettit Lake is 395 acres. The boat ramp is located on the lake's
south shore, 0.5 miles from campground.

Over 1,000 lakes are in the SNRA, a few of which are large enough
to accommodate most water sports. Contact an SNRA Ranger
District Office for additional information.

HIKING
Tin Cup Trail (foot) - 16 miles

There are many hiking trails throughout the SNRA including those
within the Sawtooth Wilderness. Contact an SNRA Ranger District
Office for additional information.

FISHING
Rainbow, Brook, and Mackinaw trout

oldgringo
02-15-2010, 05:14
Looking more at how they have started splitting control over the SNRA, SNF I want to double check and go look at some of the maps before any one order any if you have not yet. I can still get any one set up with maps to look at in the mean time.

The map that I linked specifically includes SNRA...we should be good to go with that, although as you pointed out, it covers a huge area.

I like maps. They help me dream.:)

MacEntyre
02-15-2010, 06:22
...there will be a modicum of security...
Which lever?

As you've said, tradition matters!

pgibson
02-15-2010, 11:32
Something tells me Dave is ready to go :D Do you have your gear packed? :lol:

The campground fees are for overnight says, but there is trail head parking as well that is free. The directions from Stanley is from the other direction than we will likely come in from. But Stanley is the closest option for food,gas,lodging if the need should arise, med care, restaurants, what not. Obsidian and Sawtooth City are both closer but are only mountain gas stations where a 8 oz bag of cheetos will run 5.99 so not the best for resupply.

Dave, also if you want I can give you some suggestions for day trips from basecamp, there are some ghost towns about an hours drive that are well worth the drive and other things to see if you want more than watching the lake.

oldgringo
02-15-2010, 11:36
It's been a long winter.;)

pgibson
02-15-2010, 11:38
I here that! I am ready for summer.

oldgringo
02-25-2010, 16:40
Okay...free from the NRA Headquarters, a packet of goodies that included an ID highway map.

For those that like the security that only a USGS quad can provide, Snowyside Peak is the one you need. The campground at Pettit Lake is just off the quad by a few hundred feet. It's on the Alturus Lake quad, if you feel the need.

pgibson
03-25-2010, 11:05
Stopped at REI to use my messily little dividend the other day and when a head and used the Nat Geo Map printer to print out a copy of the hike area topo. Looks real good and fits the entire loop in on one page. Water proof and tear resistant paper so it should hold up very well. They run $9.95 but if any one coming to the hang wants a copy I can print them next time by REI and send it to you.

jbehun
03-28-2010, 14:48
This sounds freak'in awesome, My friends and I have been thinking about doing a hunt in around this same area. This would be a great way to scout for that trip. How many days are you planning to be out?

pgibson
03-28-2010, 15:00
6-10 days for me, planning on 2-4 days of hike, just depends on how everyone like's/handles the elevation. Then I am thinking about a few days of driving/camping/hunting/day hiking, then rinse and repeat. Maybe end up in one of the little mountain towns and have a brew and a steak/burger. But folks can come and go as their schedule would allow, I know some will only be able to stay for a few days.

jbehun
03-28-2010, 15:14
Well pencil me in... I would be good for 5 maybe 6 days. Your thinking early October right?

pgibson
03-28-2010, 15:18
Last week of Sept-first week in October is the basic thought right now, the hunt regs for 10 big game are still not out in print so that may through the days one way or the other a small bit and may decide where we do any hunting but right now I am pretty flexible and think that is the basic time frame to plan on. As we get a bit closer we can firm up dates as everyone gets their schedules arranged and fights payed for.

trail_junkie
03-28-2010, 16:44
I'm in, and would be willing to drive if anyone on the Front Range in CO. wants to carpool. It'll be my son and I, so I'll have room for couple of others.

pgibson
03-28-2010, 17:18
Very Cool Trail Junkie, be sure to subscribe to this thread, as we get closer we will have lots of stuff to sort out and your offer to help with carpool will be a big help I am sure.

MacEntyre
03-28-2010, 17:27
Where should I fly into?

pgibson
03-28-2010, 17:29
Boise, airport is abbreviated BOI

pgibson
04-30-2010, 23:24
Well was wandering the walmart and spotted the 2010 hunt regs are finaly out so grabed them and have been looking through to see when things open up and well they shuffled stuff a bunch from last year. So First $$$$ non resident is still up there in cost License is $145.75 Deer tag is $301.75 Elk Tag is $416.75 Wolf is only $186.00 The other thing of note is that other than archery most of the hunt zones do not open until at least the 10th of October. That may be pushing on the weather for a hike. So with those 2 things in mind--cost and time frame-- who is for sure planning still on hunting? If most folks are thinking the hunting is cost and or time prohibitive I would just as soon move this up a little to mid September rather than mid October so that we have a much better chance of great weather and not so cool but just late enough to miss all the summer time vacationers. I don't want to cut any one out that would like to do the hunt, I know that some folks were planning on that as the main reason to come, but at the same time I don't want to cut some out that are not prepared for the cold that we would be seeing more in mid October. So give me some input so we can start getting plans more in line. :D

optimator
04-30-2010, 23:48
I'll pass on the hunt, but I'm still in for the trip!

MacEntyre
05-01-2010, 05:57
I can't afford to hunt, but if you would lock the date, I will buy an airline ticket to BOI! Thank you, Paul!

- MacEntyre

pgibson
05-01-2010, 10:33
OK so looking at the calendar and thought we should throw out what dates are going to work and any conflicts. So I have the last weekend in August locked up, labor day is the 6th and folks will still be in the hills for it. But that is all I have in September as of now so let me know what dates would work best--or not work and I will start filling in the calendar as we can narrow it down. For flying I think that flights are a bit cheaper mid week rather than on the weekends so what about the 8th through the ???

