PDA

View Full Version : Cuting a pad to fit???

TimberRider
08-08-2009, 13:22
I just bought a Speer's 1/4 x 80x40 pad. I am currently using a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe. I plan to use it inside the H. Can any of you guy's recommend the best way to cut it to fit in my H ? I need to know about length, width and any other cuts needed. I figured I'd look to all of you for advice before I picked up the sissors...:) Thanks in advance for you help.
T.R.

Take-a-knee
08-08-2009, 13:43
Well, a little longer than you are for starters. I'm 68in tall/ 165# and I need a pad 28in wide from my hips to my shoulders minimum, 30 inches would be better ( I think that is the width of the Speer pad?) I trimmed mine on an angle from my hips to my feet, leaving the pad 18inches wide at the foot. You'll probably want to clip the corners at the head also. Start conservatively, you can always trim more later. I used an evazote pad on a section hike last year, I folded it in half lengthwise and rolled it up and lashed it on the back of the Granite Gear pack that has since fallen apart. With my ULA I guess I'd just carry it crossways on top. That would complicate using any sort of pack cover though, except a poncho.

TimberRider
08-08-2009, 13:53
Guess I should have added my stats too. 6'1" about 230 lbs. I'm a cold sleeper too and I like to sleep on my right side. Don't know if that makes any difference?

Take-a-knee
08-08-2009, 15:17
Guess I should have added my stats too. 6'1" about 230 lbs. I'm a cold sleeper too and I like to sleep on my right side. Don't know if that makes any difference?

I'm GUESSING 32in wide for your torso, taper it to 20in at the foot, starting at hip level.

gargoyle
08-08-2009, 16:04
Lay the pad out on the floor and have a friend trace around you. Leave an extra inch or two from these marks. Straighten the lines out a little, or the CSI team might show up.:lol:

You'll probably end up with a coffin shape. I would make it 5 feet long. Then save the other piece for a second layer, during cold times. Or use the short piece, 20 x 40, for a sit pad/loner for friends.

warbonnetguy
08-08-2009, 17:14
cut acute triangles deep into the pad in the hip area, 2 per side, one just above and just below the hip should do it, make them very deep, but very acute, then gradually widen them till the buckeling goes away in the hip area.

TimberRider
08-08-2009, 19:14
Thanks for all the replies guy's. I thought I saw some pics on this site somewhere but with all the info I'm having a hard time finding it. I believe it was very similar to what WBG had suggested. Does anyone know where I can find that post?

Downhill Trucker
08-31-2009, 05:44
Thanks for all the replies guy's. I thought I saw some pics on this site somewhere but with all the info I'm having a hard time finding it. I believe it was very similar to what WBG had suggested. Does anyone know where I can find that post?

Im interested in a pic of this also...

Agfadoc
08-31-2009, 06:40
I am working on making my pad like 2Q's on his site. Although he has since moved to a quilt, the pad design is quite good and it is adjustable.

2QZQ site (http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/id59.html)

Look towards the bottm of the page.

Teemu Kalvas
09-03-2009, 05:51

You mean this (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=139487&postcount=11)?

It's cut for a Blackbird, though, and might be too wide in places for a Hennessy. Also, I'm only 6'0", so it's a lot longer than I'm tall. I find that a good thing when it's cold.