Today, I decided to jump in and hem up that 1.4oz ripstop nylon I bought a while ago. I purchased enough to make a double layer hammock but decided to make 2 single layer hammocks instead and tackle an underquilt and top quilt next.
It took me about 4 hours and almost 200yd spool of thread but I'm done. Let me tell you this: this first attempt was gruelling! I could streamline my process a bit but I'm pretty happy with the outcome.
I hemmed the long edges first. Keeping the fabric feeding in a straight line took a lot of practice. It got much easier (and I could feed much faster) when I kept tension on the side of the fabric heading towards the needle... First stich was a fold about 1/4 inch. I then folded the whole thing over on its self and ran 2 more stitches.
On the ends, I did a similar process but realized I could save a couple runs by tripple folding the edge and running my first stitch at the bottom - followed by 2 more lines about 1/4 inch apart.
My stitches varied wildly in a couple places but for the most part are spaced decently.
I pulled 24 inches of amsteel through each end and tied it off, pulled one end into my new stuf sack and added the descender rings, stuffed the hammock into the sack and did the same for the other end.
My suspension for now is the 2 10 foot long tree straps I sewed up previously. Here's a quick youtube video:
My daughter is now the proud owner of the Equip hammock and stock suspension. I'm proud to say I have a DIY hammock, myself...!