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4066/4567760203_7eabe4d462.jpg

oldgringo
05-01-2010, 16:41
Early September is the perfect time not to be in Indian Territory. I like this change.:)

pgibson
05-01-2010, 21:14
So here is what I am thinking sounds like fun to me but I always dream big on trips :)

Day 1 meet up at the campground in the Sawtooths. Meat er a meet and greet, eat and enjoy the fire. I will pick up any that I can at the air port in the am or the night before --we will have to see when any one flying would get here.

Day 2 -3-4-5?????? hike in the Sawtooths for any one interested. Trail listed before on top of list but other options abound.

Arrive back at base camp and drive up to Stanley for lunch or dinner. Provided there is interest/enough time I am thinking about resupplying in Stanley (ie: stock up on brew) driving about 15 miles (approx) up to the Bear valley trail head and hike 3 easy miles into the hot springs and hang camp soak and relax after the more grueling hike. Hang there for 1 night get a morning soak and breakfast and meander on out and go from there.

My schedule is pretty flexible :D so I am good with being out for as many days as anyone else wants to be out for. What that does mean though is that if I am giving a ride to any fliers we need to be fairly firm with arrival and departure times or they need to plan on a rental car. I am good with what ever will work but at the same time were I am playing host I don't want to bail 2 days earlier than anyone that drove and wants to stay and do anything--hike, camp, fish, what ever.

Here is a shot of the trail into the hot springs.
http://www.idahohotsprings.com/destinations/bear_valley/08-20-02_bv-hs_trail.jpg

And one of the springs
http://images.travelpod.com/users/utna/1.1257867882.other-hot-spring-pools.jpg

The springs are along a small river
http://www.idahohotsprings.com/destinations/bear_valley/2005/072505b.jpg

Trooper
05-01-2010, 21:21
I'd be interested if we were talking Fall of 2011.

pgibson
05-01-2010, 21:24
I'd be interested if we were talking Fall of 2011.

Easy enough to make it an annual hang :D And I am flexible so anytime works for me.

Kallorne
05-01-2010, 21:28
i'd definitely be up for it in september-october, my favorite time of year. i could prolly offer a ride from spokane to anyone flying in, maybe cheaper than boise for airfare

pgibson
05-01-2010, 21:32
Cool! :thumbup: and yah check Spokane and maybe SLC for airfare prices, being bigger SLC may be less but adds another 4-5 hours to the drive.

Kallorne
05-01-2010, 21:42
i think your plan for the sawtooth's would be brilliant... oh and i'd probably come down via missoula and salmon because i know those roads well so another airport to add to the menu, though i doubt missoula will be cheap.

pgibson
05-01-2010, 21:47
That would be the fasted and easiest route. :D The only other options are way out of the way or through the back roads once down to Cascade but that would be hours longer than through Salmon.

X-Lem
05-02-2010, 06:56
It's an 8 hour drive but this hang is starting to sound way too good to pass up. Put me down as a strong 'maybe'. Coming from SE Washington I'd be driving through Boise and could assist with airport pickup and delivery.

I could also carpool with anyone driving thru Walla Walla or Pendleton. I have a safe place to leave a car parked at either location.

Do you know what the road conditions are to the proposed base camps? Need the higher clearance of a pickup? or is a car safe to make it without tearing the bumpers off?

sir_n0thing
05-02-2010, 07:32
How'd I miss this thread until now? Wow does this sound like a fun trip!!! The chances of me being able to attend are slim though, as October is the general time frame when we usually fly down to Texas to visit my family.... flying ain't cheap anymore!
If there is any way humanly possible to make it though, I'd do it, in the world of Elk hunts, this one isn't really that expensive. My buddy spends over $2k every year to go shoot an elk in Colorado.

MacEntyre
05-02-2010, 08:57
Sir Nothing, it has been changed to September, after labor day, specific weekend to be determined.

sir_n0thing
05-02-2010, 09:22
Sir Nothing, it has been changed to September, after labor day, specific weekend to be determined.

Still an elk hunt though? I just noticed that it's mentioned on the front page of the AHE site :)

MacEntyre
05-02-2010, 09:55
Still an elk hunt though?
No out of state takers, as far as I know. Perhaps someone has told Paul...

pgibson
05-02-2010, 10:23
It's an 8 hour drive but this hang is starting to sound way too good to pass up. Put me down as a strong 'maybe'. Coming from SE Washington I'd be driving through Boise and could assist with airport pickup and delivery.

I could also carpool with anyone driving thru Walla Walla or Pendleton. I have a safe place to leave a car parked at either location.

Do you know what the road conditions are to the proposed base camps? Need the higher clearance of a pickup? or is a car safe to make it without tearing the bumpers off?

Cars are fine, the roads in a 98% paved with at most a couple of miles of well maintained dirt roads. Should be able to drive just about anything from a mini copper on up into these trails.

Still an elk hunt though? I just noticed that it's mentioned on the front page of the AHE site :)

I would still like to do the hunt thing but it is seaming like it would be prohibitive for many folks, either on cost and on timing. More folks have been interested in the hiking than the hunting when it gets right down to it so things are seeming to shift. And with the hunting regs coming out --Finally-- this week most every hunting unit does not open until at least mid October that may be to late to be able to get the hike in before the snow is waist deep in the Sawtooths.

sir_n0thing
05-02-2010, 10:37
oki doki.... if I am able to swing it, I'd still really enjoy visiting that area for a hang, hunt or no hunt! :) It's a long shot, but not impossible. I'll watch this thread over the next coupe months!

pgibson
05-02-2010, 10:38
Would be glad to have you :D

jbehun
05-03-2010, 11:59
I am still in ,those dates will work for me and my neighbor. joe

Kallorne
05-04-2010, 11:15
well fiance can't make it as she starts her student teaching but i'll bloody well make it on my own... the 8th to the ??? (15th?) would be spectacular, that would give me about a 3 week vacation. i've got a week long deal above lake chelan the last week of august and whatever strikes my fancy for labor day, followed by the sawtooth! so just me and 4 empty seats if anyone needs a lift on my route

pgibson
05-04-2010, 11:26
8th-15th works for me, that would give us a lot of time to hike and hang and maybe meander around a little to another spot or just have an long couple days at the spring. Sounds good to me :D

Lets set it then and say that we plan for the meet up on the 8th of September and anyone that can stay for a week is welcome to.

