• Illustration: Weaving a Mayan Hammock

Hey folks! It's been a while since I last posted on HF and this seemed to be a good time to post. Many of you, like me, have been interested in weaving your own Mayan-style hammock, but there is very little online that helps clarify the weaving process and the edge "crochet."

I spent months pouring over YouTube videos, photos, illustrations, out-of-print books, and descriptions (and even promised my wife a cruise to South America) but finally figured it out. Woot! I knew the process wasn't that difficult, but when you watch a skilled weaver work with dizzying speed, it seems a bit like magic. I nearly cut apart my Mayan hammock as I deconstructed the edge crochet. In the end, it turns out the technique isn't that difficult, but becoming a master takes time and effort. (My wife says I can't get out of the cruise promise though...)

The post is long, filled with photos, illustrations, and a video, so I didn't want to repeat it all here, so I hope a link and some teaser content will work. If there is anything you need clarified, let me know.

> http://theultimatehang.com/2013/07/w...mayan-hammock/

For those who want to know, I still do a lot of hammock-related illustrations and posts, but I am archiving them on my blog now for safe keeping instead of on HF. Part of the reason is because I am now considered a vendor/manufacturer on HF, as my illustrations, posts, and comments are viewed as either a direct or indirect sponsorship/promotion of my book. Once I came to terms with that, I realized that it is better that I post everything on my blog to remain as transparent as possible. I still visit HF on occasion, but you'll find most of my major posts and illustrations on my blog. I'm sorry for the inconvenience this may cause, but I think it is the best way for me to remain clearly on the vendor side of the fence.

I still love giving back to the community, and my website is always free to access. There is no pay gate to access all my illustrations (many of which have been updated and reposted) on my blog and I hope it will be an easy way to see all my work organized and searchable online.

For full disclosure, I am not sponsored by any hammock vendors and I don't do 3rd party advertising on my site--I don't even monetize my videos on YouTube. I do occasionally receive hammock products to test and review, either privately for research or publicly on my blog. I will always disclose how I received the gear, unless I purchased it myself.

Anyway, 'nuff said. I still do a lot of pro-bono hammock illustrations for the HF community, so if you have a concept or idea you'd like to see illustrated, please drop me a line or a PM and I'll see what I can do. I have a few in the queue right now that I hope to publish soon.

Thanks for your support!
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Illustration: Weaving a Mayan Hammock started by dejoha View original post