So you nipped the corners off making the outer edges of the hammock 2 inches shorter and ended the differential 6 inches in.
I originally had the channeled gather and saw the floppy sides. So I pulled the edges and whipped it, but I think I pulled closer to 4 inches, looked like 2 to me but wasn't. Now the edges were steel bands and I couldn't get out. I retied but this time I think I'm closer to 1 inch. The sides are a bit floppy but I can get out of it and it slept fine.
Sooner or later I'll get it perfect 'For Me' and then go on to tarp or bug net. Both have to be done and repeatable by June. I also need to build some model airplanes.