X-Lem
05-05-2010, 00:12
Sept. 8th to 15th date range works for me so far. I'm still a strong 'maybe'. Depends on if I have enough vacation days left for the year.

pgibson
05-08-2010, 21:13
Think I found the spot for next years hang :D

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/18412397.jpg

Pitch
05-08-2010, 21:29
Nicee... Where is that pic at? Fiancee and I are planning on moving NE of Spokane next year... Wish I could make this event - but the miles look kinda far far away =)

mbiraman
05-08-2010, 21:48
Nicee... Where is that pic at? Fiancee and I are planning on moving NE of Spokane next year... Wish I could make this event - but the miles look kinda far far away =)

Make sure when you get settled to come up to the West Kootenays, Nelson and the Kootenay lake loop.

Scottybdiving
05-08-2010, 21:56
Is this in Sawtooth?

pgibson
05-08-2010, 22:32
Nicee... Where is that pic at?

Is this in Sawtooth?

That is Ship Island Lake in the Big Horn Crag area of the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness. Man is that a mouth full. :) It is about 100% more remote than the Sawtooths, the fishing is supposed to be incredible in all of the 10-15 lakes on the way into this one, and is only 11 miles of extreme hiking one way. To get in there everyone that would want to come needs to start training now. Have to go over multiple passes that top our around 9000 feet or better. Here is what part of the topo looks like. http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4069/4590977590_d8943731cd_o.jpg

gargoyle
05-09-2010, 06:41
Pgib..that picture is just mean.:D I want to go, thats an incredible looking location!
Nice HUGE pic too.

MacEntyre
05-09-2010, 09:33
Paul's pictures are a big reason that I intend to be there!

jbehun
05-09-2010, 12:03
Me too!!! I sure hope I don't get lost and have to stay there forever....

Boggled
05-11-2010, 17:52
I may have to skip a few days of school/work for this! I'm planning on some high uintah camping some time around there but being from Logan, I'd be silly not to drive the 4 hours to this! Count me as a 90% in, assuming dates work out ok.

pgibson
05-11-2010, 17:55
I may have to skip a few days of school/work for this! I'm planning on some high uintah camping some time around there but being from Logan, I'd be silly not to drive the 4 hours to this! Count me as a 90% in, assuming dates work out ok.

Would love to have you come up, it's not that far and not to bad of drive, you could head out after school and still make dinner first night :)

gargoyle
05-11-2010, 17:58
Paul's pictures are a big reason that I intend to be there!

Mac, this is the actual photo, before Paul does his airbrush magic.
http://whrefresh.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/potato_field.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:;)

pgibson
05-11-2010, 17:59
MMMMMMMM Taters. :D

jbehun
05-18-2010, 16:41
Booked flight today, There will be 2 of us arriving on wednesday meeting up with everyone at the trailhead. joe

pgibson
05-18-2010, 17:43
Booked flight today, There will be 2 of us arriving on wednesday meeting up with everyone at the trailhead. joe

Very Cool Joe. :thumbup: Depending on timing we could all drive up together for any one coming in from Boise or driving in from the west.

pgibson
05-19-2010, 19:48
I am thinking about bringing a small grill for the campground night. Burgers, brats, dogs, steak, salmon? Sound good? I am 1/2 way figuring on hitting the store in Boise after picking up any flyrs that want to ride rather than rent. So I could get anything that everyone wants, but it will be a smaller grill so it will be a take turns thing.

Kallorne
05-19-2010, 19:55
i have a smaller charcoal grill i can bring along as well if there's enough people to justify a second one.. do we have any head count paul?

pgibson
05-19-2010, 20:26
Sounds like a good idea to have a second if you can fit it in.

Head count though would not be a bad idea.

1 Me for sure--maybe drag a friend or two out but not likely
2 jbehun
3 jbehuns guest
4 MacEntyre
5 OldGringo
6 Kallorne
7 Optimator

Maybe's--from throughout this thread
Gargoyle
Plowhorse
Cannibal
Fin
Graffix
Roadtorque
attrezzo
bigred72
dand76
trail junkie
sir n0thing
boggled

a few others have said maybe to me in PM's and emails but that is the for sure list. I know that lost will still change in the next 3 months but we are getting closer :D

Mkrzyski
05-20-2010, 11:19
where is the nearest airport?

pgibson
05-20-2010, 11:21
where is the nearest airport?

Boise would be the closest major airport. But Spokane and Salt Lake City are both within 4-5 hours drive. Boise to the trail head is 3-3.5 hours drive any of 3 routes all on pavement.

Hailey Air port is much closer but does little to no commercial traffic, nearly all private jets going into Sun Valley.

pgibson
05-20-2010, 15:08
I will also bring my Outback Oven for the first nights feast. So I will get a big bunch of something to bake up for desert. Any preferences on what to bring? Cinnamon Rolls work well, as does pizza and most breads--brownies muffins. Cookies are ok but can be easy to burn. I will also bring stuff to make a quiche for in the morning.

