PDA

View Full Version : HH with a Big Agnes bag/pad system - Comfortable and functional?

sir_n0thing
08-04-2009, 18:14
I'm very, very close to pulling the trigger on a HH set-up. Price to feature ratio seems to be a good balance for my current budget.
Anyway, one the single points about the HH that has held me back so far is the lack of a pad sleeve or double-bottom construction like the Claytor and JRB set-ups have.
That said, one of my bags is a Big Agnes bag with the built in pad sleeve. My question then is this: Does anyone here have direct experience with using a Big Agnes bag and pad in a hammock? It seems to me that this should work really, really well for the Hennessy, and should keep my bag and pad nice and aligned inside the hammock. Having never tried it myself though, I could be wrong!

What say you all?

Thanks for any input!

sir_n0thing

chezrad
08-04-2009, 22:08
I tried this type of setup in a homemade hammock. The issue that I had was very bad condensation from the air mattress. I made an underquilt and have never looked back. Just my 2 cents worth.

wahoo
08-05-2009, 10:19
I'm currently experimenting with a Big Agnes Lost Dog and a Z Lite. Been out a couple of times with this setup, mixed feelings so far. Seems a little cumbersome, but will continue to work with it and I'll let you know the outcome.

Ramblinrev
08-05-2009, 10:25
My only concern about the Big Agnes system is you still have to use the bag as a sleeping bag. I have found that to be extremely cumbersome in a hammock. While I am a big fan of sleeping bags (_I_ like their size for tuck and stuff) I use them as a quilt. It would seem to me that would defeat the Big Agnes pad system. If I had one already I would certainly try to use it. But I _personally_ would probably not buy a brand new BA system for that reason. If I could get a used one cheap.. I might play around with it.

animalcontrol
08-05-2009, 10:53
second RR...
One of the reasons I moved away from HH was how much of a PIA it was to get into a sleeping bag (before I knew about TQs!).
The idea of the sleeping bag and pad mated together inside a HH?? OH, the HORROR! :scared:
On the flip side, if you get this system, let's go camping together. Watching you get in and out of this system should prove to be very entertaining! ;)

Greg Dunlap
08-05-2009, 11:57
I have the Big Agnes Cross Mountain (http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Bag/CrossMountain) in a long left zip and use the Air Core (http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Pad/AirCore) pad with it. I was waking up with a cold backside so I added the Sleeping Giant (http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Pad/SleepingGiant) Memory Foam pad and it works out great.

sir_n0thing
08-05-2009, 19:05
Hah, thanks for the replies. I own a BA Crystal that I generally use with a REI LiteCore pad. Sounds like this wouldn't fly so well in a HH... In my mind's eye I can imagine it being a pain to get up in through the slit and then try to get inside a bag. Unfortunately my budget isn't going to allow both a new hammock AND a quilt... I suppose I could just go with my REI down bag? Animalcontrol makes it sound like having the bag and pad mated together, ala Big Agnes system, would just be ridiculous in the Hennessy.

Of course to be perfectly honest and fair, I haven't committed to buying the Hennessy yet. The Clark and the Claytor are both still in the back of my mind.

Ramblinrev
08-05-2009, 19:13
sir nothing... Underquilts for a HH do not need to be extravagant. It is quite possible to make a reasonable underinsulation system for the cost of a spare disposable sleeping bag, particularly in the summer and early shoulder seasons. There are several tutorials for adapting an old sleeping bag to an underquilt. It takes a little tweaking. (well sometimes a lot of tweaking) but tweaking is often free. I don't like the use of pads in any hammock. I don;t know if the HH is any worse than any others.

IF you choose to use a sleeping bag as a bag in an HH one of the ways to do so is to get into the bag outside on the ground and sit back into the hammock. Pull your feet in... and viola! you are in.

sir_n0thing
08-05-2009, 21:14
Thanks for the tips, ramblinrev! I saw your Youtube video "Underquilts on the cheap" yesterday. Good stuff, and definitely something to consider.

Hulk
08-11-2009, 14:34
OK....i'm a newbie. So far i have only spent one night in my hammock. I have a big A bag. I can confirm it is indeed possible, with a therma-rest type self inflating pad. It is also a major PITA to get into the bag. It seems the key to preventing the self inflating pad from bunching up is to inflate it extra firm.

However, i might go to an under-quilt if i can do it with less weight and bulk, and still stay toasty warm. But...can that be done on the cheep?

Ramblinrev
08-11-2009, 14:44
However, i might go to an under-quilt if i can do it with less weight and bulk, and still stay toasty warm. But...can that be done on the cheep?

It can... but it will cost you something. Either weight, bulk or both. Find some down comforters in the thrift stores and salvage the down. Make your own quilt cover. Or use some synthietic sleeping bags and convert them to quilts. Everything is a balance between the various aspects of weight, bulk and cost. You can do it cheap if you are will to pay a penalty somewhere else.

Bunn
08-11-2009, 16:20
I am a fan of the HH system and use a standard sleeping bag and therma-rest pad in it once the temps drop. Maybe its me but I have never had any serious issues with getting in and out of the bag or hammock. For me I inflate the bad about as firm as I can get it and lay it inside, place my sleeping bag on top and open it up. come bed time I just back in, set myself down as close to center as possible and rotate up and in, zip the bag up as needed and adjust the firmness of the mattress once I am in and comfortable. I have found that keeping that mattress good and firm until you are in helps it to stay on the hammocks/my best lay position. I will accept that it is not as easy as using a UQ/OQ combo, but it can be done.

rdbradish
10-18-2009, 00:21
While not an ultra lite rig by any means, I find myself quite comfortable in my BA Encampment with the left side zipper and insulated Air Core.

Although not a through camper or extensive back packer as many of you, I frequently use this rig on excursions lasting 3 or 4 days at temperatures into the 30's. I find the rig it self warm down to about 35 (the bag is "rated" to 15). At 35, the cold starts to leak through the back, so I'll throw on the cold weather bottom and pad. I've never used the top cover (and frankly, would prefer not to stay out at that temperature!!)

I sit, slide back onto the pad and throw the top over. When it gets cold, I zip up. No issues whatsoever.

psyculman
10-18-2009, 06:34
My Agnes insulated air-core mummy fits inside my Kelty -15. But also works well under the sleeping bag. It packs very small, compared to a UQ, is 21 oz. and has gotten me down to 30 deg. so far. Will be using it at colder temperatures this winter. The air-core works well in my HH. Of course, it's not as cozy as a UQ. For the weight, packability, and cost, I like it. Am looking forward to seeing how cold it will go.

deadeye
10-18-2009, 08:32
I use my BA insulated aircore short mummy pad (BAIASMP?!?) in either my HH or BB hammocks, and use my sleeping bag as a quilt. No problems, easy to get comfortable, and it's no different than my regular ground setup for when I choose to sleep on the ground.

BER
10-18-2009, 09:20
I used a BA Insulated AC with an old Snow Lion bag in my ENO in September. Had a little pad slippage issue from time to time. I was most comfortable with the pad about 1/3 full. I would think it would be easier with the integrated sleeve on the BA bags, even if you had to fully inflate initially to get it in the sleeve, you could always adjust once you were laying down. I personally did not find it difficult to get in/out of my bag in the hammock. In fact a couple times I stepped into my bag, then laid down too. That also works.

Now if only I can figure out how to build the right double hammock to use our BA King Solomon double bag.....:rolleyes: