PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a temp rating for a UQ

jcblough
09-03-2014, 09:16
I've been working on setting up my hammock for camping and insulation is the last piece I'm missing. I've been looking at the hammock gear quilts but being as how I sleep a bit warm, I'm not certain what to do. My main sleeping bag is a 20 degree so my impulse is to just get a set of 20 degree quilts. part of me though wonders if it would be wiser to get a 20 deg uq and then like a 40 deg top quilt to give me some more versatility. . . or do I just need an UQ? My bag is a kelty cosmic down 20 which is a duck down bag.

OneClick
09-03-2014, 10:05
A lot of people use a 20° UQ and 40° TQ combo. Works out well! You can get the UQ for now and try your sleeping bag to see how it goes. I did that for 2 years before I purchased a 40° TQ.

MAD777
09-03-2014, 12:07
If you have only one under quilt, match it to the temperature of your coldest camping. You can vent it in warmer weather. The only penalty will be that you're carrying extra weight when it is warmer. If you are camping all year round, a second lighter under quilt can be added to your quiver.