Kallorne
05-23-2010, 02:13
i realize we're still months out but i can no longer resist asking directions to the trailhead. how about from the nearest town on google maps?

pgibson
05-23-2010, 10:48
Been doing a lot of thinking on this as well. And been looking at some ideas for any one that is coming out. So first off for google maps we are going to Pettit Lake, it will come up on a G-Maps search. But is is 21 miles south of Stanley. For those driving in from Boise there are 3 routes avaialbe to take to get to Pettit Lake, all of them beautiful. And all of them take 3.5-4 hours roughly. 2 things that I can do to help out any one that wants it. I was able to find a very good state map that has all of the highways, lakes and even both campgrounds on it (at Pettit and the hot springs trail head) any one that want one of them with the possible routs to and from highlighted with the trail heads marked let me know and I will ship one out for what they cost me. I also had a copy of the topo of the hike out of Pettit printed and will do more copies or tell you just what to print if you want that. This trail is a loop hike starting at and ending at Pettit. Basic run down is night one meet up at Pettit (or anyone coming in from west or flying to Boise I can meet you there and caravan to Pettit) Have feast. Get up Thursday morning have breakfast and hit the trail headed SW to Alice lake/Twin Lakes. Friday head over Snowyside Pass to Toxaway lake. Saturday hike to Farley lake or out to Pettit depending on groups feeling. Sunday Hike out or already be out. Day we get out at Pettit, head into Stanley for Resupply and breakfast lunch or dinner depending on time of day. Drive 20 miles north west of Stanley to Fir creek campground and either hike into hot springs if early enough in the day or hang and hike to hot springs the following day.

So that is what I am thinking for the plan right now, but I am flexible and am open to suggestions an any input anybody has.

oldgringo
05-23-2010, 11:14
Here's part of the text of a PM that I sent to MacEntyre last winter:

"I called the HQ of the Sawtooth NRA, and they sent me a packet (free!) that included an ID state highway map, a map showing all of the hiking trails in the Sawtooth, ID fishing regs, and a bunch of other stuff.

The NFS map of the Sawtooth (Ketchum Ranger District) was $10 from www.nationalforeststore.com. It's very good, but HUGE, and still lacks the detail you'd want for hiking.

I got two topos from
http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/b2c/s...itrex_prd)/.do
Seems like they were ~$7.50 each. The quads are Alturus Lake and Snowyside Peak. I *think* they cover the entire trail that Paul plans to hike, but there's no way for me to be sure. 5-6 miles west of Pettit Lake is covered.

So, the minimum...ID Highway map, and the quads."

Later, I was able to confirm that the Snowside Peak covers almost all of the loop...all that's missing is the east end of Pettit Lake, where the campground is located.

Kallorne
05-23-2010, 11:32
Been doing a lot of thinking on this as well. And been looking at some ideas for any one that is coming out. So first off for google maps we are going to Pettit Lake, it will come up on a G-Maps search. But is is 21 miles south of Stanley. For those driving in from Boise there are 3 routes avaialbe to take to get to Pettit Lake, all of them beautiful. And all of them take 3.5-4 hours roughly. 2 things that I can do to help out any one that wants it. I was able to find a very good state map that has all of the highways, lakes and even both campgrounds on it (at Pettit and the hot springs trail head) any one that want one of them with the possible routs to and from highlighted with the trail heads marked let me know and I will ship one out for what they cost me. I also had a copy of the topo of the hike out of Pettit printed and will do more copies or tell you just what to print if you want that. This trail is a loop hike starting at and ending at Pettit. Basic run down is night one meet up at Pettit (or anyone coming in from west or flying to Boise I can meet you there and caravan to Pettit) Have feast. Get up Thursday morning have breakfast and hit the trail headed SW to Alice lake/Twin Lakes. Friday head over Snowyside Pass to Toxaway lake. Saturday hike to Farley lake or out to Pettit depending on groups feeling. Sunday Hike out or already be out. Day we get out at Pettit, head into Stanley for Resupply and breakfast lunch or dinner depending on time of day. Drive 20 miles north west of Stanley to Fir creek campground and either hike into hot springs if early enough in the day or hang and hike to hot springs the following day.

So that is what I am thinking for the plan right now, but I am flexible and am open to suggestions an any input anybody has.

so long as there's blue moon and hot springs at the end of hike i'll hike anywhere. i have an idaho atlas buried in a box somewhere...so meeting up at pettit lake on the 8th, i'll be leaving here in the AM of the 8th if anyone's flying into spokane (GEG) or missoula and then i would expect to be on scene in late afternoon /early evening

jbehun
05-23-2010, 11:57
Paul your plan works great for me I will be leaving on monday so getting back to the traihead on Sunday works out great. joe

Scottybdiving
05-23-2010, 18:11
Man this trip sure has my interest. I will be there in June, but for a rafting trip out of Stanley. I found this trip report while doing some research. This author, does an outstanding job on his trip reports. This Report (http://www.kuresman.com/2009/Trip_Reports/Sawtooth_Traverse/Report_Sawtooth_Traverse.html) is from part of the same system of trails, just to whet your whistle.

Wa-Hangman
05-23-2010, 22:31
Got lost in thread. What are the proposed dates?:confused:

pgibson
05-24-2010, 09:52
Got lost in thread. What are the proposed dates?:confused:

Planning on meeting up on the Wednesday the 8th of September, hiking through Saturday or Sunday then up to the hot springs for an overnighter and then what ever from there.

pgibson
05-24-2010, 10:46
So been working on the maps a bit this weekend and figured I would post what I have.

So here is the custom map that I printed, like Oldgringo said the hike area is mostly in the north half of Snowyside quad. But it will overlap a bit into the quads just the the east and west. So I printed it horizontal and changed the scale to 1:30,750 to get all of the hike and surrounding ridge line in the frame.

