Originally Posted by gmcttr
This is a much greater loss than any other info I've seen on the locked brummel. Can you provide references? Thanks
Here is a thread where Samson Rope was asked about the breaking strength of whoopie slings made with a locked brummel....https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=12319
I concur. My (wrong) opinion was indeed based on the original 60% whoopie strength quoted by samson on another thread. So from the more up to date findings on the whoopie sling there is a 20% reduction in strength, presumably because the rope exits the bury midway along the rope. But since eye splices exit the bury at or near to the end of the rope, there is less chance of failure. But 20% loss is a good figure to allow for...
I found another site for tree surgeons where they have gone into great detail regarding testing Locked brummels, if anyone is interested. http://www.arboristsite.com/arborist-101/71341.htm
I for one will continue to use a Locked brummel rather than going to the added hastle of stitching or whipping the ends