Are all of you getting in a top loading hammocks? The ones I have are all top loading and the method I use is as follows:
Hang headlamp on ridge line, and turn on so not totally in the dark.
1) position pad in hammock.
2) lay sleeping bag on pad with zipper at the top and unzipped almost to the foot box
3) spread the bag open and have the hood positioned where my head will end up at when laying down.
4) holding near edge of sleeping bag against top near edge of hammock, sit in hammock, swing feet in and lay down.
5) a few small wiggles and pulls and there is my sweet spot.
6) zip bug net shut, zip bag as closed as I need to for warmth. ( most times just tuck feet in foot box and leave unzipped and thats good till about 40 F. Any lower and zip it up higher )
7) get out book and read for a bit. Head lamp on ridgeline works great and batteries last for hours.
8) put book in ridgline pocket, hang glasses on ridge line, turn out lite and the rain falling on the tarp lulls me to sleep.
Has been a very rainy summer and fall here.
The key to that system is top loading and turning the sleeping bag so the zipper is centered on the top. And that said this self proclaimed know it all, is the best method. OK I do digress.