Here is a close up of the quad layout.
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=430&pictureid=3341

And the full map as I printed it that gets all of the trail in.
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=430&pictureid=3342

And then here is the state map with the main routes.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=430&pictureid=3340

So Boise is on the far left. The green route is 45 minutes on the free way out of Boise to Mountain Home then hwy 20 for a little over an hour, it goes up some hills then tops out on the Camas prairie for a long drive across the high valley. At the intersection with Hwy 75 you turn north and go through the Sun Valley area, watch out for movie stars and politicians in the crosswalks as they ignore cars. Right after Sun Valley you will head up through winding hills and then go over Galean Summit with a pectacular view out across the sawtooth valley then just a few miles to the pettit lake turn off. This is my favorite route.

The Pink route out of Boise takes you up along the Payett river, turns at Banks to follow the South Fork for all most the entire way. It winds along high river canyons and pine forests.

At Lowman the Pink route and Blue route join. The Blue route leaves Boise on Hwy 21, is in the forest within a few miles of Boise. At about 40 miles you go through Idaho City which at it's peak was the biggest city west of St. Louis, had the biggest gold rush in American history, now it it a small quiet semi tourist town with 1 gas station and a couple small shops. From there you climb up and over a few small summits through forests until you drop down to the South fork of the payett river at Lowman. From this point the Pink and Blue Routes continue to follow the river for a number of miles until they start to climb up the south west flanks of the Sawtooths. The route climbs steeply for a number of miles before topping out on a nearly level valley filled with pine forest. After a good ways heading north in the valley the hwy makes a sudden hook to the south east at cape horn. This will take you into Stanley and the intersection with Hwy 75. Turn south and head about 20 miles to the Pettit lake turn off.

The Yellow route would be the best choice for any one driving in from the east. Follow the freeway out of Wyoming or Utah. At Twin Falls there is a single freeway exit with gas and food at the exit. Head north on Hwy 93, at the small town of Shoshone the Hwy turns into 75 follow it north through lava fields until it tops a small crest and drops into the east end of the camas prairie. In just a couple miles you will go through the intersection with Hwy 20, continue north through Sun Vally. and follow the remainder of the instructions for the green route.

In the Sawtooth valley, the large Red arrow with Orange highlight is for Pettit lake, the Orange above that is Stanley and the Orange to the west is the campground for the hot springs hike.

jbehun
05-26-2010, 14:52
Paul, Thank you very much for all the work your putting into this, I am really looking forward to getting out there to do some hiking. joe

pgibson
05-26-2010, 15:08
Paul, Thank you very much for all the work your putting into this, I am really looking forward to getting out there to do some hiking. joe

I can't wait my self :D If any body wants or needs any specifics on anything let me know. Best spots to stop for a burger, where to grab groceries, anything any body needs to know.

Kallorne
05-26-2010, 15:18
anything any body needs to know.

if you're traveling in a car at the speed of light and you turn on the headlights does anything happen?:confused:

anyway.... how long's the drive from salmon to pettit lake? i've only kept on going straight through challis on 93 then over to yellowstone.

looks like there's a ton of lakes up there. how's the fishing?

pgibson
05-26-2010, 15:25
if you're traveling in a car at the speed of light and you turn on the headlights does anything happen?:confused:

anyway.... how long's the drive from salmon to pettit lake? i've only kept on going straight through challis on 93 then over to yellowstone.

looks like there's a ton of lakes up there. how's the fishing?

What make is the car?:lol:

And From Salmon to Pettit looks like about 3 hours.

And see post #45 on the fishing. Out of state fishing licenses are not as bad a hunting but still up there, I can get the regs out and check latter this afternoon on the prices. But yah fishing can be very good at times.

pgibson
05-29-2010, 19:14
So seems like the in thing these days is a hang T-shirt. Of the folks coming to the hang how if any are seriously interested in one? I have a design kind of figured out a little bit and have someone better with graphics looking it over for improvements but would like an idea if there is some interest in having at least a few made.

One of the other things that lots of hangs are doing is raffles, thoughts? I have some gear to add to the pile if we do one but want to know again if there is interest and if so how would you all want it to be done? I would think first night out so that we could all play with any new toys on the trip. I think that some of the raffles have been a free giveaway and some are a small fee/ donation sort of deal. I am good with a buy a ticket and be assured of waling with something sort of deal, if we were to do that I would kick in a healthy couple of prizes and would hunt down more stuff from my suppliers and anyone else that I could get to donate/sell cheap, some decent gear. But again if there is not much intrest in that sort of stuff I don't want to push it.

oldgringo
05-30-2010, 06:55
Paul, that stuff is not important to me, and creates work for you. You've already done enough...relax and enjoy the hang.

jbehun
05-31-2010, 08:23
I'm with oldgringo you have done enough, relax and enjoy.

Kallorne
05-31-2010, 17:23
i think it's safe to say that we are all in it for a good hike and good company.

pgibson
06-01-2010, 09:45
Cool, Thanks for the input guys. I am so good with just getting some food, brew and my hiking shoes ready :D Can't wait for September.

pgibson
06-01-2010, 09:55
O and just checked the Regulations, Nonresident daily fishing license is $12.75 for the first day and $6.00 for each day added on when buying at time of purchase of the first day. So not to bad if anyone wants to do a bit of fishing at the lakes or on the river at the hot springs.

pgibson
06-24-2010, 18:04
Bump :D Only 2 months left :thumbup:

jbehun
06-24-2010, 18:24
heheheheeheheheheheheehhe I smile every time I think of it!!!!!!!!!!!!

