A few random thoughts...
So I made a zippered TravelPod. Not perfect yet, but I like it. Thing is, I made it barely to short to use with my most recent down hammock. So I made another hammock, shorter and wider, to fit the pod. I was kinda surprised at what I found.
- This one is much more comfortable than the down hammock. I started with 62"x114", hemmed, and used a zip-tie instead of whipping. I think I'm back to using full-width material.
- Also, with the shorter hammock I'll get better end-coverage with the tarp. Except I'll be more diagonal, so the coverage by my feet and head might be a bit worse. Doubt it'll make much difference either way.
- The two-way zipper on the TravelPod is much more convenient than the drawstring opening on the hammock sock. I think I made the pod too wide, though...haven't decided if I want it smaller or not. Right now it'll fit over the ridgeline and still give me some space underneath the hammock. I could remove an ounce or three of material, though.
- Here's the funny thing - the material I used for the hammock is very staticky. So that got me thinking. I bet if I used this fabric for the top layer of a down hammock, the static would cause the down to stick to the underside...right against my back. No cold spots that way!
- I made a 6 oz backpack, too. At first it was even bigger than my Speed, but I took some of the thickness out. Now it's probably 2300ci or so, with a water bottle pocket on each side and a mesh tarp pocket on the back. I put a panel against my back to hold a sit-pad and act as a frame. After making this one, I think a gearskin-type pack might be even easier to make than a normal pack.
I'll have pics and details of these up on the website sometime...hopefully before the move.
“Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story
- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
- Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover
IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER