Well, the UQ is sewn up and ready for stuffing! It's defintley not a professional job, but it looks a heck of a lot better than i thought it would!
Thus far, the most difficult part was sewing the baffles to the inner shell after they were already attached to the outer shell. Trying to keep that much loose, slippery fabric straight was a chore. Hindsight being 20/20, I shouldn't have used black to mark my stitch lines. Once you lay folded noseeum over the line, it almost disappears.
Here's a few pics of the process of sewing the baffles/ darts to the outer shell:
The marked base shell:
The first baffle, being pinned. (I cut them 5 inches wide, giving me an inch of seam allowance on each side for a buffer against crooked sewing
The first stitch line! Sewed the first baffle on:
All of the baffles sewn on:
Sizing up the first dart. Darts were something confusing to me at first, but once you cut the fabric, it makes sense. Since I'm using an outer shell that is much wider and longer than the inner shell, to provide extra loft, you have make sure that the edges are the same length without cutting the fabric. The best way to do this is a dart. Basically, you are "pinching" the fabric at the edge of the outer shell, and then sewing this pinch shut. For instance, if your outer, or bottom shell is 10 inches wider than the inner, or upper shell, you need to put a quantity of five two inch pinches at the edges, or four 2.5 inch pinches, or one 10 inch pinch, etc. Once you've sewn these in, your outer fabric's edge is the same length as the inner fabric.
A sewn dart, once completed. My darts were 2.5 inches wide, by 4 inches deep. Their ends stop right at the end of the seam line for the baffle:
I unfortunately didn't take pictures of the process of sewing the baffles to the inner shell, because it would have looked like a big jumble of fabric. Basically, I just sewed them on left to right, like a zipper. I got good enough with the sewing by the third or fourth baffle that I didn't need to pin the folds down, and I just kept my seam gauge handy to double check my work as I went along the seam. I've got three of the four edges hemmed as well, and one end and side channel sewn on (I ran out of grosgrain after doing one long edge
. I'll have to run to the store tomorrow).
Once the third channel is on, I'll take some more pics and post them up. Diva, I'll make sure I get a good pic of the cross section of the open end, so you can see what the baffles and asymmetrical cut do prior to stuffing.