PDA

View Full Version : Wally world pad down to high 30's?

drninja
08-02-2009, 18:15
Hey all,

I just got my first setup, a Hennessy ULBPA. I'm headed to the Elk Mountains in Colorado next week for 3 nights and the forecast calls for lows around 40. Planning for it to be a bit colder than that, how low have you guys taken your wally world pads comfortably? I have a Golite Ultra 20 TQ and will be wearing midweight long underwear. I get cold fairly easily. Had a rough night last winter on a Thermarest Prolite w/ a North Face Cat's Meow at around 30 degrees.

Due to cash flow constraints, I don't really want to shell out much more cash for this trip. It would be a shame to have to go back to ground but I certainly can't afford a UQ right now!

shrek
08-02-2009, 19:24
I have gone down to 9 degrees by taping 2 blue pads together.

psyculman
08-03-2009, 04:20
I have the blue wally pad cut into a size that fits inside my down bag, and it's been to the mid teens comfortably, not sure how cold that set up would go down to yet. Highly recomnend it.

Cannibal
08-03-2009, 10:13
Shouldn't be any problem. The only thing to watch out for is excessive sweating while you sleep. Pads tend to make some people (like myself) sweat a lot. Waking with your clothes wet on a cool morning is just not fun. It might be worth it to take a thin sheet with you if you are prone to sweating to put between you and the pad. It helps a little.

But, the pads will keep you warm! Have a good time and welcome to the forum.

texron
08-03-2009, 12:12
Shouldn't be any problem. The only thing to watch out for is excessive sweating while you sleep. Pads tend to make some people (like myself) sweat a lot. Waking with your clothes wet on a cool morning is just not fun. It might be worth it to take a thin sheet with you if you are prone to sweating to put between you and the pad. It helps a little.

But, the pads will keep you warm! Have a good time and welcome to the forum.

Are you sweating in the BB? I was hoping the pocket might stop the sweating as I'm a sweating fool as well. For cold I was thinking of wrapping my pad with reflextics, or however you spell it. That might increase the sweat factor.

UncleMJM
08-03-2009, 12:22
Always good to see another hanger, especially another Texas one. Welcome to the forum.

Yosef
08-03-2009, 12:28
I think you will be fine if it calls for a lot of wind you may want to make a wing or two for the pad to put under your butt and shoulders.

I took my CCF pad and cut it off just below my knees and then put that bottom section under my but and it comes up around my hips. It works for me.

Good luck and welcome to HF.

Cannibal
08-03-2009, 12:52
Are you sweating in the BB? I was hoping the pocket might stop the sweating as I'm a sweating fool as well. For cold I was thinking of wrapping my pad with reflextics, or however you spell it. That might increase the sweat factor.
I very rarely use pads anymore; not even under my legs. The Blackbirds came out at the same time I was phasing out pad use, so I've had very little BB + pad experience. What little I do have has been using the GG pads and I've never had as many issues with those as I did the Wallyworld blue pads.

However, the layer of fabric does help with the sweating issues. I'm still damp in the mornings in a double layer hammock, but much less so. I'm also a very heavy sweater, so that should be factored in.

vitamaltz
08-03-2009, 13:19
I second Cannibal's idea of using some kind of a sheet between you and the pad. My solution has been to use a Cocoon silk sleeping bag liner. Usually I just lay the pad in the liner and the silk wicks away sweat pretty well. As a bonus, if I still get cold, I can take the pad out of the liner and put my body in it for an extra degree or two of warmth.

I use ridgerests, though, not flat CCF. They have the advantage of grooves that prevent you from getting too clammy.

texron
08-03-2009, 13:47
I very rarely use pads anymore; not even under my legs. The Blackbirds came out at the same time I was phasing out pad use, so I've had very little BB + pad experience. What little I do have has been using the GG pads and I've never had as many issues with those as I did the Wallyworld blue pads.

However, the layer of fabric does help with the sweating issues. I'm still damp in the mornings in a double layer hammock, but much less so. I'm also a very heavy sweater, so that should be factored in.

From your sig I see you use the Yeti. So what do you do about your legs? Count on the overquilt to take care of it?
I can't stand having a pad with me IN the hammock, so I'll be using a full quilt in my new Clark.

Cannibal
08-03-2009, 13:50
From your sig I see you use the Yeti. So what do you do about your legs? Count on the overquilt to take care of it?
Down to the low 40s - high 30s, yes, it's the topquilt's job. Works pretty good too! When it gets colder than that, I usually carry a small Gossamer Gear 1/8" pad, but have mostly just used my empty pack under my legs. This winter will hold a lot of testing, but based on last year's results I'm probably ditching the pads for good.

texron
08-03-2009, 13:52
Down to the low 40s - high 30s, yes, it's the topquilt's job. Works pretty good too! When it gets colder than that, I usually carry a small Gossamer Gear 1/8" pad, but have mostly just used my empty pack under my legs. This winter will hold a lot of testing, but based on last year's results I'm probably ditching the pads for good.

Pads just don't feel right in a Hammock.In my opinion, I realize others like them, my friend actually prefers them..he's a little sick though;)

Cannibal
08-03-2009, 13:54
Pads just don't feel right in a Hammock.In my opinion, I realize others like them, my friend actually prefers them..he's a little sick though;)
I agree (about the pads, I don't know your friend :laugh:).
Nothing better to me than a nice comfy hammock wrapped and covered in downy goodness. :shades: But, pads sure are an inexpensive way to get started.

texron
08-03-2009, 14:14
I agree (about the pads, I don't know your friend :laugh:).
Nothing better to me than a nice comfy hammock wrapped and covered in downy goodness. :shades: But, pads sure are an inexpensive way to get started.

