Originally Posted by AlabamaDan
What did you make your hammock and cover out of? Looks nice. Would you mind sharing more about the hows for a newbie?
Sure, This is just my way, probably not the best way. Made of DWR, lightweight stuff.
Once you get the hammock just like you like it, pads or quilts in place and hanging like you like it and the pull-outs where you want them, stretch a length of shock cord from the two places near the carabiners where you want your cover to begin. If you use a ridgeline, that would be even better. I don't use a ridgeline once I have finished the cover.
Measure from your pullout connect point to the top of the ridgeline or bungee. Do both sides to be sure, Mine was a total of sixty two inches from the tip of one tie out to the one on the other side after going over the ridgeline. Mine were not asymetric but were centered. Length was 92 inches from knot to knot the long way.
I cut out the fabric leaving two inches for hems, so the overall width was over 94 inches because the inch for each seam is taken from the edges, not the points. ie. if you were making a 45 degree angle, a 90 degree included angle at the tips where the tie outs are, you would end up with about 1.4 times the one inch seam allowance on the very tip of the fabric, each end.
I sewed velcro to the hammock that would utilize my SSF under quilt's velcro. So I sewed the opposite velcro to the lid, or cover. This makes attaching the cover to the hammock easy. But my already made sock, or weather cover had velcro loop on one side and velcro hook on the other so I can close it off from withing the hammock. That means that one edge of the sock won't be the correct loop or hook to attach to the hammock or the lid, so I made a piece of velcro that had hooks on both sides times about 8 feet long to put on the one side that would not match up, a sort of adaptor. Had I been using Omni that sticks to itself no matter what I would not have had to do this. Next one will be omni stuff.
After fitting the lid to the lower sock, the configuration was: hammock attached to SSF, and hammock sock attached to hammock sock lid. (The sock adjusts with a cord in a tunnel on each end and is supported just like a JRB underquilt, with shock cord). Finally I sewed a patch of velcro to the lower sock that was about 18 inches from the long end, did this in four places. I put the top back on with the under sock and marked where the opposite velcro should go and sewed three inch lengths of the opposite hook and loop to the lid. These get closed so that the lid doesn't come completely unattached to the sock when getting in and out of the hammock.
I then sewed grossgrain from those places where the velcro was on the lid to the opposite side of the lid in a straight line as the lid is laid out on the floor to hold loops and closed end loops used to hold a spreader bar on each end like a claytor. Attached the spreader bars and shock cord to the center loop like a Claytor and hung them from about the same place on the tree (garage) as the hammock straps are hung.
There you have it. You can see the Claytor style grossgrain in my lates thread called "Hungry Anaconda-maximus skins".
Let me know if I can help you further. Mule