Originally Posted by tygr
That's almost exactly what I did when I made my own "snake skins."
- I cut two pieces of black tulle into 6-foot lengths and 8-inches wide with no taper.
- At both ends, I sewed pieces of bias tape to create nice finished ends.
- On one end, I folded it six inches and sewed another piece of bias tape (creating a "new end") so that it overlapped itself.
- Then I folded it in half lengthwise (short overlapped end inside itself) and did a zig zag stitch the whole 5' 5" length.
- When finished, I turned it inside out and ended up with a similar setup that started this thread.
- This made two skins; one for each end of the tarp.
I didn't know how tight it would be for my AHE Shangri La tarp, but found that it was very doable to get it in; although very snug in the middle.
Both skins combine for a total weight of 13g/0.5oz. Pics are posted in a reply below.
I did basically the same thing but I used green heavy tulle. I like the pocket idea, maybe next time.