WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    I too am interested! Please PM me when you get down to me, and we can arrange payment.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    I have concerns about using 5/8" mule tape for tree huggers, when most folks are using wider, 1" strapping.

The whole purpose of a hugger is to avoid damaging the trees we hang from by distributing the load of the suspension. For lightweights, and kids I don't see a problem, but by reducing the strap size, we're again increasing the pressure on the tree, and possibly damaging the tree.

Has anybody looked into this?
    Interesting question I will be watching to see how the discussion develops. While 5/8" in considerably smaller than the one 1 inch that is normally used in tree huggers. I am thinking that they may not do as much damage as one might think. Rope is obviously round and therefore the curved surface presents a very small contact area with the tree. Thus the possibility of causing tree damage. The 5/8" mule tape is flat and in my mind should distribute the hanging force much more evenly. Thus greatly minimizing or eliminating any possible tree dmage.
    Terry

Hammock
    GT UL and Home Made
    Tarp
    Home Made sil
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ Homemade
    Suspension
    Home Made Woopies
    I did a job with verizon who gave me a ton of this stuff. They just throw it out when it was used just once. Past poster asked if it could be dyed? Yes, I dye mine black and it doesn't hold well but it came out silver the color of my sil tarp so it looks pretty cool. I like better than black.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    I have concerns about using 5/8" mule tape for tree huggers, when most folks are using wider, 1" strapping.
    I plan to make all the straps I supply 10 ft. and encourage my Scouts to wrap the strap multiple times if possible.
    I'm guessing that this spreads the force somewhat, but it's only a hunch.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Yes, the mule tape is flat AND soft and doesn't saw into trees. When I can I do multiple wraps, just for extra protection of tree.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Synthetic
    I'd be interested in buying a box.

Thanks for the offer. Just PM me when you are ready for payment.

I'm thinking that this would be great to use with tarps, so you don't cut the tree bark as you slide the cord around.
    Last edited by mike777; 09-24-2010 at 14:10.

I would be interested in a box or 2 for our scout troop. When you are ready forward me the payment information. Thanks

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Bags4266 View Post
    I did a job with verizon who gave me a ton of this stuff. They just throw it out when it was used just once. Past poster asked if it could be dyed? Yes, I dye mine black and it doesn't hold well but it came out silver the color of my sil tarp so it looks pretty cool. I like better than black.
    That's good to know. I was hoping to dye black as well, but I'll take silver over white.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    I plan to make all the straps I supply 10 ft. and encourage my Scouts to wrap the strap multiple times if possible.
    I'm going to try and sew up a set with the straps side by side, giving me a little more than an inch. Probably just bar-tac across. I'll post photos when I get to it...assuming there is enough of this stuff that I get a box.

Hammock
    GT UL and Home Made
    Tarp
    Home Made sil
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ Homemade
    Suspension
    Home Made Woopies
    While I sew I don't bother with this stuff. I just put a bowline in the ends. It holds knots well. Yea it's not professional looking that way but as stated before its a loose weave and a single stich kinda gets lost. Bar tacks are the way to go if sewing.

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    I am not a Quant by any means but I will take a stab at this-
    Let's say the tree is 30 inches in circumference (about 9.5 inches in diameter)
    Let's suppose our hanger weighs 200 lb
    Lets say he has hung the hammock at the perfect angle so the pull on the suspension and therefore on the tree straps is equal to the weight of the hanger (200lb)
    Finally assume that the weight is distributed equally around the tree by the strap (hugger) which of course it isn't, but we will say it does for now.

For one inch webbing we have 200lb per (1 inch by 30 inches or) 30 sq. inches. Or 200/30 = 6.67 lb/in*2 (psi)

For 5/8 inch webbing we have 200 lb per (5/8 inch x 30 inches or) 18.75 sq inches, Or 200/18.75 = 10.67 psi

So, using simple thinking here the force on the tree is inversely proportional to the width of the webbing ( strap, hugger). That is the narrower the webbing the higher the force, which is intuitive.

I would also guess the force is not equal all the way around, but primarily along the the side of the tree away from the hammock, so that would mean only half of that 30 inches is Really pressing on the tree which in turn means that you would get double the amount of force that I calculated on the back side of the tree. So think roughly 13 psi for 1 inch webbing and nearly 22 psi for the 5/8th. For a point of reference, a normal human blood pressure is 120/80 mmHg which is about 2.3psi/1.54psi. So if we applied the psi of the 1 inch tree hugger around your arm it would cut off the blood flow to you arm with more than 10 psi to spare. Or, since it takes between 7 and 15 lb of force to break a rib, if you wrapped the strap around your rib cage and applied the force you are applying to the tree you could easily break a rib.

Be kind to the trees

-Mark

P.S. Another thought here, is that the smaller the tree you pick the more force you are applying to the bark. So bigger trees are better.
    Last edited by SlowBro; 09-24-2010 at 13:26.
    -SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast