This project kinda took over my life for a couple weeks.
It was easily a week of planning and design, and a week of building, and adjusting to real life measurements.
I used a lot of 3D CAD, calculations, measurements, etc
Here is how it all started:
I have been a bit unsatisfied with the lack of efficiency when a standard winter underquilt is used. The little gaps that form in the gathered end hammock fabric are tiny freeways for heat to leave you. Add to this the problem of having it adjusted perfectly to avoid any dead spots, or gaps, and it was just lacking too much IMO.
Perspiration freezing in your down is also a real concern. I'm no arctic explorer, but like to pretend sometimes.
Also, I do not like to use a tarp because of any temperature needs.
I want it up when there is precipitation and want to have a full tree/sky view otherwise.
A UQ protector is not the best idea in sub zero weather.
Thinking about building a UQ into a normal nylon hammock brought too many problems to mind. Mostly based on the hammock stretching creating thin spots in the quilt, wind chill, etc.
Enter Cuben Fiber>>>
-Very little stretch
-Vapor barrier keeps your insulation dry
Once I realized that this COULD work. I was unable to leave the idea alone. This is definitely a prototype, and I will see how well it works. My confidence is high though, and I can hardly wait for the cold weather to settle in.
More to come. Thanks for looking.