According to a herpetologist local to us (PA) the danger of fatal snake bites is somewhat overrated. His statement was the vast majority of bites seen in hospital settings are dry. His reasoning is the snake is not about to waste venom on something that it can not eat. Having said that.. he goes on to say that all snake bites should be taken seriously and checked out by medical people, but the horror stories of rapidly fatal snake bites are often overblown. IOW, expedited medical care is in order. Panic is not.
This information is probably dependent on the species of snake as well. He was referring to the copperhead and timber rattler in particular.
Trekking poles make good crevice/log poles and I use them that way frequently.