PDA

View Full Version : How Much Cord Should I Buy?

thesleepingcoyote
04-17-2007, 18:24
I'm going to be making my own hammock and was wondering on average how much cord will I need for: whipping, a ridge line as well as line to attach the hammock to the tree. Also what diameter of cord works the best for whipping the ends. Any other info greatly appreciated, I do alot of rock climbing so looking to use the hammock when and if I have to bivy in it.
Thanks for your time
Cody

FanaticFringer
04-17-2007, 18:43
www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html

lvleph
04-17-2007, 19:15
It all depends on the setup. I only used 1.5' of 1500lb spectra (suspension). But then I used 100" of 300lb spectra (ridgeline). Two zipties (whipping). And 18' of webbing.

headchange4u
04-17-2007, 19:29
The cord for whipping the ends isn't that big of a deal. You can use paracord, small diameter climbing rope, even zip ties. Whipping is there to hold the gathered material together. You don't need anything that heavy duty for the ridge line. I use 2.5mm climbing rope.

Avoid nylon ropes; they stretch to much. You can use climbing rope make sure it's rated at 700 lbs minimum, IMHO. Most people here use webbing to attach to trees instead of rope. You will still need a length of webbing to go around the tree (also known as tree huggers). Tying rope directly to the tree can damage it and that's a big no no.

Be sure to look at Jeff's site linked above. I will give you a good intro into suspension techniques and it's an excellent resource for any hammocker.

thesleepingcoyote
04-17-2007, 20:29
Yea have checked out Jeffs site all good info just wanted to see how much cord everybody else uses. I'm planning on using 4mm climbing rope for my ridge line its rated for 1000+ lbs ; would this also be good for my suspension cord? What type of webbing do you recommend I was thinking of going with 11/16" tubular webbing because its a bit lighter and smaller than the standard 1" tubular.

slowhike
04-17-2007, 20:52
are you just going to be hanging your hammock from trees (near ground level), or are you going to be hanging from higher places.
if you're just going to be doing the standard type hanging near ground level, the 1" webbing that speer hammocks will do you well & weigh noticeably less than the tubular stuff.

thesleepingcoyote
04-17-2007, 22:03
Ill be on the ground mainly but I'm going to try and spend a night on the rocks? I really like tubular mainly because when I rock climb I use the tubular webbing as a rope guards by running the rope Thur them As way of protecting the rope. I have alot of excess tubular 1" and 11/16" sop that's why I'm asking about it.

slowhike
04-17-2007, 22:21
i would think either of the tubular webbings would be more than strong enough for hammock supports.
the 1" webbing from speer hammocks is only rated to 750lbs & i suspect that even the 11/16" tubular is rated higher than that.

headchange4u
04-17-2007, 22:30
I will also add that the length of the suspension lines depends on what suspension system you choose. I have, until recently, used 2 x 15' webbing straps and tied to a tree using a 4 wrap knot (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79). I needed 15' on each end to be able to make the wrap and knot. I am switching to the ring buckle system shown on Jeff's site and since I am trimming my webbing straps down to 10' each.

If you go with the climbing rope/tree hugger combo you would probably only need 10' on each end.

I would think that 4mm rope would be a little bit of an overkill on the ridge line, but it would work.

funbun
04-18-2007, 01:04
Dude, just use some old shoe strings for whipping.

For a ridgeline, just get the 1/16 inch stuff Speer sells.

I bought 10 feet of Spectra core 3.8 mm dia. for the lead line. And I still use 15 feet per side of 1.5 inch webbing I used with my first Speer style hammock.

lvleph
04-18-2007, 06:22
1000lb for ridgeline is a bit of over kill. You can get by with 300lb, some people use less.

thesleepingcoyote
04-18-2007, 07:35
OK I have some left over 3mm line rated for 300lbs to use for my ridge line.
Thanks for the info everyone,
Cody

thesleepingcoyote
04-18-2007, 19:45
The 4mm is rated for 1034 lbs. I'm use to using a bivy on the ground and I actually prefer to sleep in a small shelters, so I don't think I'm gonna mind a ridge line close to my face.

lvleph
04-18-2007, 20:23
I didn't even notice my ridgeline all that much. I noticed it because I had things hanging from it. 120" hammock 100" ridgeline.