MacEntyre
06-25-2010, 05:26
It's looking like I will not be able to make this trip. My wife is in a clinical trial for MS, and one of her checkups is during this trip. :(

I'll get out there for a visit one day, though. :cool:

- MacEntyre

oldgringo
06-25-2010, 05:51
It's looking like I will not be able to make this trip. My wife is in a clinical trial for MS, and one of her checkups is during this trip. :(

I'll get out there for a visit one day, though. :cool:

- MacEntyre

I'm sorry to hear that. Here's hoping for positive results from the new meds.

MacEntyre
06-25-2010, 10:20
I'm sorry to hear that. Here's hoping for positive results from the new meds.
Thank you, OldGringo... she's seen some improvement already, and the same drug just got approved for the more common form of MS.

If I can finagle it, I'll be there. It all depends on circumstances at the time.

pgibson
06-25-2010, 10:32
Mac, take care of your wife. Next years ID hang is only 12-14 months away. :) We are praying for good results.

jbehun
06-29-2010, 17:37
Thoughts and prayers out to you and your wife. joe

pgibson
07-24-2010, 09:47
Only about a month left :D I have been watching some very well done videos on YouTube by a hiker that has been hitting some more remote areas of the Sawtooths--lots of off trail hiking. While they are not of the exact hike area we have been planning on they are a lot of fun to watch. He got back to me last night and said he did not mind me re-posting them here and that he even sometimes uses a HH, I of coarse invited him to join us :D

Hykermann's videos of the Sawtooths.

57mm1kDCHI0

eyMU2ScZIhQ

He has several others that are fun to watch and well worth checking out.

PuckerFactor
07-26-2010, 09:37
I'm seriously hoping to join y'all for this! If I come, I'll be driving and making a road trip out of it, so I pretty much just need to work on the funding, and logistics, and secondary destinations. All the views I've seen of the area are absolutely stunning!

Hopeful,
Acer

pgibson
07-26-2010, 10:40
Hey Acer, it would be very cool if you could make it :) If you need any info on stuff to see out here let me know, there is lots to check out on the way.

pgibson
08-03-2010, 18:02
Anybody that is coming to the hang have a fire blanket? Just found out they--or a fire pan--are required for the drainage's we are hiking. I can get one or make one if need be but if anyone has one they can bring that would be great. I called and talked with the ranger district office briefly this afternoon and verified we can have camp fires in the area after labor day but they are trying to reduce noticeable impact and hence the fire blanket. Also I want to start getting a head count of folks coming. They told me about a 12 person per group limit, so if we are over that we need to be prepared to split up into more than one camp site and or plan to stealth more so. If folks could post if they are coming for sure or if they are a maybe so that we can get a rough total count that would help so that we know what that plan is, and so that I can start figuring on how many burgers to plan for. :D

KerMegan
08-03-2010, 18:57
not me.....
very sad- maybe next years'?

oldgringo
08-03-2010, 21:49
I'm in......

PuckerFactor
08-04-2010, 00:53
I'm about a 85.3% yes. Just gotta figure out how to make it work.

Acer

jbehun
08-04-2010, 08:32
Keep me in for two.... Joe

pgibson
08-04-2010, 14:46
85.3% Acer :D :lol: Well better than 85.2% Hope you can make it.

4 total 100% so far, any one else one way or the other???

trail_junkie
08-05-2010, 13:03
Had an unexpected trip to Wisconsin, so looks like I'm out.

jbehun
08-08-2010, 08:32
one month to go.....

pgibson
08-09-2010, 13:42
one month to go.....

Yes indeed, less than 30 days till we will be hiking into some beautiful lakes, fishing in some amazing spots, hanging under the clearest night sky. Hope some more folks can make it :):confused::) Going to be a great trip.

jbehun
08-09-2010, 15:04
More food for us Paul...but I hope more people can make it. How has the weather been, and keep us up dated on future weather.

pgibson
08-09-2010, 15:11
Weather has been perfect for hiking in the mountains :D In the valley it has been up in the high 80's -> upper 90's for weeks. Sucks to live in the desert, I hate the heat. But we have been taking some drives to go fishing up in the mountains on the weekends and as we climb up out of the valley and work our way over one set of mountains into the next and up the rivers we have watched the thermometer on the van drop from the mid 90's into the low 70's :D Mostly clear with some clouds here and there. Right now there are a few forest fires going here and there so some smoke in places and not in others--just depends on the wind. But nothing so far in the sawtooths area so looking good.

Might (if everything works out) be taking my wife and 6yr old hiking up there this coming weekend so trip report and current photos of what it looks like early next week if we can make it work. :D

oldgringo
08-09-2010, 15:40
Good idea, Paul. I'm especially interested in how hammock friendly the Petitt Lake campground is...it's easy enough to bring a stand if I need to.

pgibson
08-09-2010, 16:27
I will stop by Petitt and get some pictures at least, maybe shoot a few seconds of video :) I don't think it should be a problem to hang there. If there were going to be 30 some hangers????? where did everyone go??? :( Then it might have been tough but still doable. For the hand full of us we should not have any problem at all. Still trying to decide what hike we are going to do this weekend, we really want to go into Crammer Lakes--you take a shuttle jet boat across Red Fish lake, then hike 7 miles to the Crammer's but looks like we only have an overnighter and I am now thinking while it would be a great trip for him it might be a bit much to cover 14 miles in 48 hours for the 6yr old. Still trying to figure that out.

