Yukon Outfitters Hammocks
(at the time of this review, the web site was labeled as being a beta version and was lacking various details of the gear being offered)
Hammock with mosquito net
Purchased from Woot
Hammock with Mosquito Net
The Yukon Outfitters*Hammock’s integrated mosquito net will keep you comfortable in the great outdoors. If the coast is clear and you don’t need the mosquito netting, just flip the hammock over and use as a normal hammock. Yukon Outfitters hammocks are made for use on the trail, tailgating, camping, or at home.*
- 8'9" Long*x 4'8" Wide*
- Integrated mosquito net to keep little critters away
- High strength parachute nylon
- Double zippers system for easy access
- Two interior storage pockets for storing small items
- Lightweight and quick drying
- 275 pound weight capacity
- Triple stitched at weight bearing points
- Attached stuff sack for easy storage
- Mildew resistant
- Quick-dry nylon
Hammock*with Mosquito Net
- Dimensions......... 8'9" L x 4'8" W
- Weight Capacity...275 lbs.
- Weight..................19.5 oz.
- Country of Origin:*China
- In the box:
- Yukon Outfitters Nylon Parachute Hammock
- Hanging Ropes
Price about $30 with shipping on Woot...suggested sell price on Yukon Outfitters web site is $89.99. Tag on the hammock said $69.99.
Weight 1 lb 7.2 (23.2) ounces or 658 grams (this is the weight of the hammock and all included gear in the stuff sack taken just after I took it out of the shipping box).
Weight of just hammock with attached steel biners 1 lb 5.6 ounces or 643 grams.
Steel Biners 3.6 ounces or 103 grams
Line with cord locks 1.4 ouces or 40 grams ( for hanging net )
So claimed weight of 19.5 ounces for the hammock is about right
Very over sized ( nylon ? ) cord looped thru end channels and larks headed to steel biners.
Color looks like a military olive drab green
Feels similar to a Grand Trunk Double Parachute hammock, maybe a little courser. If you live in skeeter country, you will want to treat this hammock with Permethrin as it will be real easy for the skeeters to bite thru this fabric..
Feels heavy for its size.
Has attached stuff sack.
Quality of sewing is good ( much better than the sewing on my DIY hammocks
Removing the Rope and binners removes 5.3 ounces
Does not include straps or rope to hang hammock. Does come with line to suspend the mosquito net away from hammock. Pretty much what one would expect to get for a hammock at this price point.
Comes with a full page (no pictures) of instructions on how to hang and care for the hammock. While not great, at least it came with some instructions and they are well written which I find unusual for an item coming from China.. Still lacking but enough to get one started and into trouble,
I did set up the hammock for a few minutes and got inside. I did not get any pictures as it started to rain.
I am 6ft 2 and 280 lbs so that puts me a 5 pounds over the recommended weight limit.
The hammock held me just fine. However I found the hammock to be too small for me. Estimate it would fit some one about 5ft 6 and under just fine.
I used one biner to hold the netting away from the hammock and while I was not expecting it work, the one biner did a great job of holding the netting away from me.
There are 2 small built in mesh storage pockets ( 5” wide by 5.5” tall) attached to the netting , one per side.
If you are looking for a starter hammock with a net for yourself or a child then I think its a no brainer, order one, at $30 you can't go wrong.
The included instructions ( the spelling mistakes ect are whats on the sheet)
Mosquito Hammock - General Use and Care
• Integrated mosquito net to keep little critters away
• Lightweight and quick drying
• High strength parachute nylon
• 275lb weight capacity
• Double zippers system for easy access
• Triple stitched at weight bearing points
• Two interior storage pockets for storing small items
• Attached stuff sack for easy storage
Congratulations on the purchase of your new Yukon Outfitters Mosquito Hammock! The hammock’s integrated mosquito net will keep you comfortable in the great outdoors. If the coast is clear and you don't need the mosquito netting, just flip the hammock over and use as a normal hammock. Yukon Outfitters hammocks are made for use on the trail, tailgating, camping, or at home.
Hammock — Make sure your hammock is tethered to stable and safe location able to hold the intended weight, which is NOT TO EXCEED 275 lbs. Each end of the hammock is a loop of rope with hook attached. Make sure hook is properly installed and tight screwed shut prior to each use. The loop of rope is 14 inches long. The hook allows for easy attachment to your chosen anchor/hanging method.
Mosquito Net — Thread provided black bungee cord through two loops at top of mosquito netting, around 1st attachment point, back through remaining two loops, around 2nd attachment point, and back to starting point. Threaded cord ends through supplied cord locks, tightened and adjust to achieve desired net position.
1. Store hammock in a cool dry place, when not being used.
2. Always make sure hammock is completely dry before storing. .
3. Do not machine wash, machine dry or iron hammock.
4. Clean hammock using a gentle soap solution and wash by hand.
5. Line dry.
SAFETY FIRST: USE WITH CAUTION
1. Hammocks are not a toy and are intended for adult use only.
2. An improperly hung hammock is a safety risk. End user is responsible for insuring proper installation and use. Always ancho hammock to strong and stable structures.
3. Angle of the hammock should not exceed 25 degrees when in use.
4. Always distribute weight evenly across the hammock surface area. Excess weight placed in a small area could damage the hammock and become a safety risk.
5. Enter the fabric seating area carefully to avoid flips or falls.
6. After use, store hammock properly in attached stuff sack to prevent weather damage. Inspect the hammock for strength and sturdiness prior to each use.
7. Always keep hammock away from high temperature or open flames.
*ProIonged exposure to weather conditions including snow, rain and humidity are not covered under the warranty; nor is damage caused by normal wear, mildew, and improper care including storage, maintenance, installation or animals.
Visit us on the web at www.yukon-outfitters.com
Picture of hammock is from Yukon's web site. Also included copy of instructions that I scanned.