You bet. Not veryone can afford, nor do they need a Snugfit with a Nunatak $$$$$.

drninja
08-03-2009, 18:59
Thanks for all the advice and the welcomes. Definitely going to be an exciting experience. I love backpacking but I really hate sleeping on the ground. Glad to be going to the sky!

Back on the subject of pads. I read a lot of you guys talking about cutting the pads down, and I was thinking of cutting it below my knees but isn't this going to result in frosty footsies? Also, I went and purchased the pad today and I only saw they had one kind (the $6 one). It's half an inch thick but only 20" wide. A little bit worried about drafts coming in through the sides. Is this the same one everyone else is rocking?

shrek
08-04-2009, 06:17
Thanks for all the advice and the welcomes. Definitely going to be an exciting experience. I love backpacking but I really hate sleeping on the ground. Glad to be going to the sky!

Back on the subject of pads. I read a lot of you guys talking about cutting the pads down, and I was thinking of cutting it below my knees but isn't this going to result in frosty footsies? Also, I went and purchased the pad today and I only saw they had one kind (the $6 one). It's half an inch thick but only 20" wide. A little bit worried about drafts coming in through the sides. Is this the same one everyone else is rocking?

I use this same pad. If you decide to cut it, you can just throw your extra clothes or your pack under your lower legs/feet for insulation. Personally, I use the whole pad with no problems. The 20" width can cause some cold spots along the sides, but you can always make a "pad extender" to provide additional width across the shoulders.

sir_n0thing
08-09-2009, 18:03
I have the blue wally pad cut into a size that fits inside my down bag, and it's been to the mid teens comfortably, not sure how cold that set up would go down to yet. Highly recomnend it.

I'm very new to this whole hammock thing and I had never heard of this before... putting the pad inside the bag. Sounds interesting... is this pretty common? I'm scrambling to figure out some insulation ideas before the WI cold weather hits, preferably without spending too much more money.... this season I've already bought a new tent, two used bags, and I have a deal on a Clark NX200 in the works here. I imagine eventually my wife is going to start wondering what the heck I'm doing with all this money! :eek:

Anyway, to the original poster... I bought a Wally World pad the other day. Have to wait for a hammock to confirm or deny it's cold weather abilities.

Side-topic: I am from the Austin area. Miss it terribly... do me a favor and walk outside sometime and hug a tree, or kiss the ground or something, and tell Texas I miss 'er!!!;)

BrokeEnthusiast
08-14-2009, 16:49

Cannibal, what topquilt do you use for those low 40's - high 30's?

Cannibal
08-14-2009, 16:54
Cannibal, what topquilt do you use for those low 40's - high 30's?
Either a down top quilt I got from Warbonnet or my DIY down quilt; whichever is closest to the pack when I'm packing. Both are about 2 - 2.5" loft. I also always wear mid-weight base layer tops and bottoms and usually a watch cap on my head.

pgibson
08-14-2009, 19:16
down top quilt I got from Warbonnet
:woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

OOOO a new toy maybe? or just helps to know people in places?

Cannibal
08-14-2009, 22:08
:woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

OOOO a new toy maybe? or just helps to know people in places?

He's built a couple of them. A fellow HF member in the cold north has a winter version and I scored a 3-season one. Luck is in the timing. I needed to outfit an extra person and was left with only my JRB Shenandoah for top insulation on a single digit trip. I called and asked if he had anything laying around and he sold me that quilt. **** nice guy! :shades:

Kankujoe
08-28-2009, 01:08
Anyone tried putting a ccf pad inside a light weight fleece sleeping bag (or bag liner) and then sleeping on top of the fleece bag?

Cannibal
08-28-2009, 09:38
Anyone tried putting a ccf pad inside a light weight fleece sleeping bag (or bag liner) and then sleeping on top of the fleece bag?
Yes, and it works pretty good. Even a sleeve of ripstop helps quite a bit, but slippery.

teletrekker
08-29-2009, 10:24

Tried that set-up last night. Two pads (blue ccf and uninflated thermarest) with fleece liner over the pads and a 20* synthetic for TQ. I spread the pads out so there was coverage over my shoulders. Very comfy and warm. But it only got down to the upper 40's. Heavy rain though as Danny came up the coast. Did have some dampness on top of the ccf pad when I got up this morning but I was dry and warm.

Don't see this being my set-up for hiking though. Last night I was in my back yard and was testing the HH in the rain and the pads in the hammock. Can't see packing two pads to hike with. I've got a Wiggy's liner coming next week and I'm going to try the Wiggy's as an UQ with the ccf pad in between.

pineapplenewton
08-29-2009, 10:44
I can't take a wally world pad to anything comfortably:lol:

Kankujoe
08-29-2009, 17:51
At Cabela's yesterday I saw a few different types of sleeping bag liners that may be useful to cover a ccf pad. One was "CoolMax", one was "Thermolite", one was silk and another was cotton.

The Thermolite, CoolMax & Silk were all about $50, a little steep for an experiment but they were light & compact.