PuckerFactor
08-10-2010, 21:50
Well, it's beginning to look less and less like a road trip, and more and more like a moving party. Boo. I still might be able to bus or train my way out there, but that kinda takes the "road" out of "road trip". I'll hopefully have some solid move in/out dates soon, so I'll know for sure then I guess. :-/

Acer

pgibson
08-18-2010, 11:25
3 weeks and counting down.

plowhorse
08-18-2010, 11:35
sorry Paul, health and money problems are going to keep me from going. just starting to get where I can walk around the grocery store. I am going to see how I do car camping this weekend up in the sierras with my dad while he goes bowhunting. I was really looking forward to going on this trip too.

pgibson
08-18-2010, 11:44
Hey Bud, just glad to see you back around here :) Take care of your self. That is number one. I have been getting lots of folks asking to do another hang next spring and fall again so there will always be another time.

jbehun
08-23-2010, 18:06
bump....15 days

pgibson
08-23-2010, 18:12
bump....15 days

And lots of details yet to sort out. Drove though Pettit lake campground a few days ago. There are only a couple of the site that are suitable for hammocks so I will need to be making reservations soon. Also temps up there are quite cool so plan on cool weather gear for night time. Lows will likely be at or below freezing.

Any one that is coming for certain needs to let me know as soon as possible if you have not already. Space at the campground and "official" spots looks to be more guarded than most campgrounds in ID with a camground host and fenced off campground area versus the trail head area.

PuckerFactor
08-27-2010, 16:02
Well, due to moving, it looks like this is a no-go for me:unsure::crying::crying:
I will get out there one of these days!

Regrettably,
Acer

X-Lem
08-29-2010, 09:20
Doesn't look like this is going to work our for me this year. I'll try again next year.

oldgringo
08-29-2010, 13:05
...Drove though Pettit lake campground a few days ago. There are only a couple of the site that are suitable for hammocks...

The trees, Paul, how big? Are 6' tree straps going to be sufficient?

pgibson
08-29-2010, 13:09
The trees, Paul, how big? Are 6' tree straps going to be sufficient?

They were all skinny lodge poles, 2 foot straps should be more than enough in the CG, for the hike folks plan on 6-8's

pgibson
08-31-2010, 10:23
Only about a week left. OldGringo is going to be bringing some Venison for dinner the fist night. I can bring baked taters---no jokes....You know who you are..... We really need a full count of any other folks that will be coming so we can plan food, and sites for the first night.

There have been a few wild fires that for a time closed one of the routes to the sawtooths but things are open currently, I will keep an eye on those for route up dates.

And on the weather, it is cooling off, plan on highs in the low 70's at best lows into the lower 30's at best. One thing that the hikers MAY run into is that cooler air settles into the valley, making it much cooler when at the base camp overnight than when we have climbed up into the hills on the hike. This also crates some very cool pockets in the valleys, which we may run into at points along the hike as well.

In the off chance that we can't get one of the better sites in the campground for night one I have a possible alternate spot that is a bit out of the sawtooth valley but would only take about 30-40 minutes to drive the last bit to Pettit on the 9th. Dave looking back at the other sites in the CG I believe that one person should be able to hang at nearly any one of them, but a group of 3-6 folks would only work at 2 of them likely. So depending on avalability of those sites we may alternate to this other spot for the meet and meat and greet night.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4133/4945513242_592eff1763_z.jpg

oldgringo
08-31-2010, 10:32
I can get by with just one tree, Paul.:)

pgibson
08-31-2010, 11:02
I can get by with just one tree, Paul.:)

I know, I saw, and I want to see in person :) But you should not have to. Lots of trees in the forest. :)

outkastblast
08-31-2010, 12:05
I'm out officially. My car is having some suspension issues to the point where I really shouldn't drive it anymore. And of course, the money that will go into fixing it... :|

pgibson
08-31-2010, 12:33
Well not that I can cure the $$$ side but I am driving up with me and a pack, so if any one in the Boise area wants/ needs to carpool I am game. Depending on others schedules for arrival I have no set time to leave to head up. My car can fit 4 with smaller packs or 3 with a couple larger ones.

outkastblast
08-31-2010, 15:11
I figured you'd probably do a carpool, Paul. My original plan was just to come up for an overnight visit to hang out since I'm out of vacation days. So that won't work for me. I do appreciate it, however. Thank you.

pgibson
09-01-2010, 16:44
Just got off the phone with the ranger office in Stanley a little bit ago. Pettit lake campground is first come first serve so no reservation. If we can get site #2 then we should be fine, if it is taken then I suggest we find pick an alternate spot for the group get together on the 8th. I have a few spots in mind, one is the spot I posted before, it is about 10-15 miles north out of Ketchum, putting it a bit far to backtrack. Another spot is a few miles up the road towards Stanley from Pettit but is on the river, and not an established campground so no fees. It is off the higway far enough to not have any traffic sounds and is a quiet spot. It is up the Hwy 3 miles from the turn for pettit, There is also another road heading the oposit way to the base of the White Clouds that should have some spots for the night as another alternate option. When I have a chance I will post a map if need be for everyone coming, and in the event that we do need to pick one of the alternates I will make some sort of sign I can post on the Hwy. for the turn off. May do that any way as the signs to pettit are small and marked right at the turn so it can be easy to miss at 65mph if you are not watching close.

pgibson
09-02-2010, 18:16
We are coming down to the last few days before the hang :D :D :D

But we have a few more things that those attending should be thinking. For the pot luck night we need to figure out what folks are going to bring and what else we need to pick up.

Paul---Thinking of bringing some baked potatoes ready to heat up over the camp fire, some cinnamon rolls to bake fresh in the outback oven. And I will also bring a egg scramble to cook for breakfast in the morning. I (being the local one) can bring anything else folks want. I will though in a cooler for beverages of what sort please let me know ;) And can do things like paper plates a roll of napkins and any miscellaneous.

OG---Mentioned some venison, possibly for sloppy joes. :drool: Coffee pot for brew java for any one wanting.

What else???

