Here's my latest set up that I will be hanging for the next few weeks in order to determine my next next step. I used the SMC descender rings and webbing to get this latest set up.
The first step in setting it up is to get wrapped around the trees and get your webbing threaded through the rings. I found out quickly it seems to work better if you place the rings on the side of the tree in relation to your hammock rather than in line with your hammock. If you pick the right location for the rings the rings still do not contact the tree, only the webbing.
Since this webbing is slipping through the rings when under load I place a loop through the doubled up webbing to prevent slippage. Note there appears to be no stretch with this webbing.
...and just in case a smart alleck horse walks up and decides to mess with your webbing you apply the horse safety by slipping the tail of the webbing back through the loop. Even with the R&D part involved it took me about 10 minutes to get the hammock hung. Once I get used to it I think it will take me a few minutes tops.
The factory rubber coated hook will be going away but is working for now. I suspect the hook will be cut off and just the factory loop used in the near future. In the loop will go Dutch clips.
These are the slings that came free from work. Marines know this type of equipment procurement as having "fallen off the boat." They work great, were the right price but are heavy and cumbersome relatively speaking. I suspect these will be replaced with Amsteel and possibly a different type of gathering. The other end of the Amsteel will go through the Dutch clip. Note the hammock material is sewed on this end but simply doubled over. On the other end of the hammock the material is also folded over but unsewed so I can use a sleeping pad later. The original goal of this hammock was for it to be a test bed and that is working out really well.
So here's the latest set up from a user perspective, which is proving to be quite comfortable with the double layer of material in any position, on the diagonal, sideways, back, feet in or out, whatever.
The width is about 48 inches and this may prove to be too small ultimately but again I want to give it a fair shake before moving on. It is too narrow to sit in sideways for me but may work well for someone else. I left the necessary material in place so I can easily go back to 60 inches wide by pulling the thread and resewing.
Right now the overall length of 12 feet is proving to be a minimum for me.
I will be adding pockets with velcro so I can experiment with location, position, size, etc. easily. Overall this one is still a science project that may look nothing like it does right now when I am finished but that was the goal.
Here's a simple reason for being outside rather than in. One that appeals to me anyway.
I would also like to note that 99% of everything involving knowledge came from these forums and for that I am truly grateful!