Found this DIY bug net on reddit
What's your thoughts? Think that's a solid idea? My main concern is if it's hot enough for the bugs to be out, is the black sheer fabric going to trap too much heat in? He talks about how tough the fabric is in the video and how it's narrow enough to prevent any bug entry.
(also, not sure if he's a member on the forums here, if you are, Hi Cricket)
I can't find the thread now, but someone posted this video a few days ago. It is the forum member Fronkey design made with some ready made panels. Many folks love Fronkey's design, but the heat issue did come up with the material he is using in this video. Several people have used tulle fabric. It may not be as tough, but it is lighter and cooler, though maybe not as bug proof if you have no-see-ums to deal with. One forum member made this with the tulle, used it dozens of times with no tears or rips. Joann fabrics sells what they call fashion tulle at well under $2 yd. It is pretty tough to be so light.
I made that rig last week and have slept in it for a few nights. It's hotter than Noseeum, and really hot if it sits in the sun. There is some ventilation, a breathable shell concept, and I like it for cold nights, which are common here. Even more so up in the mountains. Lime disease is in the news again and those mozzies are tiny.
It packs smaller, but I haven't weighed it to compare to the Fronkey net I made last month. It's also a bit shorter than I wanted because the BIAS is an 11 foot hammock, plus, mine is 64" wide, so the net is fairly tight all around. Weight feels about the same.
Getting to like it a lot and made a couple of mods to the design. Mainly, cut the end openings to 2" instead of 7" and made the angle at 22" rather than 20". Would also change how I sewed the seam connecting the two pieces to a flat felled. I'm still new to the sewing thing, but learning. Will probably make another one that's sewn better, but this one works fine.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:06.|
Copyright ©2009 HammockForums