Other details??? or info that anybody needs???

jbehun
09-02-2010, 18:42
Paul, I am good for the most part..got directions..rented a car in boise..flight arrives around 12pm,ish..I could pack some pennsylvania whitetail in my bag to put on the spit..maybe a little bourbon..will we be parking at the site or hiking to a site..determines the amount of extras to bring for the first night.. joe

pgibson
09-02-2010, 19:00
Sounds very good, :) We will be either very close to or right by the cars for the first night, either a camprgound or a spot we can park very close to the trees. Also for coming out of Boise there has been a forest fire that has had hwy 21 closed, I will check that again in the next day or two, so you may want to 1/2 think about going the freeway to hwy 20 to hwy 75 route though Ketchum from the south east of the swatooths.

jbehun
09-02-2010, 19:13
Yes I was planning on going the 20 to 75 route. What do you estimate the drive time is that way?

pgibson
09-02-2010, 19:24
It is about 4 hours to Stanley from Mt Home (where I am) and about 30-40 minutes from Boise to here. We will be stoping about 20 minutes before Stanley. Sooooo Just over 4 hours depending on stops along the way. One thing I will add for all that are going that way---Really watch your speed as you go through any towns. Especially Belvue, Haily and Ketchum, the cops in these little towns are very watchful of non local license plates and try and support the entire economy with speeding tickets. Most of them have you drop from 65 to 25 in a couple hundred yards so it is easy to go sailing into town and not even realize the change happened.

On the way up that route there are a couple of decent burger/milk shake shops and very little fast food. As you enter Haily and are passing the airport the road makes a S curve, on the right side at the stop light at the base of the S is Snow Bunny drive in. They are not real quick but good food.

KSC
09-03-2010, 00:13
Paul I can bring some a couple chairs, grill, lantern, table, etc. to make the first night more comfortable. Maybe a pasta salad, burgers and any other food you think we might need. Let me know.

Keith

oldgringo
09-05-2010, 08:06
Out the door...:)

pgibson
09-05-2010, 10:18
Drive Safe Dave, See you in a couple days. :D

KSC, the grill sounds good, I could not find a small one at the store, I am going to throw in a couple camp chairs, if you have a couple more that would be cool. Dave said he had a bunch of meat to bring so we should be covered on that but sides like the pasta would be good.

oldgringo
09-06-2010, 07:51
Drive Safe Dave, See you in a couple days. :D

KSC, the grill sounds good, I could not find a small one at the store, I am going to throw in a couple camp chairs, if you have a couple more that would be cool. Dave said he had a bunch of meat to bring so we should be covered on that but sides like the pasta would be good.

Cheyenne, morning coffee and a biscuit.

I have a little Weber with me, too. The feast is a go.:laugh:

gargoyle
09-06-2010, 09:08
I love it. Oldgringo mobile road reports.
Go Dave!

pgibson
09-06-2010, 10:17
That's a good little push to Cheyenne :) You are going to be the first up there probably Dave. Hope you packed warm!

oldgringo
09-06-2010, 19:28
Wyoming I80...antelope, wind farms, mining spoil, miles and miles of snow fence... a brutalized landscape.

Utah...one word: gorgeous.

Twin Falls, ID for the night and a shower...see you peeps Wednesday!

OG, aka High Plains Drifter

Barefoot Child
09-06-2010, 23:37
Sounds like the "High Plains Drifter" aka "Olde Hippy Dude" is flying nap of the earth, making note of each river, and listening to Goldie oldies on the truck's stereo. Bringing the deer meat and some tall tales for the campfire.

You boys have fun in them there Sawtooths, and don't forget to make up really good lies for us to read. :D:laugh::tongueup:

MuseJr
09-07-2010, 13:05
Just found the thread. Is this trip this coming weekend (9/11-12)? Stanley is close enough to go if I can schedule the time off this short.

EDIT: I got the info I was looking for. I'm just a little late for this one. Maybe next time...

jbehun
09-15-2010, 16:28
Well back to the grind after an awesome trip into the sawtooth mtns, with Paul, Keith, and old gringo...what a great bunch of guys. Joe

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=605&pictureid=4611

pgibson
09-15-2010, 17:07
Well back to the grind after an awesome trip into the sawtooth mtns, with Paul, Keith, and old gringo...what a great bunch of guys. Joe

Joe, glad you and Scott got home, just made it myself mid day yesterday, still trying to get back in the swing of work and real life. It was a lot of fun hanging out and hiking with you guys. Hope to do it again sometime. I will be working on my trip report as soon as I get enough stuff done to feel like I can take a few minutes to put it into words.

But here is one for the scrapbook :D

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4086/4991097751_31463ed459_z.jpg

oldgringo
09-15-2010, 17:57
OG is back in the hangar. Great trip, guys!

Best one-liner: "Imagine taking directions from that."---Kieth:jj:

pgibson
09-15-2010, 17:59
OG is back in the hangar. Great trip, guys!

Best one-liner: "Imagine taking directions from that."---Kieth:jj:

:lol:

outkastblast
09-15-2010, 18:01
I, for one, am anxious for the write up/pics! I've got to see what I missed out on. I'm still bummed that I couldn't make it work. Next year, I suppose.

jbehun
09-15-2010, 18:20
Can't wait for the rest of the picture Paul. Heres one for ya's to look at...

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=605&pictureid=4605

KSC
09-16-2010, 01:00
Glad I was able to make this one. I met some great guys (Paul, Dave, Joe & Scott). Paul, I hope you have another hang planned next year. I will definitely want to come.

Here is another picture of this beautiful area.

longbow
09-16-2010, 01:10
Thank you for the reports and pictures. I for one, have been vicariously enjoying your trip through your planning and now the reporting of the outcome. What a great area for a trip and the comradeship that you enjoyed as a group!