PDA

View Full Version : Under quilt: Has anyone taken this approach?

Daniel Cronk
09-03-2014, 06:03
Good Morning,

I looked to my existing inventory of camping gear to see if I could deal with the bottom quilt issue without spending any more money or having to build something. How about this? The process/effect of insulation is based on a layer of static, trapped air as it is a crappy conductor of heat - o.k. I dug out my "cheapo" hammock purchased at a local big box sporting goods store - 20 dollars - it does what it is supposed to do, without question. I hung it below the "real" hammock (the company name starts with "H" and I understand there is an adult beverage of the same name that supposedly is also good at "taking the chill off..") Into this "cradle" I added my Klymit Static V Inflatable Sleeping Pad - it works very well! I use the same pad while tenting and it does a great job. When uninflated, this pad is very small - think (about the size) half of a Pringle's can and very light. It inflates with no more than 20 easy breaths. We like to bike camp and want to do some kayak camping so avoiding "bulk" is important to us so this solution serves that parameter. The hammock is Asym with bottom entry - no problem - push the "quilt" aside, climb in, pull into position and let the hammock snap shut. Your thoughts? - dc

Cali
09-03-2014, 06:12
If it works for you, then it is a winner. :thumbup:

gnarus8429
09-03-2014, 06:19
I think as long as you can keep it tight enough to prevent drafts it should help. That could be addressed by using shock cord instead of a standard suspension on the "under hammock" (think bungee cords for testing). I have always wanted to try that idea with leaves instead of a pad but have been reluctant to get all my stuff dirty. Let us know how low you can go with it.

Baby Huey
09-03-2014, 06:37
I was thinking of doing something very similar with a UQP even if I had to beef the suspension up.
I live in Texas and am unsure exactly what UQ rating I should go with. I figured if I could get the UQP to support a little weight, then I can layer in light layers and even maybe a layer of reflectix or safety blanket if needed to kind of make it a UQ that can be adjusted to the climate.

ropa01
09-03-2014, 07:20
I use a sleeping pad but stick it directly in the hammock I'm sleeping in - inflated 3/4 so it follows the shape of the hammock. Works for me and is still comfortable (-10C). If you stick it in between the 2 hammocks just make sure you can adjust it easily while in the hammock.

Boston
09-04-2014, 15:18
You've basically made a double layer hammock.

gmcttr
09-04-2014, 19:50
You've basically made a double layer hammock.

Yep, double layer hammocks are made specifically to make the use of pads easier.

HF has an pad forum with lots of info...https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?10-Pads

Singingcrowsings
09-13-2014, 14:14
I do this for my Mayan indoors for the cooler seasons i.e 8 months out of the year, and use my freebird as the lower hammock. It works, but is not the bet set up. You really have to get it positioned right. Too loose and it might as well not be there, too tight and, well, same thing, but more uncomfortable. Once you get it right though... it makes for a very good night's sleep.

BrokenWings
09-14-2014, 11:38
I hang a second Brazilian hammock under the one I sleep in with a down bag between them. Fleece or down comforter on top. Toasty floating nest. :D All of it is klemheist - knotted to an iron pipe stand. No issues except the kitties like the setup too. :rolleyes:

nothermark
09-14-2014, 11:49
I might be tempted to add a piece of 1" or so open cell foam to the sandwich. It will expand to fill some of the gaps while compressing well during transport and not weighing much if you get the right stuff. Partly it depends on how cold you want to go.